Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

o
Does your home have a name?

Posted by pfmastin 7b N. Carolina (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 29, 06 at 20:45

I'm thinking of giving my home and garden a name and began to wonder if anyone else has done it? I don't want to sound pretentious or high hat...just sort of like the idea of giving it identity and character. Have any of you named your cottage garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does your home have a name?

That's an interesting question. In England, it is a common practice for cottages to have names. In this country, it is common for grand places--estates--or summer vacation places in seaside or lake communities. I think it is very rare otherwise.

There is just one I can think of in our town--The Rose Cottage. It is a small, very old house, once covered with roses and still bursting with flowers--you all would love it. When Lafayette came to the US around 1825, he stood on the steps of The Rose Cottage to speak to the citizens of the town.

I say, if it makes you happy, go for it.

o

oh yes, go for it! I have seen articles around where folks give names to their home/garden/property- it's charming! There is a lady who posts pics here sometime, who has Plum Cottage- In my estimation, most times the name is only known by friends/family/coworkers (whoever you want to tell) so it's not pretentious-

here in the South, I notice all bed & breakfasts and lots of private homes have names and of course, in the Bluegrass (read racehorse country) all farms (big and small) are named...

now, with that said- my garden is decorated with rabbits (concrete, trellis, stones, etc.) I love pink and I love the old roses:
the name I have for my home (in my mind)
THE ROSE RABBIT

*I might even make a sign*

have fun,
the hardest part is trying to decide on a name :))

Linda in Louisville

o

For years we didn't have numbers on our homes (all changed 2 years ago when we started dispatching 911 from a neighboring town) so many people named their homes. (The only one who could find anyone was Bob, our UPS guy. The Police would stop him and ask if they needed to find someone!) Anyway, my DH went with Chapel View (in winter, from the roof, you can see a tiny tip of the steeple!) because that was the name of his grandfather's home in Sligo, Ireland!! He even had a piece of the gate and a rock from the property sent over!!!

o

Well I've thought of Echoes Echos but I have a sign that came from England on my front entry gate that says Echo Lane.... So it will be something like that but not sure which.

o

I call mine "Critter Cottage". Every home should have a name :-)

Edna

o

• Posted by susy Zone 5/6 MO. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 12:50

Our house is on top of a hill and when we moved here the people that had built the house had a marble sign imbeded in the fireplace outside that says "Windy Heights" which is very appropriate as it is very windy. I have since added "Windy Heights Daylily Garden" in my Yahoo signature to add my personal touch to my daylily garden.

o

Our home and gardens are know as "Heartland Gardens". My husband and I were married there last summer and we have called it that ever since. Heartland is also the name of our blog site.....

Lynne

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartland ramblings

o

Happy Birthday Lynn! I love your gardens.

We've thought about naming our house too. We've thought of going with the Spanish phrase: "La Casa de (our last name would go here)", or French "Chez (last name here)". I think naming a house is very personal and not pretentious at all either. If people thought we were, they would just have to look at the house to know that we couldn't possibly be :)

o

When my kids were growing up, my house was dubbed "Ma Stratton's Home for Wayward Animals" by my eldest child, and the name stuck. There was a placard-- handdrawn and painted by gifted child hands-- by the front door.

The name followed me when I later moved, first to Puget Sound, later to Colorado. My grown children even addressed mail to "Ma Stratton's Home for Wayward Animals".

When I moved to Vermont, I thought I'd left it behind, but those of you who know my history with animals might suspect otherwise. Yes, "Ma Stratton's Home for Wayward Animals" is about to be painted in discreet cursive along the trim around my front door.

I intended to name my home "Penny Cottage", and I will still probably hang a little sign from the future front arbor with that name.

However... this is New England, and no matter what I name my house, I know people will forever follow New England tradition. The house will always be known by the name of the last before current occupants. It is now the "Garvey House". When I leave and someone else moves in, it will be known as the "Stratton House".

Oh, well.

Dayle Ann

PS: About to post new photos of my latest foster animals, Barn Kitty with babies, in Conversations.

o

Our home is knicknamed "Ward 81" by a friend of ours.
Ward 81 is of course most of then the number assigned to the hospital ward for people with psychological issues. :)
It's also a song by a band called the Fuzztones (of course, about a mental ward).
Our garden is the "Electric Garden" also the title of a song by a band called The Nerve.

GGG

o

My current home does not have a name but I fully intend to name my home when we finally buy one. However I recently named my dear sister-in loves home and she was so excited by the name that it will probably stick.

The name of her home is the Teacup Cottage! It fits her so well and I want to make her a lovely large sign with the name for a present. She has so many ideas and a clear direction for her home on the outside now that she has a name. She was so happy and we are also trying to think whether or not we should have a little naming ceremony of some kind.

o

Dayle Ann, thanks for your post ... it's good to know I'm following some sort of tradition rather than just being forgetful ... I'm always referring to neighboring houses by the names of their previous owners, LOL.

Pfmastin, I like the idea of naming one's home/gardens/property; a few families in this suburban neighborhood have done it and it doesn't seem pretentious at all. Come to think of it, my good-natured aunt and organic gardener uncle called their five-acre property "The Happy Farm", and took that name with them when they moved to a similar sized property in Maryland.

So ... now all these posts have got me thinking, as ours is not named ... yet. But as someone said, thinking of the name's the fun part.

Diane

o

In Vietnam, perhaps following French's traditions, people give names to their homes, especially if the homes are detached. They can either be name of flowers, like Fuchsia Villa, Tulip Villa, in Vietnamese of course, or name of young members of the family, like Phuong Nam Villa, Song Truc Villa, or name of the local place where the home is, like Saigon House, Dalat Villa, etc.
Our main home in Saigon is named Dang Gia Trang (meaning "the living place of the Dang family)and our second home is named Tuy Son Vien (meaning "The garden in Tuy Son", the local hamlet where our home situates).
Of course, these names are only for our family's and close friends' reference. (For example, when our daughter and son-in-law in the States send a post-card or something to our whole family, they give the name our home as the receiver's address and anyone in the family can open the mail, and we refer to the names when telling our friends where we are during a particular weekend.) It's quite fun and convenience, I think.

o

A couple years ago we were watching a show about english homes/estates and they all had names for their homes. Nan then said jokingly that we should name our home "Whitebox", for obvious reasons if you were to come for a visit. A couple years later, and we still refer to it in this manor, but always with a smirk.
I have yet to name my garden, but I imagine it would be related to my love of the mystical. Dragons Den or something like that.

o

My husband made a sign for our front door that says "Pennywort Cottage". If I ever manage to fulfill my dream of owning a B&B, that is what I am going to call it.

fiwa :)

o

Xuan - happy to see you back. I've often wondered how you've been doing. Hope all is well and your dogs are well.

Edna

o

sganger..that is a sweet story...wouldn't a tea party ceremony for those close to her be fun? You sound like a very caring sister.

I enjoyed this post..makes me think about the subject on my own level. Great post!

o

I want to name my house- it isn't exactly a cottage now. The original house was very cottage esque, but over the past 30 years, it has been added on to several times and is quite long and large now (mostly due to a mother-in-law suite that was built on in the 90's.) I was thinking the "Country Cottage" or Wildflower Cottage- but none quite fit because it really isn't a cottage anymore. Some friends of my hsuband's family call it the "estate" Maybe "Country Estate" or "Wildflower Estate" We are preparing to dig a 1/2 acre pond this fall so maybe we can figure something out relating to that. It is definately something to ponder on.

Thank you for starting this thread!

bluejean in ohio

o

I wanted to name our house when we built it. But could never think of one that seemed to fit. A friend suggested Poverty Gulch. LOL
Actual it is a planter's cottage style. I designed it after one I saw in Louisiana.

o

Fun thread!!!
My cousin lives in England, in the house Tolkien lived in as a young boy. Her house has no number, it's simply Fern Cottage.
Unfortunately, mine would have to be called Cookiecutter Cottage as all the houses look pretty much the same in my neck of the woods!
Karen

o

My house doesn't really have a name, but I optimistically describe it as "my starter house". My car has a name, though! Yes, it's strange, but so are my friends. :-)

o

karenj, I found this image of Fern Cottage...how beautiful! Now, *that's* a cottage! < s >

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

All your names sound so nice! I wonder where the tradition of naming one's home came from?

My dh refers to our place as "80 Mile Beach" - it's 80 miles from the ocean but it's all pure white sand. (Don't you know THAT makes gardening a challenge.)

o

lindkimy,
From what I understand, houses still have names in rural England as a way to actually identify the location for mail, emergencies, etc. I've seen forms online (for Sussex)to be filled out for a change of name. One of my favorite names is in the book series by James Herriot...amusing stories of his veterinary practice...Skeldale House.

o

There's one near my house called Morning Glory Farm, and I know some people that used their farm name as part of their address until about 25 years ago, even though the farm wasn't a working farm anymore. Not sure why they don't use it anymore; maybe the PO didn't like it. Personally, I like the idea, and would use it if I could come up with something catchy.

o

I would like to name our home something garden related...but it has been known as the "German School" since the late 1800's as that is what it was. It was built in 1868 by the German community to school their children. There is a cement plaque embedded in the brick in the eve of our home, above the front porch, that declares it to be the "German School - A.D. 1868"

o

It's going to have a name in just a couple of years. It's going to be called "Paid Off", and I can't wait! LOL

Until that time, I have named my home/garden "Peaceful Oasis" because it is a place of refuge and safety, which is kind of ironic because I live in a densely populated sub-division amongst 6 million people in the DFW area.

But, I believe home is where the heart is and you can create a special world for yourself and family under any conditions.

I love this thread, too. :-)

Marilyn

o

The neighbors and everyone call our house The SUNFLOWER
HOUSE because we have always had sunflowers in front yard. I like it. I also named my toaster, computer and car...makes me laugh:.)

Gigi

o

i dubbed my little farmhouse and 3 acres Midnight Farm after my husband left me and our 3 kids in the 80's (rotten b*^*^ard, but that's a different story!)i named it Midnight Farm because Mr X told my mom that he was not happy that i was always out in the garden at midnight, and "that's not where a good wife should be at that hour." (With a lantern...can't get much done with 3 kids under 5 during the day!)My dear mom told him "if there was a reason for her to come in, i'll bet she would have." GO MOM!! hahaha

o

Great thread!! I have also thought about doing this, but my neighbours already thiink I'm way too eccentric!!

o

Our family name is Clark and when we moved to the country a corny friend nicknamed our 6 acres The Clarkarosa. Unfortunately it stuck!

georgeanne

o

Fun thread! We have delightful fireflies during summer evenings that DH and I like to watch and I have always wanted to name our place "Firefly Cottage" or something to that affect.

We're putting a white picket fence around the front yard this month and I'm hoping to have a sign made to put near the front gate/arbor. Take a look at SpringValleySigns.com. Kinda pricey, but absolutely lovely!!!

We live on Hillside Terrace, so Hillside Cottage Gardens (or "Hillside Cottage & Gardens") could be nice, too. Any votes or other ideas? :) Suprisingly, DH actually thought naming the place would be nice!

Again, wonderful thread. I love this board and all you "cottagers" are so kind ... with lovely gardens! :)

Laura

o

I vote for Firefly Cottage. What lovely images of summer evenings, romance, childhood fun. Now I'd better think of one for myself. You all are inspiring me.

o

"The Clarkarosa"! That is too funny - I laughed out loud! I also liked "Paid For". :-)

o

Mollyjanea, that's a great story! I can relate. Many years ago, when my kids were little, the best time for me to do my weeding was in the middle of the night. My next-door neighbor did too, and so there we'd be, in our nighties, weeding (and picking slugs), enjoying the cool night air. We were the scandal of the neighborhood, but at least we didn't have a "Mr. X" spouting off judgements he had no business making. Good grief.

And yay for your mom. And you, for that matter.

Dayle Ann

o

Mollyjanea,
I agree with your Mom. I have killed slugs at midnight, too.
Here, we never had slugs until this year. I suspect eggs came in on a new plant or two.

I vote Firefly Cottage.

o

After following the Hobbitt thread regarding barefoot in the garden, etc., I think I will go with Barefoot Cottage or Barefoot Manor or Barefoot Gardens.

DH thinks we need to dwell on this a little more and find something more dignified. LOL

He NEVER went barefoot as a child nor during the 41 years of our marriage UNTIL recently. He went from our front gardens to the back garden in his sock feet (he doesn't do naked feet LOL). When I told our son, he was just as shocked as I was.

DH said he would never have attempted that when his parents were alive and living in the house; his dad did not attempt to control the weeds so stickers were the norm as well as rocks, glass and whatever! I carry Dollar Store kitchen scissors with me and every weed I see is a goner plus I tote a 5 gallon bucket to deposit weeds and glass, etc.

o

We just downsized to a little 70's ranch style house.
I spent 2 years making it anything but!
It now looks like a little cottage..........
My daughter tell's her friends when she gives directions
it's " the flower cottage" you will know it!
I love that! We always call our place "Moondom"
Our last name is Moon....so it should be Moondom cottage!
Here's my attempt at an old 70's House!
Haziemoon

o

I suppose our house's name is the same as my house and garden blog: Cincinnati Cape Cod

But that name doesn't mean much locally - there must be hundreds of Cape Cod style houses in the city. Maybe we could name it The Cat House after our 6 cats?

o

Our homes name is Evenside Cottage. It has an even house number when it should be an odd house number lol

The little home we own next door (lots are attached) is simply called the cottage. I'm thinking of planting a lot of daisies in the front and then I think it will be Daisy Cottage instead... probably we'll all still call it the cottage though.

o

Haziemoon, I love your house. You really have given it that cottage look--so nice.

o

This is a great thread y'all. I absolutely believe every homee and every garden should have a name.

We have a tiny 2 bedroom ranch that we bought as a foreclosed Hud home. Over the last 10 years, most of our money has gone into adding frills like a roof that don't leak and a/c that works. So our decorating style and the garden is something we call "scrumledge", aka gussied up junk that other people tossed.

Somewhere along the way, I started calling our little place Lemonade Cottage, cuz when life hands you lemons,....

Lately, the joke has been calling the garden Jardin de Rouille (which means Garden of Rust). Rouille is also a spicy sauce, and with all the peppers we grow, that's not way off either!

o

We rent a cabin at the beach that has a cute name - Iona Place.... as in I own a place at the beach. Cute. DH likes to call our place the Garden of Weedin', but it has no official name.

o

This really is a fun thread. I've always ended up with names for my houses (I'm on #4 which I hope is a loooooong term one). My last house in Scottsdale, AZ was "Citrus Grove" and the one before that here in Seattle was "Yellow Hill" because of all the yellow flowers I planted (and a yellow house too--go figure).

