Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Look how my Cottage/Butterfly Garden has grown

organic_kitten
13 years ago

I'm pretty happy with the growth this year. Especially considering a little hound had "escaped" trailing her lead and she wrapped that lead around a number of the plants...(Including most of the tall zinnias.) She pulled up a couple of the salvia, but I replanted them and propped up the zinnias and they have recovered too. (I walked out and found her in the garden wound around a lot of my prized butterfly plants. I "unwrapped" everything as carefully as I could.

One of the Little Joe Pye was broken, but new growth is emerging and the other one looks very good. The butterfly bush lost a few limbs, but it will recover. All in all it could have been much worse.

View From the End of the Path Through the Garden:

{{gwi:728349}}

View Across the side:

{{gwi:728351}}

The iris bed will extend another 8 feet toward the side of the bed, and a rose gard3n will be planted back on the other side of the butterfly garden (away from the back of the greenhouse).

kay

Comments (8)

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

It looks great. I can't even see any damage. Plus I love the way you have the stepping stone curved path. But if you need filler color for the first year, you can always just stick afew zinnias here or there. In fact afew minutes ago I was watching a hummingbird and two butterflies in the zinnias in the front yard. The hummingbird worked its way from the hummingbird mints to the zinnias.

I do see the tiny little iris in the iris bed, they really look small to me. Are those new ones you ordered or ones you divided? One of my iris orders came today and I am planting them now (except for breaks LOL!).

The rose garden addition also sounds really marvelous. Remember cluters of roses planted closer together have more impact that the one here and one there method. But everyone has their own way and own vision of how it should (will) look.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita,
    You know me. I have over ordered, so there will be clusters for sure:). I took several pictures from different angles today so I could actually plan a little of what I am doing, based on the projected heights and sizes. Plus, I have a few day lilies coming to place.

Those are divided iris. They require a good bit of watering as it has been so hot and dry, but they seem to be holding their own with one possible exception.

By the way. I bid on the auction on a selection that you have mentioned being interested in getting. I will not be bidding really high on this one, so if you do want it, go for it. I've already placed my maximum bid in reserve, and I will go no higher. (And it is less than $50).

kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I have to stay off the LA. If not I will be in big trouble as I have no will power to stop myself from buying. I still have my last four rose bands to plant that must be here near a month by now.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Hi Kay,

That looks terrific! Everything has really grown. I love Zinnias & Salvias. They are definitely butterfly magnets. Your Zinnias don't appear to have any summer damage.

Hound dog huh?
    I can relate...
    :)

It has been so hot and so dry here that even the Salvias withered today. You know it is dry when salvias wither. I cannot water deep enough and often enough and the forecast is that we can expect the temps to go up to 100.
    On top of that, the pump on my water holding tank keeps shutting off. Need a bigger tank. Only holds 30 gallons.
    So I am kind of leery about running the water too long, afraid it will completely go out on me and I will be without water. Then everything would die for sure.
    Blast it.

Anyway, your plants and garden are beautiful. Really has turned out lovely for you. Congratulations1

~Annie

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Annie. It is so hot. I am beginning to wish for fall. It is forecast that we will stay near, at, or a little over 100 for the next few days with heat index up to 110. The greenhouse is very hot now even with the fan and the shadecloth. It's,106 a lot of the time.

I have to water also. I think I will put in some type of system to irrigate part of the yard before next year. Even my butterfly bushes got into some trouble with the heat and the shortage of rain.

I am enjoying the new garden and the butterfly visitors.

I am planning to put a little rose garden in, but, as I said earlier in this thread, I had to bring the first little roses indoors. They are doing quite well for now, and putting out new growth. When it gets under 90 for a few days, I will start trying to harden them off to the outside, but not until then.

Boy, I can imagine you don't want to burn out your pump or run out of water. It is really hard when you need to water (have to in this heat) and the water isn't plentiful. Isn't there always something to worry about? I guess it keeps our brains nimble.
    kay

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Love how things are looking. Zinnias are one of my favorite annuals. They are so useful to fill in bare spots.

Weather has been an issue for all us gardeners this year. We either get too much rain at one time or not enough for a long time. Next week is supposed to be even hotter for us.

If you plant very late in the day so the plant has overnight to recover it can be a help this time of year.

Annie, sorry about your watering troubles.

• DYH
    13 years ago

I think your plants will recover from the little escapee encounter! Zinnias are true butterfly magnets and the colors and blooms are so gorgeous.

Is that zinnia 'Uproar Rose' that you have along the bottom front in the 2nd photo?

Cameron

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cameron,
    I planted zinnias from Walmart, generic pink, purple, and yellow "giant" zinnias. Then a neighbor gave me a lot of zinnias that came from seeds she had saved.

The large ones you are asking about are actually from the Walmart seeds. I plan to save seeds from them to plant again.Who knows if they will come back true to the seed, but they are truly pretty.

kay

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years