Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Off Topic Alert to the Plight of the Monarch Butterfly

docmom_gw
10 years ago

Because of a combination of bad luck, drought, development of subdivisions, and the near eradication of milkweed plants in the agricultural regions with Round-Up ready crops, the incredible Monarch butterfly has declined dramatically in just the past year. There were about one third the number of butterflies overwintering last season as there had been just one year earlier.
But, we can pull them back from the brink by simply planting milkweed, which the baby caterpillars need to eat, and planting flowers that can provide nectar to support them on their long flight to Mexico in the fall and then back north in the spring.

For more information, visit Monarch Watch to learn more about where you can purchase milkweed plants or seeds, and which are the best nectar plants (including many annuals). Thanks for your attention to this critical issue. Together we can have a huge impact.

Martha

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Watch

Comments (6)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I bought three Asclepius at our local spring native pant sale. Hope my little bit will help. All our neighbors use pesticides and herbicides on their lawns which doesn't help. We need a huge change in people's attitudes to ensure the survival of all our migrating species and our native honey bees. We are on our way to a planet that will not sustain us.

Stepping of the soapbox now. Thanks for the reminder to us all, although I fear we are both preaching to the choir (how's that for too many metaphors?).

• jacquierz5bmi
    10 years ago

Thank you for reminding us about the importance of insects and pollinators. I have Asclepias planted in my garden and have seen no Monarchs or their caterpillars. I also have Liatris, black-eyed susan, and purple coneflowers for the adults. Some of the vacant fields around here have milk weed growing.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Most plants in my gardens are either attractive to butterflies or hummingbirds, or both (nectar wise) and I've added two "butterfly weed" (the "a" word plants that I can't pronouce or spell, lol). We've had a lot of work over the past year bringing the gardens back from weeds or non-existance, but this year we've been rewarded...with a LOT of bees (and I do mean this in a positive way, I'm always happy to see the honeybees)! One morning my "sundrops" were absolutely full of them-there was at least one bee per flower! And a hummer or two, and some cabbage whites. I have begun to see some painted ladies (I think) and hopefully the monarchs will start to arrive soon. I plan yet another bed of just wildflower seed, and one more TBD (seed mix is so temptingly easy and cheap compared to buying individual plants). I think it was two or three years ago when we saw a bunch of monarchs taking shelter in some trees during the migration-it was phenominal. We live on the shore of Lake Ontario, so we're right in a major pathway for them...

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It warms my heart to know there are so many wonderful people on "our side." Keep up the fantastic work and bend as many ears as you get a chance to. Also, collect seeds, if you can, to donate to those who'd like to help, but are financially limited. I'm also not above "guerrilla gardening," which is sneaking into untended areas and planting natives--either plants or seeds. Some people even make seed "bombs" which are just a ball of soil, seeds and compost to help the seed get started. Drive around and have a teenager toss them out the window at convenient curves.

Martha

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

My original Aesclepius has seeded faily freely, so there are several of them in my garden My fennel did not come up this year so I have some growing to replace it for the swallowtails. (It will never survive the cats, it's still too small) and the garden is full of butterfly friendlies planted for them. Oh, yes, many volunteer zinnias that they love are here too.

kay

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay,
    I am so jealous that you get volunteer zinnias. They are one of my favorite nectar flowers. Fortunately, I am able to start them via wintersowing or indoors under lights. I can get a bit of a head start that way, rather than waiting for my garden soil to be warm enough for them to germinate. If I waited for that, I wouldn't have blooms until August. LOL

I was lucky enough to find a bunch of Monarch eggs on my milkweed last week, so now I have baby caterpillars growing in containers on my counter. I hope many of you are lucky enough to see Monarchs this year.

Martha

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!