Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merilia

Planting Lupines now for blooms next year?

Merilia
12 years ago

I've still got some lupines blooming in the garden now (although they're pretty much covered in whiteflies, eww!), but I've also got plenty of seeds that are nice and dark and dried in their pods. Is it possible for me to plant them now, assuming I chill and nick them first? My goal is to get plants that will bloom next year, but I'm wondering if trying to force them to sprout now will just get them killed in the winter, or if the weather will simply be too hot for the seedlings. Summers here are quite mild, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Comment (1)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Not sure my my answer will be exactly helpful but...

When I want more lupine in the garden I simply press the seed into the ground as soon as they are dry in the pod, like yours. They usually bloom second or third year (mostly second though). I don't think you could get blooms next year (even chilling/planting now) unless you had a greenhouse to speed up the process. You might (might I have never tried it before, so can't say with any certainty) be able to get blooms next year by propagating your lupine via basal cuttings. That or buy blooming plants next year, lol ;-)

Here is a link: how to do basal cuttings of lupine
    CMK

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio