Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Zinnias, Portulacas and Coneflowers

newyorkrita
13 years ago

{{gwi:645332}}

Zinnias in the front yard.

Portulacas are really doing well.

Gala daylily blooming in front of the new hot colored coneflowers planted this spring.

Comments (11)

• scottyboipdx
    13 years ago

lovely! i always forget how much i love zinnias until i see them in someone else's garden ;-)

• DYH
    13 years ago

I like how you're using the portulacas. I always think of them as xeric plants, but yours are in a lovely, lush setting.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have the Portulacas planted in front of daylilies in three areas of the yard. They don't seem to mind getting some water when the daylilies are watered. The garden is so very cottage garden, I had problems envisioning the Portulacas fitting in with those funny leaves and stems. But they fit in just fine and look great. Lots of constant color.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I planted some portulaca late, but it is coming along. Your, however, is beautiful! I love the colors. and it is also very lovely the way the cone flowers and day lily echo each other's colors.

And zinnias are always hard to beat. Everything you are showing is looking beautiful, as usual.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The coneflowers and the daylily matching each others colors was one of those happy accidents. I hope they continue to bloom together like this each year as I really like the way it looks. GALA is really VT GALA, one of the late bloomers I got from Olallie Gardens last August.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I like the portulaca too, used to have it around the courtyard years ago and it seeded down in between the stones. Yikes. Took years to get rid of it; but now I'm trying to think where I can plant some next year. Your gardens are so lovely.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I will find out if the Portulacas self seed for me. Even my neighbor told me they would self seed and come up next year. But I intend to replant them in the same places they are now so if the self seed, no harm done.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I like the mixed portulaca and zinnias. I haven't grown mixes in years but I think I might next year. I think the colors of your two mixes would be nice together too, they are beautiful and so fresh looking!
    The daylilies and cone flowers really compliment one another, very nice design choice!!!

• libbyshome
    13 years ago

Oh luck. Zinnias without rust.

Lovely pictures.

Libby

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know about luck. I have roses so spray them with fungicide (fungicide ONLY) or they would get blackspot and mildew. I spray the zinnias too. Years ago before I had roses my zinnias used to get mildew. But no longer. They never used to get rust!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Beautiful! My Portulaca's & Zinnias are doing great too.

I planted my P's i a large pot and they're glorious sitting up high and draping over a bit. Those two plants are staying on my list for next year.

They both get a lot of water.

Sponsored
Expert Cabinetry Refinishing & Refacing in Loudoun County