Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Are there any cottage gardeners from San Diego here?

girlgroupgirl
10 years ago

Are there any San Diego area cottage gardeners on this forum?

Comments (9)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Not in san diego,but am just north of you in Oceanside,along the coast.
    Kathi

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kathi, I'm not there yet, but we are seriously thinking about it. Gardening will be very different, and we'd be coastal too. I have a friend who lives in Oceanside, but he's not a gardener!

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you have any photos of your garden Kathi? I'm also wondering about watering. I would plan on a grey water system (which is allowed there), but I'm wondering how expensive watering is. We'd be downsizing mainly to a small garden, lots of native plants but also some food and fruit trees.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Put my name in the search engine at the top,just as it shows on my post and it will bring up my garden pictures here.I have some here at cottage gardens,cacti & succulents,garden junk,and various other places here on garden web.
    Kathi

Our water bill is included with our trash, sewer, and street sweeping it runs just a little over 100.00 a month,which I don't think is bad at all,when you consider all that we are getting for that.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's more than reasonable. We pay much more than that now for all those services and they only sweep the street once a year now. In general though our taxes are much lower here, so I guess it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other! I will certainly do a search, thanks. I don't want anything large - probably will not have a cottage garden again especially since we'll probably be living on a postage stamp. I don't want to give up gardening, but I can no longer keep up because of my back and my husband has been wonderful helping but he's decided it is not something he wants to do on a larger scale. I will have to be a gardener who becomes "normal people" :) ha ha!

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

I used to live in Vista just outside Oceanside. I still have lots of family around the area. The whole area is (in my opinion) a gardeners paradise. :-) There are (were?) many fantastic small nurseries and gorgeous garden eye candy. I especially loved the Encinitas Botanical Garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parks and Gardens in the area you are considering.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Freezengirl. Yes, there are quite a few nurseries and garden centers, and lots of growers just outside of the city too. I've not been to the Encinitas Botanical Garden yet (will go this next trip), but the Balboa Park gardens are my favorites. Living close by the park is something we've considered, so I can walk over anytime I like.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

freezengirl.
    2 of my sons live in vista.How long ago did you live there??
    Kathi

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

Trying to calculate (I am 53) so it has been a long while. I lived there from 1973-1977, 1979-1985. Back then it was just a small town as were all the communities around it, mostly semi-rural. It boggles my mind to see how much it has changed!

One interesting thing that I notice every time I go back to visit regarding gardens. I live in two cold climates, Minnesota and Alaska. When I garden in either state I focus a lot on color and shape of plants (but mostly color cause I don't do subtle!). I have this theory that in cold or snowy country that our eyes are starved for color by the time spring rolls around, due to the high moisture levels we have a million different shades of green to work with. Yet in California where a person could go insane with the variety, season and colors available, the most effective (in my eyes) are the gardens that focus on the shapes/texture before color.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner