Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Blue and Yellow

thinman
10 years ago

I have a real fondness for blue and yellow. It probably goes back to my days as a Cub Scout. :) I had the shirt, the cap, and the yellow neckerchief with a brass slider, and at the end of the year we had the Blue and Gold Banquet, where we got the badges that we had earned. It was a tremendously big deal. I try to remember how it was then, when I'm dealing with my grand kids now.

The day lily is one that I believe was bred locally.

ThinMan

Comments (11)

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

My favorite colors also.

I was so proud the day my oldest grandson became an eagle scout.

kathy

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I gravitate towards blue and yellow together also, but I'm very picky about the shade of yellow.

• grandmachris
    10 years ago

They're the color of the Swedish flag! Yea!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Not really blue and yellow, more chartreuse and purple.

Purple Wave petunias and melampodium.

Little Honey hydrangea and purple basil.

tj

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Husband was an Eagle Scout, son was a Cub Scout, and grandmother was Swedish, so yes, I love blues and yellows together. Very pretty.

• janie58
    10 years ago

Not really blue and yellow (more of an orange) but nice together ... bachelor buttons & bright lights cosmos.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those look great, Janie!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

TM, love that combo. Are those delphiniums, or larkspur?
    Do you/have you done larkspur from seed? Indoors or direct sow? I'd like to try it, especially if that is larkspur in your photo. Is that in the new bed? I didn't notice daylilies in there. Thanks for any info!

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Balloon flower & coreopsis along with daylilies make an impressive show in late July. I do like the combination but prefer blue & white in my current garden. Can't say it'll always be my preference but balloon flowers have been my favorites these past 8 years at least.

My son was a scout back in the day so we did the blue & gold thing years ago along with the soap box derby. Cherished memories of parenthood.

Pretty pic thinman--thanks for sharing.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Perennial morning glory and butterfly vine. Both can be bullies, so I have to be diligent about keeping them in control.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TJ, sorry I am late getting to your post. I really enjoyed your beautiful combinations. You must have outstanding gardens.

Thyme, those are delphinium. I have done larkspur from seed, but I haven't done it well. It seems to work best when the plants self seed in the fall and the seed just sits there all winter. I have a patch of purple larkspur that keeps growing each year. This is in a different bed than my new one - one I have had going for a while.

Gardenweed, it's funny you should mention balloon flowers, as I started some blue ones from seed this year and they are all ready to put in, if I can decide on a spot. I haven't grown them before and am looking forward to seeing them next year.

Kathy, those morning glories look great with the butterfly vine, not that I will ever see that combo here in northern Michigan. I've grown Heavenly Blue morning glories - what a great blue they are.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment and add to my post.

TM

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths