Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Oxalis, aka Sourgrass

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 16:53

The bane of my existence used to be Shotweed, but the Oxalis is rampant in my garden and everywhere on my property this year. Have always had it but I guess all the rain we've had since Spring has made it grow leaps and bounds. I'm forever pulling the stuff, seems like the next day it's right back! This is the one with the small yellow bloom. Mine can get very tall and almost shrub like if I don't catch it looming under the daylilies. And it seems to love growing under my boxwood hedge.

The wild violets are just as evasive this year despite pulling gobs in the Fall and this Spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Oxalis, aka Sourgrass

What's that saying? If you can't beat it, Eat it! Oxalis and violets are both edible. Also Garlic mustard- my bane. I like oxalis tossed with dandelion greens & ferns-fiddleheads & simple oil, vinegar & lemon dressing.. Garlic mustard is too strong for me, as are ramps. If I get enough rain there will be 2 or 3 morels by the creek. The same flood that brought the garlic mustard brought the morels.
Susan

o
RE: Wild Oxalis, aka Sourgrass

We used to eat "Sourgrass" when we were kids but just for fun, not actually in a recipe. My dad and mom always talked about eating dandelion greens but never heard them mention the fiddleheads, altho I know they are edible. What part of the violet is edible? just the bloom? My violets are no longer blooming - just growing - and BIG.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here