I haven't figured out a name for this latest house, but I've only been in it for two weeks. It will come, I'm sure. Right now I just call it "the cottage" but when a name comes, I'll be sure to use it. :)

Keep the posts coming. I'm glad others name their houses too.

Take care,
Grant

o

What a great post! We named our log cabin "Permanent Vacation". We have a cute sign my mom got done for us hanging near our door. When we moved here we kept saying we were on permanent vacation or retired, even though we are still working, it's just a laid back kinda place and we love it.

We haven't named our gardens, but we have chickens and I sell eggs from "The Egg Place" : )

o

What a delightful thread! We didn't name our cottage until a couple of years ago after the paint for our house was made up. The gentleman who mixed up our paint according to what we wanted named the paint part of our last name and the word plum. That's when we became Plum Cottage. For some reason it makes me feel happy, giving home a name, whether large or small and like Marilyn said, "I believe home is where the heart is and you can create a special world for yourself and family under any conditions."

There are some wonderful names here and I've enjoyed reading about each one.

FlowerLady

o

My Dad always called the farm "Belly Acres".... I thought that was pretty clever of him - two meanings out of one phrase. He'd even answer the phone Belly Acres....

o

I have enjoyed all the posts so much!

I'm the OP and I don't think I ever said the name of my house/garden. It's Evenshade. :)

Pam

o

echo's ..........love the Belly Acres!
that is too funny!
That's something my dad would come up with!

Haziemoon

o

I need to have a sign made up for our house's name. It is just simply.......... Crazy. Yep the name of our house is Crazy... I want to make a sign that says " Welcome to Crazy you are already here:)" With a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old , 4 cats and a dog things are always crazy around here. I love to garden and do canning and preserving so this time of year the outside looks great and my canning closet is awesome, but the rest of the house looks like a tornado hit it. So if you ever come to visit, just ask how to get to Crazy, cuz that is where I live.

Stacie
who needs to clean house

o

Our house has been called the Bobo House for as long as we have been living here. We didn't know why everyone in town called it that, but whenever I'd say, we live at the end of West Woody Creek Court, I'd get this quizical look, and, "yall mean the red brick hay-ouse?", I'd nod and they'd say "Oooooh, ewe mean the Bobo Hay-ouse. Oooooh so yall live they-re na-ow." We finally found out that a local guy who is fairly well known in the neighborhood built the house and his name is Bobo.

I'd like to give our house a name, and frankly just about anything would be an improvement, downt'cha thank? Cheryl

o

In my head, I've always called our house the 'maison de cheval blanc.' House of the White Horse, in my very limited French. My pretty white mare lived here for several years, but now that she grazes heavenly pastures, I feel odd calling the place after her. :( We turned her pen into a lovely white garden that we call Amy's Garden after her. Sigh...

Since we have ivy growing up the north side of our house and since we are the ONLY folks in our neighborhood to do so, Ivy Cottage might work. Hmmmmm....don't know.
I love sunflowers and the front door is deep yellow, so maybe the Sunflower House.

There is a B&B we enjoy in Oklahoma where each lovely room is named. The cottages are also named. Each is decorated in the theme of the name. If that were the case, then Clutter Cottage would work for us. LOL

In rereading Pride and Prejudice and after watching both it and Emma on DVD, I'm charmed by the names of the homes. 'Longborne.' 'Pemberly.' 'Rosings.'

Maybe simple is best. What about Maison du Jardin. Garden House. (I think.) It fits.

Lovely thread. Thanks to all for participating.

Happy

o

Here in Wales house names are not at all uncommon, but I think it makes finding them awfully hard! I remember once driving round and round for ages trying to find Jocelyn... where on earth was it, surrounded by Shady this and Sweet that, something Meadow and something else Cottage... we were just laughing and bewildered as we drove through that neighborhood trying to find our new would-be babysitter's house.

I only rent my house, so don't know if I even could name it officially, but I think if I did I'd call it Skye View. No wait, that sounds like a tv station around here... um, maybe Skye Garden... Skye Grounds... something like that.

o

Great thread. I have really enjoyed everyone's stories!

o

I think my house is too common to have a name. My mom's house, however, is very much a Tudor styled cottage. I've heard many people refer to her house as "The Dollhouse".

My house is a typical ranch house - hardly worthy of a name. However, I've always thought that if I had a house with character I'd definitely give it a name.

My father's farm (though he'd call it a ranch - more manly I suppose) is called Weathering Heights. The guest house is called Thrushcross Grange - after Charlotte Bronte's novel. The funny thing is is that I don't think my dad has ever read the story nor knows of the demise of Heathcliff.

o

Happy, why not just name your home "Amy's Garden"? I think that is such a lovely name, and a sweet tribute. Lots of houses here have names like that. And besides... aren't our houses just frames for our gardens? (I know some people feel the opposite, but that's how you separate house people from garden people...)

Dayle Ann

o

LOL, Marilyn! I hear ya - just a few more years to go for us, too. I think I'll laminate and frame the deed. ; )

Hazie, I love your cottage!!!

When my youngest son was in high school, his female friends called our home the Barbie house. I never knew this until several years after he graduated and his best friend's wife came by for a visit. She shared a little tale with me. We were on a mini vacation once and my dear son had a "few" friends over - UH HUM! The "girl" friends convinced my son to give them a tour and they decided it was like Barbie's dream house. They then started calling it that and my son got a bit of teasing about it. Serves him right for partying in my "dream house" while Ken and I were off in the convertible. : )))

The Barbie house.

Back to more serious names - DH and I refer to our home as Sycamore Cottage, due to the 3 sycamore trees we planted. They are our favorite trees and we plan to plant a few more. As you can see, Gracie likes them, too. : )

Diana

o

To the locals, our house is known as The Demmon House. A former mayor of Vallejo built this house in 1938, Mr. George C. Demmon. He went on to become a delegate to the National Republican Convention. He is surely turning in his grave at the thought of his property being occupied by Democrats.

o

I stuck my tongue firmly in my cheek and called my Tudor knock-off "Rose Cottage". It's so trite it's funny. It helps that I've got over 200 roses scattered around. A friend actually had a mail order plaque made up that we attached to the wall next to the door.

o

During a most difficult time in my life, I would look down and find a feather in my path...so I decided they were
"Angel Feathers" letting me know I was not alone. I always stop and pick a feather up if it's in my path..and I have an old blue Mason Jar full of them. My little house (2 bedroom bungalow with cottage gardens I
created) is dubbed "Angel Feathers and Critters Cottage".
Quite a mouthful for a little house....but it fits!
LOVE this thread!

o

What a great thread; I've really been thinking about names for the house/grounds, despite their modest size. Still not settled on anything, but the house was built (quite literally - be built it himself) by a man named Fleder ... and my and my husband's family loved opera, soooo, maybe "die Flederhouse"? But I'm particularly fond of the wrens that nest here, and the house is a little cape, sided with weathered brown natural cedar shakes, so thinking of "Wren's Nest" (they're supposed to be very clever and determined little birds, too).

It's so nice to hear of homes that have been "named" by their history or others' perceptions - very appropriate. I've seen many people stop on walks and look at our property, and sometimes when I describe where I live to someone, they'll say "Ohhh, so *you're* the one who lives in that adorable house!" ... I sure wish I knew what other people call it ... I think, lol.

pfmastin, you really brought up a great topic here ... you sure got everyone thinking and talking! Thank you!

Diane

o

I just got back from Nantucket where there are so many fabulous and expensive places with names. But in town I saw a tiny place proudly calling itself "No Vue". Cute.

o

After the past couple weeks I feel like we should call our home Mantis Manor. I seem to have them all over the garden this year. Bugs just don't get any cooler than the praying Mantis.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Mantis pics in my Critters Album!

o

I put a little (especially compared to today's size new houses)new house on a corner of a 9 acre hill. I really have wanted to name it and love this thread. Some suggested names that resonate with me are the Windy Hill (on a hill in the Central Plains and need but don't have a windbreak) Poverty Gulch and Iona Place (well the bank does:)
I have also thought Crow Hill though technically they roost on a neighbors windbreak. I like birds and have Quail around but developments seem to have snagged all the Fox Run, Quail's Nest type names.
Perhaps what best suits me and this place is
"In Over My Head" Acres, or perhaps "Bit off more than I can Chew" Meadow
as I am having quite the time trying to get in grass and basic shrubs and trees, rock for the driveway etc.
Mary, zone 4b/5a

o

Marys1000,
I think you named it already. It should be Nine Acre Hill.

o

I am the OP and have finished making the sign for my house...here is a photo. It's ready to be hung by the front door. Now, all is well.......I'm home. < s > Thanks so much, everyone, for your responses. It's so fun!

o

Steven, how do you sleep at night, with the ghosts of republicans passed in your home? LOL (Remember: friends don't let friends vote republican) (I'm registered Green)
LOL

My home would be the HellHouse, if you'd ask me on a bad day. On a good day, I call it CaliforniaTropiCottage.

Amanda 'romando'

o

I am stil in a quandry about what to call my home, but I thought I would add some names of homes/properties I know of.

The farm I grew up on was called 'Lakeview Acres' so named by my grandfather when he purchased the property in the early 60's. My parents sold it and bought a farm they call 'Meadowcrest Farms' On that property they have a cabin they call 'The Cabin' and a house they call the 'A-Fram' (because it is one!) My husband and I intend to build a cabin there as well some day. We have a spot with a view picked out (off of a trail called Turkey Run!) My parents have names for each trail and hillside on the 250 acre property. Each of my sibilings and myself all intend to have a 'weekend' home there once we start our families.

Attached is a picture of our home. It is a total work in progress- the piel of dirt is from where hubby had to ditch around house to fix drainage problems. We are going to paint (or side?) the house a buttercream with slate blue shutters. Any thoughts on a name?

Best of luck naming your place,
bluejean in ohio

Here is a link that might be useful: My house

o

I have loved reading all these. Very entertaining as well. My parents live in a little brown house and my father
has been driving my mother crazy. He is all 'hillbilly'!! with a touch of alzheimers to boot.
I thought about calling their house "Almond Joy"
It's brown with a "nut" inside. lol I really do love my dad.

o

txcottagegarden!
Too funny!!! that still has me laughing!

Haziemoon

o

bluejean,
What kind of tree's are in your area, or on your property?
Something to do with them might sound good.

My dad called his place in the mountains "Heavenly Pines"
There was a place on the way there called "Spruce Spread"
I just noticed a lot of tree's around your place.

Haziemoon

o

I live in A subdivision but we all have 2 to 5 acres,so we are not right next to each other.The name is Martins Grove so I am thinking Grove Cottage.I also like Cranberry Cottage and maybe paint the shutters a cranberry color.The house nearest me across the Rd. is on a high hill and I can not see the house.They have a big sign that says Cricket Hill.Once I decide,then I too want a sign at the entrance of my drive.Love this thread and enjoy reading the stories.
moonphase

o

MAPLE HILL COTTAGE: My neighborhood consists of post WWII homes. They were small and built quickly with the idea of providing homes for the returning soldiers and their families.

Our area was specifically called "Maple Hill Subdivision" and each home had one maple tree planted on the city property strip. I still have my original maple tree, most are gone.

Well, eventually all the street names were changed, and no one remembers the original name. So, to keep history alive, I'm happy to call my little home "Maple Hill Cottage".

The only problem that I'm still working on is how to place a sign without people thinking that this is a shoppe. In our area, many of the older homes have been converted into cute little shoppes. I wouldn't like to be surprised by having someone walk in to do some shopping!

o

how funny to find this topic - we have just finished the drawings and found someone local to do the wrought iron gate for our home " Journeys End "

for years it is what we have always said when we reached the drive....

o

Hi all,

Just found this funny site that generates random cottage names:
http://www.cottagesmith.com/Misc/CottageNameGen.php

And here's a few of my personal favorites from real life:
NC, family named Hollar, property full of tree frogs:
"Frog Hollar"
Science fiction book my son was reading - a character in it
lived in: "Cottage Cheese"
John Denver's home: "Star Wood" (love the image - stars at
night, reaching down to the tree tops)

My two cents worth!

Happy dreams of cottages and gardens,

Jenny_Lynn
(Still in the city - but not for long!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Name Generator

o

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, the nameing of one's cottage/garden has always appealled to me, must be the English in me, just haven't done it yet. A dear friend who has since passed away named her place 'Kent Cottage' she had the sign on her front door. It had such a welcoming feeling to it. Whenever I see a home that has a name I always think there's very caring people behind that front door.
O.K. that does it, Im going to have a sign made for my garden gate. Welcome to 'Dancing with Weeds'. It's the most appropriate name I can think of.

A......

o

I have not named my house, but I did name my garden, and yes, I posted a sign. It is called Hundred Roses.

Rosefolly

o

I think mine should be Deer Salad Bar.

o

My favs of the above are '80 Mile Beach' and 'Jardin de Rouille' -- love the puns.

Foxes Earth is my fanciful name for the entire property; the house and garden are just 'house' and 'yard.' My late FIL was a fox hunter. DH saw two foxes last week. One was in a fallen tree above what I believe to be an 'earth' (foxhole) and ran as he approached.

'Foxes Earth' was the name of a book by Anne Rivers Siddons, about a fictitious family named Fox.

The original Foxes Earth was the home of an Englishman named Fox who believed he would be reincarnated as a Fox and build an elaborate folly to which he expected to return.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxes Earth

o

I wish mine had a name. It's a 1970's ranch style that I'm trying hard to improve bit-by-bit. I guess you could call it "Work in Progress House".

Someday I'd like to replace my miserable excuse for a shed and replace it with a garden "house" I can store all my garden tools. Since my hubby and I are both Tolkien fans (loved the previous post and pic of Tolkien's boyhood home!) I'd probably call the garden/house something in High Elven. The hobbits are cute, but if I had my druthers, I'd be an Elf.

My father's ranch in California is called Weathering Heights, a take on Charlotte Bronte's novel. There is even a small rock cottage called Thrushcross Grange where visitors can stay.

My mom's house has been lovingly dubbed, "The Dollhouse" by our neighbors because it looks like a little dollhouse cottage amongst more modern 1980's style houses. By far, it is my most favorite place to stay when I'm visiting my family back home.

Heather

o

I named our house "Mockingbird Cottage" after the two mockingbirds that nested in our arbor and dive-bombed us everytime we left the house (O.K. also because I like The Munsters).

o

Hi, I have always wanted to name our house and garden however I could never think of an appropriate name. After reading the posts, which I enjoyed thoroughly, I've come up with "Frogs Haven". There are always loads of toads and frogs in my garden and pond each year and this would describe it the best. Wayne

o

I have been thinking about names too! I usually call our house Mount M...(our last name), cus we are the only hill (ok, not really a hill, but as close as one can find around here...I would estimate the grade/slope at about 3 feet) on the street, but since our last name is always mispronounced and misspelled, and for privacy issues, I want to leave our name out of it. I thought about Rosemount, cus those are the flowers I have most of... then I found out the neighborhood calls our house "The house with no grass", cus I replaced the lawn with garden and ornamental grass. Now I am thinking about Grassless Grange, but that seems too grand for our small brick cottage... any ideas ya'll??

o

When I mention to my neighbors the house number I live in, they say: Oh, that's the one with lots of flowers!

My husband calls it "A House of Happiness".

I have names for different areas in my garden: Angel Lane, Eggplant Flower Bed, Meditation Retreat, Peaceful Path, Enchanted Forrest, Secret Home of Fairies, etc.

~Natalie

o

This thread reminds me of the way my father would sometimes answer the phone when we were kids:
"Macke Summerhome - some are home, some are not"

We also have a home nearby christened "Dunmovin". It always makes me smile.

o

Like Natalie, I have named areas in my garden (though there are no signs). I have a large garden, and I need to know what area I am talking about. The front of the house is, logically, the Front Garden. Yes, I do think of it with capital letters like a proper name. The garden beside the cottage used to be the Cottage Garden, but it is evolving into the Hobbit Garden. I find myself using both names these days. Nearby under the redwood trees is the Shade Garden. These names are descriptive but they are titles, not just descrition. Two raised beds border the steps to the back patio. I call one the Herb Garden (though I tuck herbs in many places). The other doesn't have a name yet, but I am leaning toward calling it the Book Garden, because it has a bench shaped like a stack of books. Then we come to the Patio Garden, the the Fence Garden, then the Porch Garden, and finally circling back around the house, a garden I sometimes call the Terraced Garden and sometimes, the Purple Garden.

But they are all part of Hundred Roses.

Rosefolly

o

My sweetie had me LOL yesterday... I told him I was going to rename our house, cus Mount M(insert last name here) just doesn't float my boat and nobody ever gets it right... so I was leaning towards Rose Hill. He THOUGHT I said ROSE H*ELL, which struck as both as hilarious and we were ROTFLOL!! Rose H*ell it is!!

I think I will make a sign...

o

As I read through this thread, I sat and pondered the thought of naming my garden, not necessarily my house. At first I thought, no, that would be silly, (for where I live). However the more I think about this....We had to put up a fence around my yard, I wasn't real pleased but it had to be done, because of the neighbours. So my open park like setting was basically destroyed.....

The other day as I was walking through the gate...I thought this feels like a closed in bin...... So I stopped and looked around....and thought well...kind of like a flower bin, in summer, anyway.

I think I will paint a plaque for on my fence. "The Flower Bin".

Thanks for the idea and brightening up my flower bin....the thought makes me smile now!

Sierra

o

we're trying to think of a name for our home. We've spent 7 years painting, adding window boxes & beds, redecorating top to bottom to transform a classic 70's split level into something that is getting closer to a country cottage with a few English/french touches. Along the way we've had three children and adopted two miniature goats and a dozen hens who live in a tiny little "barn" aka lowes shed painted red, windows added and corrugated tin roof. We also have a box turtle, bunnies and 3 cats. We just have an acre and everyone is always amazed at the mini farm we have in the side yard. My hub is against anything pretentious or too cute (!) Any suggestions?

also - my fav name for our someday home, "LAST NICKEL FARM"

o

My middle name is Louise. Our lower front yard stands in water like a lake for days after a heavy rain...sometimes weeks. Thus my husband dubbed our house and gardens "Lake Louise". Bet there would be some head scratchin' going on during a drought though if we put up a sign in the driveway saying "Lake Louise". Ha. Sometimes when it rains in the fall, wild ducks will land on it and swim around. Never see them in the spring though.

Nanahanna

o

I love this site. The children and I have been wanting to name our home, so I was looking around and found this page. We have decided to name our home "Tumbleweed Cottage". Oh ya, I live in Arizona. LOTS of Tumbleweeds. I am growing flowers and such, but we always seem to have weeds poppin up everywhere. even in the flower pots. MarlaRuth

o

A beautiful elderly woman I knew had a wonderful handpainted sign in her garden that said "Eromitrom." She said it was her garden's name...named by her children years ago. I had to laugh when I realized it was their last name spelled backwards...definitely kid named! Very sweet.

o

We've never named our cottage (built in 2005), but all of our friends and family call it "Arbor Lea" which is the name of the subdivision. We've even started telling them to "come on out to Arbor Lea." I'm sure our neighbors would protest if our cottage took on the neighborhood name! We have our NWF Backyard Habitat sign on our mailbox, so some people think that's the name! :-)

o

I call our place the "(Last Name)" Hotel, because, for a while, we had non-stop house guests. My industry had a major down-sizing around 2000-2001, and a lot of our friends packed up and moved back east. Some of them spent their last few nights in California with us.

Also DH's grandfather owned an inn during the Depression, and we have a little picture postcard of it framed in our diningroom. It seems appropriate to name our place the "(Last Name)" Inn, too.

o

• Posted by maryc SoCA/USDA10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 21:51

I've always dreamed of living someplace 'nameable' but I'm in a mobile home park and somehow it doesn't seem befitting.

Though....I must confess, every year when the nasturtiums overtake the strip along my shed and public walkway I'm very tempted to write 'Mon Petite Giverney' across the shed.

MaryC

o

Oh. I think you should do that! Just because your home started its life in a factory instead of in a pile of planks onsite doesn't make it any less your castle.

o

I second that, 'Mon Petite Giverney' I've seen pictures of nasturtiums spilling out on the ground in Monet's Grande Allee. Love the name.

A......

o

Being in town, my property doesn't seem like one where I'd want to put a name out on a sign, but I've always thought the house should be called Elizabeth...old fashioned, because it's an old house. Or maybe Lizbeth would be better since it's been renovated.

o

I've been calling mine the Tin Box. I moved to a little town not far from the beach, for the cooler weather, fewer blasting boom boxes, and about a million photo ops. The tradeoff was that it was more expensive to live over here, so I settled for this place. At least I thought I was just settling-- this thing certainly doesn't qualify as "manufactured housing," or even as one of today's spiffy mobile homes. Nope.

This thing really is just a tin box with cabinets made from pressed wood, sixties colors, a stove that not only leans left, but part of it leans right, too. Heh.... it's pretty bad on the surface, but as it turned out, I couldn't be happier for now. It's doing what I need it to do. It's mostly watertight and the potty works, as does the electrical stuff. And the landlord pretty much doesn't care what I do to the yard.

Fun thread!

Nancy

o

Treelover, I love the name Elizabeth for your house! Then, when she acts up, you can scold her. "Elizabeth, how many times have I told you not to blow a fuse..."

Nancy, sounds like you have that "Topanga Canyon" lifestyle. Whenever DH and I go on a ramble to the coast, I like to imagine I'm living there, being a painter or some such thing. More power to you.

o

Today: Massive Disaster

o

Boondoggle, I'm not exactly sure about the Topanga Canyon lifestyle you're talking about, but I think I know what you mean. An art colony sort of thing? That's not really the case where I am living, but it sure sounds like it would be fun to be surrounded by the hippy-dippy art crowd. Yup yup, I could see myself doing just that.

o

Madhabitz, yes, a combination of artists, crystals, ponytailed grey-haired old guys in VW microbuses.....you get the idea. It all looks like so much more fun than being a staid housewife.

Romando, Massive Disaster?

o

Ohhh, I have enjoyed this thread!!! Thanks,y'all. I bought a 2-story, yellow frame house, 2 large maples in front, 1 in back by large shed where previous owner/ builder kept a pony for his daughter when she was small. There's almost an acre almost all flat land, and since I sold old house year after dh passed 2 years ago, I've really enjoyed diggin' and a-plantin', startin' new plots and paths, with arbors, round patio with short circular path, archwayw/swing further out under maple tree, etc. Had quite a few rose and lavender paths, arbor w/rose and morning glories, and kidney shaped gardens in old house in the suburbs, but youngest son moved with me and we live by the Kiski (short for Kiskiminetas) River in western PA, farm and wooded hills behind, plenty of geese, deer, few groundhogs and rabbits, hawks, wild turkeys, other birds, and all those wild things. Of course, our sibling cats love it here, too. Have thought of putting a plaque out front that says "Heaven on Earth". What do y'all think? Too corney?

o

Hello all!

What an appropriate thread for my first post as a newbie to gardenweb. My fiance and I recently purchased the home I've been renting for about 4 years. The summer my daughter and I first moved in here our back wall was COVERED in ladybugs. We'd open the back door and ladybugs would fly into the house and get everywhere. There are still ladybugs in the drop ceiling panels in the kitchen. So of course we named our new home "Ladybug House".

My fiance wants to rename it "The Killing Fields" for all of the mouse and rat presents our cats leave in the gardens for us. He's even taken it a step further with his desire to label sections of the gardens on the same theme... "The Grapes of Wrath" for our overgrown grapevine, "Day of the Locust" for the front locust tree...

I like Ladybug House. And, if I ever get around to gifting or selling the fruits of my garden labours I'll label them "Ladybug House Creations".

Selkie

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 07 at 4:53

I should call mine "The Morning Glory House". I have the perennial variety all over. It climbs up the back of my house via a cable the cable company left hanging there. It's climbing over the garage roof now. Rampant but it sure is lovely.

o

Hi Everyone,

Hubby was interested in the names, so I put them in list form, hope I did not miss any, might be doubles...so if you want you can use the clippings feature to the right.

Maine Cottage and Red Cottage are what we are thinking, around town there's Poverty Rock, Wren Cottage, Tree Top Cottage, Gull Cottage, Far Away...From Away.

Leasa

The Rose Cottage
Plum Cottage
THE ROSE RABBIT
Echoes Echos
Echo Lane
Critter Cottage
Heartland Gardens
La Casa de (our last name would go here)
Chez (last name here)
Ma Stratton's Home for Wayward Animals
Penny Cottage
Garvey House
Stratton House
Ward 81
Electric Garden
Teacup Cottage
The Happy Farm
Fuchsia Villa
Tulip Villa
Phuong Nam Villa
Song Truc Villahuong Nam Villa
Song Truc Villa
Saigon House
Dalat Villa
Dang Gia Trang (meaning "the living place of the Dang family
Tuy Son Vien (meaning "The garden in Tuy Son
Whitebox
Dragons Den
Pennywort Cottage
Country Cottage
Wildflower Cottage
Country Estate
Wildflower Estate
Poverty Gulch
Tolkien
Fern Cottage
Cookiecutter Cottage
My Starter House
80 Mile Beach
Skeldale House
Morning Glory Farm
German School - A.D. 1868
Paid Off
Peaceful Oasis
The SUNFLOWER HOUSE
Midnight Farm
The Clarkarosa
Firefly Cottage
Hillside Cottage Gardens
Barefoot Cottage
Barefoot Manor
Barefoot Gardens
Moondom cottage
Cincinnati Cape Cod
Evenside Cottage
Daisy Cottage
Scrumledge
Lemonade Cottage
Jardin de Rouille (which means Garden of Rust)
Iona Place
Garden of Weedin'
Citrus Grove
Yellow Hill
The cottage
Permanent Vacation
The Egg Place
Belly Acres
Evenshade
Crazy
Bobo House
Maison de cheval blanc--House of the White Horse
Longborne
Pemberly
Rosings
Maison du Jardin--Garden House
Skye View
Skye Garden
Skye Grounds
The Dollhouse
Weathering Heights
Thrushcross Grange
Amy's Garden
Sycamore Cottage
The Demmon House
Angel Feathers and Critters Cottage
die Flederhouse
Wren's Nest
No Vue
Mantis Manor
Windy Hill
Crow Hill
Fox Run
Quail's Nest
In Over My Head Acres
I can Chew Meadow
Nine Acre Hill
CaliforniaTropiCottag
Lakeview Acres
Meadowcrest Farms
The Cabin
A-Fram
Turkey Run
Almond Joy
Heavenly Pines
Spruce Spread
Martins Grove
Grove Cottage
Cranberry Cottage
Cricket Hill
Maple Hill Cottage
Journeys End
Frog Hollar
Cottage Cheese
Star Wood
Kent Cottage
Dancing with Weeds'
Hundred Roses
Deer Salad Bar
Foxes Earth
Work in Progress House
High Elven
Weathering Heights,
Mockingbird Cottage
Frogs Haven
Mount M...(our last name)
Rosemount
A House of Happiness
Angel Lane
Eggplant Flower Bed
Meditation Retreat
Peaceful Path
Enchanted Forrest
Secret Home of Fairie
Dunmovin
The Flower Bin
Last Nickel Farm
Lake Louise
Tumbleweed Cottage
Eromitrom—Mortimore backwards!
Arbor Lea
(Last Name)" Hotel
Mon Petite Giverney
Monet's Grande Allee
Tin Box
Topanga Canyo
Massive Disaster
Heaven on Earth
Ladybug House
The Morning Glory House

o

Our farm is called White Star because being so far out, at night you can look up and actually still see the stars. Our nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile in any direction; completly out of sight during the day, with only two of those damned yard lights barely visible from one corner of the yard during the winter. Now that everying has greened up, we don't even see those.

Just a dark sky, and white stars.

o

Leasa ~ How thoughtful of you to put our cottage names in list form. It's wonderful to see them all. I love it and reading the stories behind each one has been fun and interesting.

