Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

They are here! Southwestern Wisconsin

mary_lu_gw
12 years ago

Just wrote a long post and went to preview and it disappeared. Short version...

Last year I noticed a few JBs in the yard, but only a couple.

Yesterday I noticed some on a rose. This morning I noticed quite a few on the raspberries. Now tonight when I went out to set up the water for the garden room I noticed LOTS of them on the roses! Grrrrrr

From what I have been reading on the Internet, sounds like there is not a lot that you can do to get rid of them.

I have seen pictures posted on the rose forum of the damage they can do. Does anyone else battle this insect? How successful are you?

Comments (11)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

I use an inch of plain old dawn and the rest water in a spray bottle and spray them. They really make my stomach turn! And every spring I mean to treat the lawn for grubs but I never get around to it. I guess the best thing to do is look forward to the fall flush of blooms!

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

What are JBs?

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't explain better. JB stands for Japanese beetle. See link below that explains their damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Beetle

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Only very limited numbers showing up here since the second week of this month - so far. I've also been drowning them in Dawn dish washing liquid. Thank goodness my roses have all bloomed and finished weeks ago, the JBs seem to go after blooms mostly. Then they usually move on to the Porcelain Vine and Virginia Creeper. It would be great if they ate the Va.Creeper to pieces in other parts of the garden and yard where the vine isn't wanted, but they munch away at it on the side of the garage where I DO want it to grow.

Here in my area it seems the are worse every other year. For instance, one year light infestations, the next swarms of them. I try to kill them before they go underground to lay eggs.

Good luck everyone.

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

Here in my Niagara Falls, NY garden, so far they are manageable. I cut a large opening in a plastic gal. milk jug and fill 1/2 way with soapy water. Morning and evening I make the rounds to knock the critters into the jug to drown. I resist removing The damaged blooms because they seem to fill up with newcomers that are easier to find on those poor blooms and this saves others.I have only shrub, climbers and old garden roses in with many perennials.
    My brother in-law has a huge collection of Hybrid Teas that are descended upon like a plague. He has woods just beyond his garden. He doesn't treat for the grubs because he says no one else in his neighborhood does so it would be futile. Anyone else have experience that would refute that assumption ?

• irene_dsc
    12 years ago

I just noticed a few the past few days. I have an old Gladware container that is about 4" square and about 2" deep, that I fill with soapy water (or just plain water sometimes). I like it because it has a wide opening, so it is easier to knock them into it, and I don't need a lot of water in order to drown the JB's.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

ML, are you saying you've never had JBs until this year? Interesting.

I have done the same thing as everyone above. Pick them off or shake them into soapy water which will kill them. I used to have japanese beetles but now I notice I have a beetle that is the exact same size and shape but a dullish brown color. I'm not sure what it is and I haven't searched very far to find out. I figure it acts just like a JB so I'll treat it the same way. You may want to start the soap process now because they may go after the daylilies as well.

We had a terrible grub infestation last year. We read that during drought if you have a pretty well-kept yard they WILL search it out and lay their eggs there. Well, they found our grass. We have a well so never have any watering issues and DH likes to keep a nice lawn (at least he uses all organics). We lost huge portions of it. Even though we killed off tons of grubs we have a whole mess of beetles this year. I abhor them. Go get 'em!!

I just looked on Wikipedia and saw their territory and now I see that they are just heading your direction. ARGH!

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

I had excellent results using BT powder on the lawn, several years in a row. The spores keep muliplying and keep the grubs manageable. Whatever you do DO NOT use one of those awful phernome JB traps, it just attracts them in droves.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your empathy! Yes, they are just arriving here. Last year I saw maybe 10? The roses are starting to rebloom and some of them are getting hit hard. They really seem to like the raspberries. Grrrr.... So do I!

Didn't have a chance to even go out and look tonight. I had an afternoon eye doctor appointment which resulted in scheduling cataract surgery for early August. Then spent some time shopping, as I didn't want to drive the 60+ miles back home with my eyes dilated. The sun was so bright today. Well, on the way home I had a flat tire and called AAA for roadside assistance. Thank heavens DH insists on AAA! End result is I left at 11:45 AM this morning and got home at 11 PM tonight. So not the best of days.

Didn't get any watering done tonight and it was in the upper 90's today with indexs(sp?) of 110+. Supposed to last all week!

Maybe tomorrow will be better???? Maybe I won't see a single JB when I go out in the garden after work tomorrow?

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

My grass looks better than it has in years. Grubs always ate great patches, the dried areas would just peel right up. Not sure what is going on, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Perhaps all the diligent JB patrols and killing over the past sevreal years has helped afterall.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

We have not had Japanese Beetles in our area though last year I heard they are moving into this area.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting