Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Got the Blues?

Nell Jean
14 years ago

Do you have Larkspur still blooming?

The big show was weeks ago here, but little plants still have come up and are blooming around the edges of beds.

Larkspur
S. farinacea

Do you have Salvia farinacea?

My favorite pictures from the Garden Bloggers Spring Fling in Chicago were the Lurie Garden ones with great swaths of blue/purple Salvia in prairie style gardens designed by Piet Oudolf.

Please show us your blues, blooming now.

Nell

Comments (22)

• libbyshome
    14 years ago

As ever, a blue poppy.

Libby

• janetgia
    14 years ago

Creeping bellflower; photo is from June 22 but I clipped off the spent parts yesterday and there are still blooms on them, plus buds that haven't popped yet. And of course, seedlings everywhere :) Kind of blue-violet.

{{gwi:730466}}

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Cape Plumbago.
    Jim

• bluesunflower
    14 years ago

A blue thread, what a great idea Nell!

• token28001
    14 years ago

Convolvulus tricolor is the only true blue in my garden at the moment.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Dark blue agapanthus. It is much darker than this appears.

• ianna
    14 years ago

Nothing, in my mind beats out the cape plumbago. It's unfortunately I can only grow it as an annual up here. I did once try to overwinter the plant but without a greenhouse, it wasn't a successful endeavor.

Ianna

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

What lovely blues...my favorite garden color.

Aquilegia seedling

{{gwi:730476}}

• jovy1097
    14 years ago

{{gwi:219445}}

• treelover
    14 years ago

That's a lovely combination, jovy. What is the white-flowered plant on the right, in the first picture?

Now that the larkspur are done, I've no blues except for plumbago, which isn't quite up to speed yet.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    14 years ago

Bossjim1, your plumbago is stunning. Since it's only annual here, I'm lucky if it gets to be a foot and half high.

What cultivar of columbine is that? It's absolutely gorgeous.

And that poppy is a beauty.

• DYH
    14 years ago

This is NOT in my garden, but I wish I had the ceanothus like I saw growing everywhere around Paris, France:

• kristin_flower
    14 years ago

Great! Another chance to show off my delphiniums.

{{gwi:253971}}

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    Thanks for the blue thread. I am looking for blues for my garden right now, and the plumbago has captured by heart. Here's something called "Dwarf Plumbago"- sorry, son't know the botanical name.

Renee- occasional poster, full-time lurker

Dwarf Plumbago

• natal
    14 years ago

Blue Daze...

• treelover
    14 years ago

kristen_flower:
    Your pinks & blues bring on a strong felt-sense of Cape Cod, where I spent summers as a child. I noticed it a few weeks ago when you showed your roses with your blue-trimmed house in the background in another thread. Now it's happened again. The intensity is spooky, but the memories are great!

• jovy1097
    14 years ago

The white flowers in the picture with my plumbago is just a white four o'clock. I also have a Ducher rose bush in that picture.

• kristin_flower
    14 years ago

Tree_Lover - I'm glad my pictures bring back happy memories for you! I'm a long way from Cape Cod though.

• alisande
    14 years ago

Wow--this group knows how to do blue!

Here are some delphiniums. The top two-thirds of this photo are taken up by a huge limb of a very old King apple tree. A few days after the picture was taken, a section of the tree--itself the size of a large tree--came down just beyond the flowers you see here. I'm sure glad I wasn't digging there at the time.

• angelcub
    14 years ago

Hi Renee! good to see you over here. : ) That's ceritostigma plumbaginoides. I have it growing in most of my beds. It looks great under roses and hides their occasional bare legs quite well. Blooms in shade and sun - now how can you beat that!

{{gwi:730491}}

{{gwi:730493}}

{{gwi:730495}}

{{gwi:730496}}

Cameron, we have lots of native ceanothus that bloom blue in CA. I grow Sierra blue, which is a deep blue. Concha is another fabulous one. They don't like summer watering so they're not good in areas that get regular rainfall from May to Oct.

Sue, love your delphs!!!

Diana

• chickadee_42us
    14 years ago

Love blue, the only blue I have blooming right now is plumbago.

• threedogsmom
    14 years ago

Nice Harvest moon Ech. and Balloon flower combo blooming now in Zone 6:

Sponsored