Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few for today from Georgia

Posted by girlgroupgirl 8 Atlanta (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 4, 10 at 20:13

On this lazy July 4th we've had fantastic weather! The house was wide open and the cats were in 7th heaven!
porch relaxin

This was one of the bouquets from church today. There are azaleas in it! I have no idea where Henrietta got the azaleas from! The gladiolas are gorgeous.
bouquet from church

The crinums have been multiplying! This has more scapes than ever!
crinum 2010

Purple coneflowers and grey headed coneflowers
coneflowers

Seed grown tigers, I think they've been waiting 4-5 years to show!

what's up tiger lily?

Veggie Garden!
more veggies

Happy 4th my American friends!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few for today from Georgia

What colorful blooms and I love the last picture of your two homes and that fantastic veggie garden. You've done a great job GGG.

FlowerLady

o

I agree. I love your colors. I need some tiger lilies for my yard. I also need more veggie space.

o

Happy 4th of July to you ggg. I think we got your weather up here in the Philadelphia area, almost 100 degrees today. The kitties look very comfy. I am jealous of your crinums, I tried to grow them but they rotted. I am curious where those azaleas came from, ours were finished blooming in May. Your veggie garden looks great, mine is doing well, we are planning to go out and water very early tomorrow as the heat wave is supposed to continue, over 100 on Tuesday.

Carol

o

Happy July 4!

Did you grow your coneflowers from seeds? I love the tall yellow. I am also jealous of your crinums!

Wonderful looking veggie garden. There were 11 deer out front earlier this evening. When I see the herd, I back off of thinking that I'll ever try to grow a veggie garden.

Cameron

o

We had company over the Fourth so I am just now getting to visit Gardenweb.

The flowers and the veggie gardens look great. I love the two purple houses! I admire your daring.

o

Thank-you all. The pink/plumb house was chosen by a 6 year old girl, not us so I'm not THAT daring (actually, I probably would have painted it in reverse of ours...green with purple trim :) But they had it painted when we did. Their current house is electric peach with red trim! Do not be our neighbor, it rubs off :)
Cameron, I did grow the yellow greyhead coneflowers from seed. It's easy with winter sowing however if you don't get quite enough cold, a few weeks in the freezer helps. I will have seed if you'd like some!

o

I have one plant and was hoping that I could gather seeds to grow more. Ratbidia pinnata, not echinacea paradoxa, right?-- My ratbidia is with my bronze fennel and lantana 'Miss Huff'. I need to move it to more sunshine as the 5 ft fennel is blocking the light!

Thanks for the offer, though.

o

No, this one is not a ratibida but a rudbeckia I think. It's different from all others I have and as a leaf like a smaller cutleaf coneflower and a darker cone (not a green cone) - it does not spread like cutleaf coneflower.

o

Oh I just love your cats! They look so happy! We have two cats, too, and they are just the pride and joy of my life! We also have three dogs but my partner prefers them over the kitties. I'm sure they love your gardens!!!!!!

o

Everything looks just beautiful. I love the cats. they look very comfortable. I can just imagine how tickled you are to see the tiger lilies bloom. I love tiger lilies.

Your criniums are the prettiest color to me. Love them!

And you have a beautiful vegetable garden. Everything looks really great.
kay

o

This is a photo (last year) of the plant in my garden. I bought it on sale and have no label:

o

Can you take a photo of the leaf, Cameron?

Our cats are our "babies" since we have no children. They are spoiled rotten. Chester (not photographed) gets held like a baby and he loves it. Right now he's getting paper from the printer. He loves to retrieve paper and bring it to you. We have 6 cats, none go into the garden anymore. It was Boo Boo Kitty's joy in life but robbed from her when she got lymphoma and had chemo and was told never outside again (immune system always compromised). However, they all supervise from the porch, and love the chipmunks, butterflies, birds and bees. Bippie also lived in the garden before she came inside to be adopted. She would stay out on the porch 24hrs a day if she could.

o

Isn't it just amazing that cats can have the patience and fortitude to sit for literally hours and just stare at all the potential prey out there?

Ours stay inside too for safety reasons but they have their favorite perches in some windows, and a screened in porch to dream in.

I found a cute pic of my maine coon. He's a crazy, weird big thing. His name is "Fatty"-we didn't pick it, the girl I rescued him from named him that, and if you know cats, you know how hard it can be to get them to respond to their names. So we left the name. Next to him is our foxhound Lola. We have another orange kitty that my better half loves to death (but won't admit it).

Sorry girlgroup, didn't mean to steal your posting here with pictures of my cat!!!!!

From cliq pics

o

I always love your purple, you certainly have a way with color. The veggie bed looks fabulous! Nothing like home grown food.

Re tiger lilies - there's a special thrill to grow something from seed and wait years to see it bloom. You feel like a proud parent!

o

• Posted by lisa33 Zone 6b Bucks Cnty, (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 20:38

Awww, the cats are adorable. They do look very comfy and happy.

Perhaps the azaleas are 'Encore'. I have a couple, but haven't noticed any rebloom yet. I just planted them late in the season last year.

Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

o

Mmmmm- veggies. What a feast you will have this year.
I love the raised beds.
Renee

o

I really like your raised beds! Can you tell me what type of boards you used and if you like having bark on the paths? I currently have dirt and I don't enjoy weeding the PATHS, just the garden thanks! I am trying to decide between gravel and bark to keep down the weeds. I love your gardens, thanks for sharing!

o

GGG -- I finally got out with my camera today with the overcast skies instead of high heat! Here's the foliage on the plant:

o

Aww. What do you feed your wonderful kitties.

o

Gingerflower, we use non-pressure treated yellow (not white, yellow are denser) pine boards that are 10x2x whatever length you can get. Building stores have them as well as the treated version.
I would swap out the wood mulch for something better if I could, but I can't think of anything right now. I would prefer to have something I can walk in bare foot in the summer. The mulch hurts! However I put it down because I smothered grass and monkey grass (liriope) quickly two years ago to expand the garden. Bricks would be beautiful but so hot in the sun. Pinestraw also hirts (an available mulch here). Tonight I saw a board walkway on a TV gardening makeover show. It was beautiful, and would look great but expensive and hard to replace when needed.

Cameron, your leaves are different than mine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here