Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Snow Lady shasta daisies

pippi21
12 years ago

Gosh, when the temps are close to 100 degrees, flower conditions can change in a matter of a couple of days. Today it was 100 plus..earlier this week I noticed my Snow Lady seed pods were starting to turn brown and I did deadhead a few that wasn't quite dried; laid them in an unused birdbath in the sun..2 in. of rainfall and wind came Friday afternoon which was much needed, and drowned those seed heads. This afternoon, DH and I lifted the top off the birdbath..even with two strong people, it is heavy. We dumped the wet seed heads and there was a small bit of potting mix in there, surrounded by the rainfall. Dumped it on the lawn and hit the bowl of the birdbath with jet spray setting to wash it all out and put it back on the base of the bird bath. It is solid concrete and why we ever bought this birdbath years ago, I'll never know. We struggle every time we have to lift that bowl off to clean it.

Getting back to my story and how quick things change in the gardens. This afternoon, I noticed the Snow Lady leaves are brown and I cut the seed pods off and planted the seeds. I'll do more tomorrow. Some I direct sowed, and I'll cut back the plant to the ground and it'll start growing again. In Sept. I should be able to move it elsewhere. Needs to be moved more up in front of the border as it only gets 12-15 in. tall. I'm half tempted to try to dig it up and transplant it now and see what happens. Has anybody had any experience moving daisies when it is so hot?

Comments (5)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

You can dig up the daisy, pot it up and move it to shade and keep it well watered, but frankly, transplanting it somewhere else in the garden when it's this hot is probably gonna do it in. Perhaps save it and reposition it in the fall?

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I've done it but the plants took a lot of care with watering.
    If you can wait until temps cool you will have an easier job and less stressful plant.

• cardwellave
    12 years ago

I bought a large! shasta the other day. I kept it watered and in the shade for about 4 days then about two days ago I planted it, submerged it in water first, filled the hole with water, then filled in with dirt and then watered twice that day. Next day one flower was kind of wilted but still looked good. I layed the hose nozzle with soak setting on next to it for about 10 minutes today. Just trying to baby it.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Two options:
    Move it to the new location and rig up a shade over it (immediately & temporarily) until it takes root. Keep the soil damp and lightly mulched, but don't get water on the plant itself. Give it a diluted dose (a fix) of Miracle Grow in water. This will 'help' prevent wilt.

Or: Don't move it now. Rig up some kind of shade over it so that it is not in direct sunlight until this heat passes or Fall arrives. Give it a diluted dose of Miracle Grow in water to give it a boost. Move it in the fall.

I am having a similar problem with my fancy Shasta daisy that I just love. The soil where it is growing is pathetic and dries out way too fast, even when we're not having a drought. I hate that bed. I've added all kinds of amendments and still it is always dry. Blah!

Gotta find a better place for it...and my other flowers too.

Good Luck!
    This heat is a MAJOR drag!
    ~Annie

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the useful tips. Annie, your Shasta daisy bed sounds like the bed where my roses are..we have admended that bed and it is always dry and always has such fiberous roots in it. Also the cable line is buried in there so I have to watch digging.

Sponsored