Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprout_wi

Lavender Lass - Lovely Lilacs

sprout_wi
13 years ago

Lavender Lass (and any lilac lovers)- Remember a while back you were telling about your lilacs and I replied that mine were an eyesore and you suggested I send some photos, showing the house in relation to the hedge.

The hedge runs along our front property line - parallel the road. The front yard is divided by large old pines and a newly added hosta bed. (We just moved in two years ago).

We had an arctic willow in the front yard, but lost it to strong winds a few weeks back.Thanks for any feedback

-Sprout

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilac hedge in need of TLC

Comments (7)

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Those should be gorgeous when they bloom.Your yard is lovely and i LOVE those white iris's.What is that little yellow flower that looks like it's setting right on the leaves???
    TFS
    Kathi

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kathi- The little yellow flower is a Lysimachia ciliata. I thought it was a big weed, but someone on another thread was able to identify it for me.
    -Sprout (Linda)

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

how are these an eyesore, again>...?

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Sprout:

It looks like the previous owner already trimmed some down. Some are short, some are high. Given a few years, they should all reach the same size (about 8' or so). It looks like there might be a couple holes in the hedge too, it's hard to tell though. If there are holes in the hedge, go ahead and put a new one in.

For the shorter ones, just let them continue growing back to what they used to be. It doesn't look like anything is wrong or sick with them. They will be beautiful in the spring.

As they grow in, they will be a little bushier and fuller and taller. No worries!

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

I was also going to say, buy a few more to fill in the gaps. Despite convention, they don't have to be planted 6 - 10 feet apart. If you want a dense hedge, plant them close together. Then just let them grow and knit together.

I have a hedge (maybe 150 feet) of the common lilac that was planted in 1900. How much they've grown and replaced themselves over the years, I don't know, but now the main trunks seem to be 3 feet or so apart. In full leaf, the hedge is so dense no one can see in and I can't see out. And the blooming in June is spectacular beyond belief.

They're all of uniform height, probably 15-16 feet. Every ten years or so I have an arborist work on them taking out any weak or dead wood. I've never had them topped or the old spent flowers deadheaded after blooming. And pretty much leaving them alone has never affected the massive bloom.

• sprout_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I will fill in a couple of spots and then let it do it's thing.
    -Sprout

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Sprout- Sorry I didn't comment sooner...but had computer problems last week. I agree with what's already been said. You have a nice start to your lilac hedge, just add a few more bushes and let them fill in together.

Our hedge is a mixture of different shades of lavender and purple with some white thrown in. This is a pretty combination, but all one color would look nice, too. It depends on what you want to have in your yard...which looks very nice in your pictures :)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County