Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

What is performing great now?

louisianagal
13 years ago

What do you find is doing very well in the heat and with little water? I want more of this kind of stuff.

My limelight hydrangea is stunning, and it gets virtually no attention, and I just planted it this spring. Weigela shrubs also look good, one has dark purple foliage, one is variegated and sort of chartreuse. Abelia look great, I have Edward Groucher (sp?) and Frances Mason, both are awesome, get no attention. It seems my shrubs are doing best and I do plan to do more shrubs. My 'naked ladies' are up and blooming (bulb/lycoris?) and they are totally neglected, in fact, each year I forget I have them until they're up!!! Bulbs and shrubs are pretty easy, esp. bulbs which (unlike perennials) you can buy and throw on the side til you're ready to plant them!

Laurie

Comments (9)

• vicki7
    13 years ago

My oriental lilies just finished putting on a great show, and right now the perennial salvias, lantana and melampodium are looking good. I think everything else would perk up if we could get a break from the oppressive heat though!

• DYH
    13 years ago

Salvia
    agastache
    lavender
    verbena
    cosmos
    zinnias
    fountain grass
    sedum
    shasta daisies
    coneflowers
    perennial heliotrope is a workhorse
    coreopsis 'Redshift' and 'Autumn Blush'
    lantana 'Miss Huff' and another perennial type

with minimal watering:
    monarda 'Raspberry Wine' is still blooming
    joe pye weed 'Little Joe'
    ironweed
    geranium 'Rozanne' has never stopped blooming, but requires trimming to keep it looking good
    foliage of mums - should have good blooms for fall
    foliage of amsonia hubrichtii still looks lush and green

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

My pumpkin vine is flourishing! (although we do have to water it quite a bit).

Plum tree is flourishing even though I planted it in the heat of the summer.

Weirdly enough, my foxgloves that are in full sun are still kicking and sending up new flower stalks.

Cosmos and phlox excelling. Morning glory too!.

Beans are not doing so well. Nor are my shorter daisies, I forgot to spray them and they got some PM.

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

Phlox! They are like cotten candy in the morning mist - love them. Here with the surprise lilies that add that lovely ice pink...

Tad blurry but dahlias backed with perennial hibiscus.

Zinnias, deep purple leaf pink celosia, angelonia, buddlea...

• AmeliaD
    13 years ago

Wow! it has been too hot here - even 4 o'clocks are drooping - not much blooming - I may have to move further north - cindysunshine - your garden is absolutely gorgeous!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Your garden is lovely. I love the phlox and th4e surprise lilies. How refreshing.
    kay

• aquilachrysaetos
    13 years ago

I have three crape myrtles, a lot of lantana and two plane trees that just love the heat. However, my soil drains sharply and I must water for anything to look good.

Oh and the perennial morning glory is going nuts! It's covered the back of my house and has traveled partly over the roof. It makes my little 1950s ranch look very cottagey. The vigor of the vine is due to the bath water that drains out to the yard. The ultimate in recycling water.

Roses are not doing too shabbily, either.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

My Roses! Granted I'm a novice Rose grower, all of them except one are Knockouts. The other is a peach Floribunda.

Each summer I plan to "graduate" to a harder Rose to grow. lol.

Last winter a cow got in our yard and ate a KO down to the ground almost. Now it's a beautiful tall and wide shrub full of blooms!

I'm so impressed with myself I plan on planting many more Roses in my garden instead of my usual flowers. lol

But I do water them often because of the high heat.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Yikes, I forgot about my Carpet Roses! They're doing fantastic and IMO, every Cottage Gardner should have them. :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting