Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Best seedlings for the year.

silverkelt
11 years ago

Since my camera died, I might as well post of the best from this year so far..

1. Jerry Hyatt X Purple Cheetah its my most flashiest seedling , it pops, its big with 7-8 inch or bigger flowers, with neon pink watermark and darker purple colours. Its also tall with medium vigor.

{{gwi:309256}}

2. Chang Dynasty X Cave Creek Caynon, Its been a charming winner all year.

{{gwi:309253}}

3. Cosmic Oddyssey x Jitterbug Blues

4. Clouds of Glory x Fringy

5. Texas Painted Eyes x Gilded By Grace

6. One of my many PC kids, but one of my favs

7. (lreneexsingsen) x (bluehippoxbreadinwine) seedling

{{gwi:309259}}

8. Randy Stephens X Bass Gibson (am shot)

{{gwi:309257}}

pm shot...

{{gwi:309261}}

9. K/W/O end X bird talk

1. Glory in Red X Talledega

{{gwi:309262}}

1. Leslee Renee X ss kid

1. Carol Todd X Monets Garden..

last Ill share here.. one of my UF out of pc kid crosses.

Silverkelt

Comments (13)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Holy cow! There's no way to pick a favorite out of that bunch. They are all so beautiful.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

You call them seedlings...........Are you breeding them? Are they difficult to germinate and grow from seed? Do you share or sell seed?

They are beautiful!!!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    11 years ago

Some of the prettiest daylilies I've seen! I have the same question as mandolls. How long does it take seeds to flower? I'm so used to these always being cuttings. I'm just beginning to really appreciate daylilies and I REALLY like some of those vibrant shades...dude.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I cross alot of my daylilies and sometimes sell some of the crosses.

In the north its a 2-3 year process, I start my daylilies in Jan-Feb time frame inside, about 500 a year, they go into the ground in may-june time frame, then 80% of those will flower the next year, a small percantage the year after.

Ive grown about 2000 or so seedlings but out of those only 50-100 are worth keeping in the end, out of those only a dozen or so are truly fantastic. Just say you plant 15 seeds of one cross maybe 3-4 are any good, you quickly realize faults in others. Its really a long process, I dont want to discourage anyone, but I want to tell the truth as well..

You can buy great crosses on the lily auction (you can buy great plants there as well, if you just want some, instead of starting from seed)

Good crosses go between 10-20 dollars for 5 seeds, great crosses from the best sellers can go nuts, that teethy one I won 3 years ago for 60 bucks.. but thats as much as Ive ever spent on one cross. Then its the roll of the dice, the reason you pay so much for those crosses, is they come from the most reliable sellers, who know thier stuff, have great seeds and thier stuff is true to thier word.

Its FUN if you want to do that.. , if you have the space go for it. I have 1k daylily plants int he ground give or take. I start culling about now, ripping out the worst of the worst, or giving away the ones that are just not up to snuff or I dont want around to pass genetics around, (sometimes plant at church)

I do have seeds I give away, but this year Im going to pass them to someone who asked in the daylily forum already.

I generally sell a few of my crosses on the lily auction in a couple months or so.

Just a couple more..

{{gwi:309265}}

Silverkelt

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

That is all very interesting. You must have a lot of land and gorgeous fields of daylilies. Have you ever looked into marketing/naming them? I have no idea how that process works, but some of your dalilies are truly remarkable and very worthy.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Wow! Beautiful! You have several that would make me dog-ear the page in a catalog.
    I've noticed I tend to like daylilies with light colored edges rather than dark. I think it's because they look like they're backlit. #10 is my favorite. #8 is pretty too. It looks like the edges are on fire.

• finchelover
    11 years ago

wow! is right,I have not been a favorite of daylilies but can you tell me where you purchased the bulbs

• mytime
    11 years ago

Like finchelover, daylilies are not my favorites (if I'm being honest, it's because so far I can only get the plain bright yellow one to flourish and bloom reliably). But I have to say that those pictures of yours would have me buying daylilies right and left. They are absolutely gorgeous!!!

• User
    11 years ago

Awesome blooms,..every one a winner.

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

loving #8 and #10 is a close second!

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another shot at # 8 with my new camera, this is as dark as it can get, its usually a more pinkish color..

{{gwi:309246}}

and another one of the cosmic oddessey x jitterbug blues cross..

{{gwi:309247}}

Sponsored