Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floriade 2012

Posted by thyme2dig NH 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 17:22

Hi All, I've been away for a bit so I can't wait to go through all the posts to see what everyone has been up to and peruse some beautiful pictures.

I was at Floriade 2012 in The Netherlands last week and thought I would share the photos if anyone is interested. It was a very light, festive mood with all sorts of neat displays and whimsy. Really quite a treat. There's lots of photos in the link! Hope you enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Floriade 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floriade 2012

What an interesting place both plantings wise and architecturally. Another to add to my list. Thanks.

o

I should have added that Floriade is a once every ten years event that is in a different place in The Netherlands each time. It would be interesting to go back in another 10 years.

o

It had the flavor of a World's Fair type of event to me, so not surprised that it is only every 10 years. Thanks for noting that.

o

Susan -

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your garden travel photos!

I wonder if you know how long the preparation for this took. Was it planted last year for this year's display? What was the land like before the exhibit and what will happen to it after?

o

Hi Barb, Glad you enjoyed them! I heard it took 2 about years to prepare but I was unable to get a confirmation on that. Spring bulbs were planted in the fall of 2010. They worked the surrounding landscape into the park. The existing forests separated the themes w/in the park. Once Floriade is closed the area is going to become the Venlo Green Park which will include businesses in the area. There is already an urban development plan in place.

o

What was the weather like in Holland? Has the Continent been fairly normal this year. Thanks for sharing these pics. Everything looks fairly tall, perhaps typical for this time of year. Did you get any ideas that could be transferred here?

o

Hi Mantis, weather is normally sunny and about 72 this time of year. It was cloudy/rainy and 65 most days. They said it hadn't stopped raining since May. Very abnormal for them.

Honestly, I didn't bring home too many ideas from what I had seen. Sure, if I had a huge area where I could replicate some of their long sweeps that would be great. Overall it was eye-candy. Perhaps as I ponder my pictures something will pop into mind that I can put to use in my garden. I found that with the Chelsea Flower Show, while much more prim and proper so to speak, I brought home many ideas from that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here