Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loving my coleus combos this year

Posted by winsomegardener (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 18:31

I have used coleus plants in bare spots around my garden for years with great success. Decided to pot up different combinations this year and am thrilled with the results. Thought I'd share a photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loving my coleus combos this year

Love these together also, especially since the adjacent daylilies and black-eyed Susans are coming to life!

o

I love coleus in the garden or in containers too and usually plant at least several. I didn't buy any this Spring tho. :( They come is so many varieties and colors now days.

o

Glad I could share mine, then, Schoolhouse, so you can get your fix! I agree with you. The colors are so beautiful! I find myself drawn to the deep colors like the crimson and burgundy shades.

I am hoping to propogate these with cuttings in the Fall to bring indoors so that I can enjoy them next summer outdoors again. I bought some at a local farmstand at 2 plants for .99 (I love a bargain) on clearance and they did not come with i.d. tags. I love them and figure that without their names, I would probably have difficulty locating new plants next year to replicate this year's combos.

Have not propogated coleus plants since I was a kid (4th grade class Science project) but remember that they rooted fairly easily and quickly. Have you had any experience w/ propogating them? I'd love your input if you have any advice to share. Thanks in advance!

o

Those are absolutely Gorgeous.I don't have any coleus this year either.Kinda just forgot about them.So I got my fix with yours as well.TFS
Kathi

o

You remember correctly they are easy from cuttings. But if you have the space you can just bring the whole container inside, as Coleus are tender perennials and can winter over inside.

I grew these from seed this year - Black Dragon and Limelight Giant

o

Very pretty! I also love coleus altho didn't plant any this year. I did some containers last year with burgundy/lime coleus and lime sweet potato vine.

I've taken cuttings and they are easy to root either in water or soil. I've also grown them from seed.

You can have lots of plants from one if you bring the main plant in before frost and cut it back to give it a nice shape. Root the cuttings and you will have many plants by next spring. Coleus needs to be cut back to grow nice and bushy or it becomes lank and not pretty.

o

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. Glad you enjoyed looking at them, Kathi. I always feel strange posting pix on here b/c it seems like "showing off" but it really is just that I want to share the beauty of nature with others who I know will appreciate it. :)

Mandolls, yours are gorgeous. I love the chartreuse colored leaves paired with the darker colors. I purchased three trailing hydrangeas online this year but ended up paying quite a bit for them. I may just have to try growing from seeds next year.

As for bringing in the whole plant, I'd love to do that but don't know how you'd keep the bugs from the soil from invading your home. Any hints on how to safely bring plants indoors while leaving the bugs outside?

o

Photos are shared to give ideas and to show progress of a project or a plant's growth or combinations or placement in a bed or so many different reasons. I never think anyone is posting to show off. Glad that you want to share the beauty with us.

After a week away it is time to replace those tired old spring pansies and violas. I cut back the petunias but may replace them also instead of waiting for them to grow out and bloom again. You have inspired me to plant some more coleus in these pots.

o

My favorite coleus is Religios Radish, A deep wine leaf with pink border. I don't know how to do pics, but if you have a chance, get this one.

o

I keep all of the branches as cuttings in water until it warms back up outside. Also works with Persian shield, Perilla. These are all saved cuttings.

o

House plants and various cuttings. In this area, I purchased 1 sweet potato vine with different leaves than the one I already had.

o

All of the Coleus here is from saved cuttings except one purchased plant, had different leaves from the ones I already had.

o

Everything is about half as big as last year, this pic is from October. That's a 55-gallon drum, they got really tall, especially the Perilla 'Magilla.' This row of color was done with just saved cuttings from the winter before last. Don't think I'll have any spots this great at the end of this season, but there's still some time...

o

Hello,
In that first picture, can you tell me the name of the (I think) bright lime green fern behind the coleus? Very pretty.

o

Hi tinywojo,

You are correct that the large potted plant is a fern, but I do not know the name of it. I swapped plant divisions with a neighbor years ago and have had these babies popping up everywhere. Decided to pot this one up and I like it, too. I have seen similar colored ferns that appear to be the same cultivar in nurseries and big box stores in my suburban NY area so I assume they are plentiful. Sorry I can't be of more help.

o

Can anyone tell me the minimum temp for coleus inside? I just killed mine tho my pots of wax begonia and pink splash / pink polka dot are making it through. Outside I keep coleus near those other 2 so I would think they could all be kept in the same area inside??

Any tips and tricks to overwintering pots of coleus in my living room? In my z8b I turn off the heat when we are gone during the day so it is sometimes apx 50F inside. No interest in lights in my warm climate, just wait and put everything outside. Gorgeous coleus in the pics! Thanks!

o

Below 40, Coleus plants can start to freak out. I'd start to be concerned if regularly exposed to temps that low. About half of my plants, including some Coleus, are in a room that can get down to around 50 on really cold mornings.

o

Purpleinopp, thanks so much. It was 14F several nights and must have been too cold by the windows.

I propagated the coleus last summer and gave young plants to a gardening friend with a sunroom. We are to compare notes in the spring and trade cuttings of plants that survived inside. Hope to trade wax begonias and pink splash for coleus cuttings. Thanks again!

o

Awesome plan! I don't know about this winter, but for years, my Mom has had a patch of wax Begonias that come back every year. You might try some in the ground if you have a spot. Last year polka dot plants (pink splash = Hypoestes?) survived outside. Not sure if they'll show up again this spring after the exceptional cold spells.

The only Begonias I've had problems with were tuberous/Reiger. All the others I've encountered are able to survive being brought inside for winter, very cool since they're so hard to find at stores - any kind that's not a wax.

That's why I try to keep Coleus I really like too, when I'm able to find ones that aren't rainbows and wizards one can grow from seeds. Not that I don't love these dearly, just know I'll be able to find some in the spring, inexpensive 6-packs. Any other kind - you might only see it once unless you're lucky enough to live near even one real garden center.

I wish Iresines and Alternantheras were more abundant. These are a lot like Coleus, in wild appearance and ease of propagation, and look cool with Coleus.

o

This year's coleus combos. The love affair continues...

o

Mine combo.

o

Love the pink combinations against the blue colors, haxuan. Very pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

o

Beautiful Coleus displays and great tips on overwintering and growing from cuttings,..you will probably all shoot me but i had forgotten about Coleus despite having had them in abundance,..alas it was 20 years ago,..now you all have me thinking again.

o

Yes, glengarry23, they are very easy to overwinter and this year we grew them from seed and had at least 30 plants of varying types. I am having a ball with them although my yard is starting to resemble a coleus farm! I also love the trailing varieties which I have only seen and purchased online.

Glad to have provided some inspiration. Jump back in to the coleus pool whenever you are ready!!!

o

It is always so wonderful to see everyone's pics! You definitely are inspiring me. I adore the one river_crossroads posted (and it looks as if haxuan has that one, too. May have to make a run to the nursery to look for that one even though it is late in the season to start one!

o

Hi winsomegardener,
yes i surely intend jumping in the pool,..its amazing how many flowers you can get from just one packet of seeds,..or cuttings,..i never purchase plants always seed trade and i am addicted to taking cuttings,..Coleus and Amaryllis are top of my list.

Philip

o

winsomegardener: thanks for your kind words.

Xuan (s-w-a-n)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here