FlowerLady

o

• Posted by zandra z9 Nw. CA coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 1:21

When I first moved into the place I'm in now, I was married, and the consensus was that the name would be either "Peace Rose" or "Pax Rosa", since we intended to plant as many varieties of Peace as available. Well, not only did that prove unworkable, but the place proved to be anything but peaceful, both within the house and without. The name never stuck and after the divorce I began to refer to the house jokingly as "The Squid" -an indication of how likeable and cozy it had been for me, although just as often I call it "Calimari", which sounds a little better. Now I'm getting ready to move, sooner rather than later, I'm hoping. I'm thinking it likely I'll call my next place "No More Tears" -and hope that it sticks.

o

Besides being gardeners and passionate rosiers (is that a real word?, can't come up with a better one-sorry!)here, we collect a certain type of porcelain head/composition body doll(s)here, and the doll Bleuette has a French origin. So for years on the Bleuette doll groups postings I've referred to our little house as 'Le Petit Periwinkle Maison' - where we and the dolls all live! DH and I built the dolls a 1:6 scale bookcase doll house that has a yellow exterior color (to match the living room wall its on), but the doll house has no name as yet, just a number.

I've also referred to our home over the years as the Rose Tree Tea Room, as we have over 100 roses and we are a serious tea party family! We have large scale (G scale)and O-scale trains, we call our trains the 'TeaRose Garden Railroad'.

I have a wooden painted sign by the front door that says "Salon de The'", but our gardens and home are definitely English Garden Style not French!

to see pics of our gardens, roses and recent landscaping projects, ck out my Picture Trail:

careytearose

Here is a link that might be useful: look at the Favorite ROSES we grow and Landscaping Projects 2007 albums

o

I have two garden bunnies and my husband makes fun of me because I INTENTIONALLY bought and spread clover seed in parts of our lawn for the bunnies to eat. :)

I've been thinking of naming it "The Clover Bunny" but I also LOVED the name "The Rose Rabbit" that someone else suggested.

o

When I was little, we lived in England, and all the other houses in our neighborhood had names, but ours didn't. I wanted to name it "The Cat House" because I loved cats. My parents wouldn't let me, but they wouldn't say why... it was only years later that I found out "cat house" is a euphemism for a house of ill repute. Boy, did I laugh!

o

My garden house had the name "Condo E" Named after a Condo my sister and I were invited to go to after a wedding-(where the fun was). But we have just moved to a place overlooking the Skagit Valley, tulip fields, farm land and bay, and we have named this place "Living on the Edge" because it is up on the side of Little Mountain.

o

My husband named our place "Gnome Manors" he thinks that's very witty :) So for his birthday we got him a garden gnome(only one!). He also named our homemade wine "Turpen-wine" and believe me some of it was!

o

During spring thaw or heavy rains, it has to be "Riverrun". We have a creek that nearly crests; quite a sight! In normal times, it just does a slow flow with a little waterfall my friend's son made with the stones.

Carol

o

We call our place 4 M Acre because there are 4 in our family, we all have first names starting with M, and we have an acre. Not very original.

o

I love this thread! What great names. I've always wanted to name our place, too. We have a tiny yard that we describe as the size of a postage stamp. I've jammed in gardens every place I can. I'd probably go with Postage Dew. should I leave it as that or add; garden, cottage, estate, or?

o

• Posted by lellie z9 Anna Maria Island (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 10:16

Great thread!
...and here I thought I was the only goofy one to name my house..LOL

I had thought about HAPPY OURS...but the house spoke to me...*snort!...told me his name was... JOLLYMON.

So...JOLLYMON, it is.

BTW: Our boat's name is BOTTOMS UP
LOL

o

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the cottage garden forum (been lurking for too long) and I just sent some pictures to the gallery. Please check them out.. I have named our home Pinkrosechateau with over 400 roses, mostly pink and my decorating style is French shabby chic. Have a great weekend~~kathee

o

GREAT post... for the past few weeks, I 've been thinking about naming the house - I will soon inherit. I'ts a 1850's-ish wooden white federalist on a 3/4 acre village lot in upstate in. I grew up in it, then moved back 6 years ago with husband and kids. Gardens,- pond, fruit, vegtables, roses, flowers, fountains, gazebo,, sun and shade and weeds. I've got it all..but nothing stands out. But as I've been gardening, I was thinking that if I had time to write a garden journal or blog, it would be called "The barefoot gardener". So...I really like the name, Barefoot Gardens. I am also inheriting a camp in the Adirondacks... mom called it Moss Bluff... but I'm liking Loon Watch. -

Kim

o

No name yet, but a few I have been thinking about

5th Acre Farm (our entire lot is just under a fifth of an acre)
Section 8 Station
Procrastination Place
Book and Blossom Bungalow

last year it would have been either
The Bunny Buffet
The Deer Diner

o

I named our bright-blue house "Dragonfly Cottage" because it is the color of a dragonfly I saw our first summer there.

o

Yes, and it comes from personal family history. Any property I live in (with the exception of one NH home that came with its own historical name: Peaslee Park) has been named "Fayrehale" .. old English spelling of "Fair Hall" and an early reference to "the big house" centuries ago in England. Back then the eldest son inherited all and other sons set off into the world. Thus we ended up in America. And our surname is derived from Fayrehale as well though it now bears no resemblance Fayrehale / Verrill

o

fayrehale, I love the story of your name and your property name. What a great history.

o

Mine is "Bantersville" because it used to be a schoolhouse and was called The Bantersville School. No one knows why, because no one can recall anyone by the name of Banter ever living in the area nor was there ever a community by the name of Bantersville anywhere near or in the entire county.

o

Hi all.

I have friends in England and they name their homes. My last home was under a lot of trees, so I had named it ShadowHouse. I moved to my current house (1.25 acres) about 6 years ago and at the time I had initially named the place HollyHouse for lack of a better idea.

When I decided this past July to turn the property into a bee & pollinator sanctuary, I pondered long and hard for a new name. Then, not long ago I was watching one of my favorite SF BBC series: Doctor Who. In that episode when he asked his companion if anything unusual was happening to Earth, she replied that the bees were disappearing. The Doctor determined that the bees were all going home to their own planet: Melissa Majora. Well, there you go! You can't get any better than that and so I've renamed the property to Melissa Majora.

I'm adding new beds and turning old beds into more bee- and pollinator-friendly than before. Another member from another forum even encouraged me to start blogging the progress so I'm doing that now too. Gives me a chance to put my gardens/gardening to good use and give something back so to speak.

I'm enjoying all the advice and tips I read here. Thanks!

Kris

o

Frogview Cottage

o

I loved reading this thread.

A few friends and I went to a nice daylilly farm this summer and they had a daylilly named "duke of earl". I had to have it!

My last name is Duke and I live on Earl. People also make reference to a song, with Duke of Earl in it.

That would be a fun name for our home.

o

We named our "The Greengate House", since we live on Greengate drive. Our house is currently blue and doesn't have a gate - but we will fix those details in the coming year. We have the colors picked out, and now we wait for dry weather.

We got the idea to name our house from my cousin in the UK, where a lot of houses have names.

o

We have a little Victorian cottage in Newport,RI and we named it "Lily Pad." (I love the Lotus, and my Husband's late grandmother was named Lily.) Though I admit the name was more apropo before we re-painted, when the house was still green. :-)

o

It didn't take me long to name our house Castle Jinx since all of our projects are stalled by unexplicable problems. At first we stressed out and blamed our DIY skills, but it became obvious it was the house causing mischief. We're so accustomed to it now that if a project starts to go smoothly, we feel suspicious and think "Wait for it..." We fully expect every project to bedevil us in some unanticipated way.

o

Wow, how funny to see this thread come back up!!! My old 'identity' is way back there in here. I have my new home now, and no longer care whether the neighbours think I'm eccentric, so I must put my mind to this. Hmmmmm, I have a bungalow, with green shutters, in a cedar bush. Cedar Cottage might be OK....

Nancy.

o

Our century-old farmhouse got its name, inadvertantly, as I was standing chatting with the old geezer from next door, shortly after we moved in.

It was early spring, and we were suffering from a three day's blow of ferocious, 35-40 mph straight-line winds out of the south. I'd already lost a dozen shingles off the roof. My flimsy cedar arbor had blown over and smashed to bits. My HEAVY teak Luytens bench had even been flipped over, like it was nothing!

I was standing there, holding onto my hat, shrieking over the noise, noticing that all the power lines were buried (for the first time! Three months after moving in! Not very observant, am I?) and that the windmills in the distance were turning furiously.

He just chuckled at my dismay, and said, "yep, shure does get blustery up here on Windy Ridge."

So, for better or worse, that's where we live: Windy Ridge Farm.

o

Yes, our cottage has a name. We named it 5th Place Cottage because it is the 5th place that my hubbie and I have restored....it seemed fitting and we love the name!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cottage Has a Name

o

Once I find out the history of my house I will probably name it after the first owners, circa 1850. This was one of the first homes in the area and the whole neighborhood belonged to the original owners, but it was forest and farmland. Then they built houses for their kids and parceled that land off. The land was sold off piece by piece and now we have just 1.25 acres. Maybe we should call it Last Slice Cottage. Or PITA Parcel, as it's been a PITA lately. No hot water today, have someone coming by Monday to replace the water heater. Slowly 40 gallons are emptying into my basement. Maybe What's Next Manor or High Maintenance Maison.

o

Funny this thread came back around as I was just thinking a few days ago about naming my house. I had been thinking Rose Cottage because of all the roses in my garden and my love for them. At the same time I was thinking of a name for the new chicken coop that is being built this Tuesday. Then it hit me! Instead of naming the house Rose Cottage (which I thought might be too orginary anyway) I thought of the name I was thinking of for the coop and make it the name of my house...The Henny Penny Cottage! I thought it sounded too cute. I also have a love for chickens about as much as I do roses so why not! Though my husband won't admit it I think he really likes the name. lol :O)~Meghan

o

I'm happy to see this thread come around again. I was the OP and I'm still at Evenshade. :) Henny Penny is darling!

o

That's cute. :-)

I have a herd of deer that eat breakfast at my house every morning. Hmm... Deer Gardens, Deer Cottage, House of Crazy Lady Who Does Not Chase Deer Away and Therefore Losses Half of Her Plants Every Year... the possibilities are endless.

o

My house actually does have a name, too. I live in the historic district of my town, and our local historical society has a plaque program for researching the history of the homes in the district and naming them. In conjunction with the historian, I recently named my house the "Anna P. Evans House" after the first homeowner/occupant.

I am the third owner of the house since Anna P. Evans (1912). The next owners bought it from Anna in 1931 and lived here until 1954 when they sold it to the family who lived here for 54 years before I bought it two years ago.

People who grew up in the house have come by to admire the gardens, including one man who was born in the house in 1932. One woman who grew up here came to visit and brought a potted mum. We sat on the front porch and she talked about how much her mother would have enjoyed the gardens.

I wish I could track down the descendants of Anna P. Evans and let them know that she has been memorialized through the house she once owned. As a single woman homeowner myself, it gave me particular pleasure to name the house after her.

o

pfmastin, I think Evenshade is a very pretty name! :O)

o

Yes, our retirement home is called Willow. It has a long drive way and at the entrance to the driveway there's Weeping Willow. Not very original, but we like it.

o

My garden is called The Mole Hole. For obvious reasons... ; )

o

I haven't been one to name things, but this has me thinking! We have a rock retaining wall on three sides of our front yard, maybe I'll name our place Rock Cottage.

o

Well my Garden is "Wren Garden" which is the origin of my screen name here. I saw a Western movie a long time ago and one of the female characters name was Awren. I loved it. I looked up info on the Wren birds and read of their tenacious nature, intelligence and courage in defending their families. That cinched it. It was also encouraging to think of this little brown bird with such heart. Don't let the cover fool you, under those tan feathers beats the heart of a warrior. It helped too that I found those little birds at a time in my life when there was an overwhelming pile up of crisis in my family that lasted 5 years. I have a collection of photos,ornaments,and gift cards featuring Wrens tacked up all over my sewing room. Always a reminder of a great spirit in a little package as what is possible.

o

What a fun thread. I'm so glad that it has been bumped up. We are still laughing at some of the names and you have inspired us to try to class-up our little corner of heaven with a name too. Our city repair people "fixed" the street in front of our driveway so that it is quite a bit lower than the driveway and water accumulates there with every rain or snow. My DH teases with the neighbors on our flat street, far from any lake, that they're jealous because we have Lake Front property. So, of course, that leads to the name "Lake Front Place" - nicely pretentious for our unpretentious street. But now DH has come up with, "God's Little Acher" and leaves me to choose my favorite. What a conundrum! Are we entitled to a separate name for the house and the garden? I plan on using "Allee View" for the backyard as it seems to be a source of interest to people driving down the alley peering through the fence.

o

Wonderful topic. Think this was one of the first threads I read when I came over to the CG forum, so have had this question in the back of my mind for awhile. I've gone back and forth over whether it would be silly to name my garden, since it isn't anything too special.

My mom always suggests "The Enchanted Garden", but that may be a bit overused I think. I kind of like "The Tipsy Tulip Garden", since I adore tulips and have almost thirty types planted. I got the idea after saying last year on this forum that 'my tulips were tipsy'- after they had been bent over from a late frost.
CMK

o

I really like this thread! For our home, I was thinking Foxglove Cottage, as I have numerous types of foxglove out front (not out back where the dogs could get to them if so inclined), but I googled it and it's the name of a Thomas Kincaide painting. Not a fan. So maybe Foxglove Manor, Foxglove Fields or Foxglove Acre, although I'm not sure if it's fitting to name something as long-standing as a house after a biennial. Perhaps bad luck, even! We have an older home (circa 1850) and I may look into the history of it and see where that leads me. There used to be horses on the property, before the surrounding acres were sold off, and we have a hay barn turned garage/wildlife hotel out back. Perhaps Maison du Chipmunk.

o

Have enjoyed reading this revitalized thread. It's very interesting to see what people name where they live and why.

Our family tends to name everything, from our farm, parts of the farm, vehicles...you name it.
We named our farm "Windy Knoll" when we moved here 33 years ago, and you can figure out why! Our house sits on top of one of the knolls. Funny, as a child i pictured living in a white house on top of a hill! Then when we married,my husband and I would go on drives and admire white farm houses with green shutters, and without really a grand plan, ended up in one. And we think we can't create!

o

The original name of the house was Penrose gardens and people thought it was a garden center, so I change the name to Penrose cottage,because the house is a 1922 crafts man style home and it does have the cottage look to it, the yard is packed with all types of flowers for a cottage feel

o

Yes it does have a name. As mentioned by others it is a common practice in the U.K. I have continued that here in Ontario Canada Our property is Called " Selkies Rock " there is a flagpole and below it is Selkies Rock. We are located very close to the water and the name seemed to fit the moment we took possession.

We now rent the property out during the summer , fall and winter and many people ask us why the name Selkies Rock. We usually tell them to look up the description of the Selkie in any of the search engines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selkies Rock

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here