Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondiesc

Garden Shed - Need Some Ideas

blondiesc
15 years ago

I've got knockout roses beside my shed but I'm not happy with them there. I believe they need more sun. I want something there with some structure for winter interest. The bed is L shaped and extends for probably 15 or 20 feet that you can't see in this pic. The bed gets about half day of sun. I'm thinking of maybe ornamental grasses, but don't want anything much over 3 to maybe 4 feet tall at maturity. Also thought about lorapetalum. Any ideas?

{{gwi:61176}}

Comments (9)

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

It sounds like it would be a good place for a variety of daylilies. They say the more pastel ones should not be in full sun. I also love coral bells, but they would want the sun to be in the morning, not afternoon.

Let us know what you come up with.
    Sue

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Cute shed and I LIKE how you have done the beds around it. Yep, Knockout's really do need lots of sun to perform as they should. Loropetalum would look amazing with your shed. In your picture the shed looks like it is a mauve color(?) and the burgundy of the loropetalum would be striking. I have loropetalum as a foundation shrub in the front of my house. They can get REALLY big and I have to cut mine twice a year to keep them the size I want them but they are worth the trouble. I recently saw a show on TV that used Loropetalum as a small tree. The link has a picture. I love it in a tree form but don't know if that would work for what you have planned.

I also have ornamental grasses, which are great, but if it were me I'd put Loropetalum in that shed bed.
    Vikki

Here is a link that might be useful: Loropetalum as a tree

• blondiesc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vikki --- Thank you so much for your input. It is hard to capture the color of the shed in a photo, but yes, it is a mauve/taupe color. I'm definitely leaning toward loropetalum. Don't know if you noticed but at the front corner of the shed I've planted dark leaf begonia. I like the way the color of the begonia compliments the shed. I'm thinking that the loropetalum effect would be similar. I also have loropetalum in another part of the yard and I think that adding more would provide some continuity.

That is really interesting the way the loropetalum is shaped into a tree. I may have to try that as well, in another area of my yard, that is.

Thanks again for your time in responding.

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

I definitely like the idea of the lorapetelum and it holds its leaves year round so you would always have color there - gardenia or camelia would also give you year round color

this is not a good picture but the maroon tree in the middle is my lorapetelum that I shaped into a tree. They make a nice airy tree - I want to do a couple more out front

Lynne

• irene_dsc
    15 years ago

I have no idea what lorapetelum is (I guess it isn't hardy up here) - but what about a hydrangea? Do they grow well by you?

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Yes, I now see the dark leaved begonia at the entrance to your shed and they certainly do compliment the color of the shed. Therefore, I think Lorapetelum is the winner? NO?

Lynn, I love that tree form Lorapetelum you have. It looks beautiful in the woodland setting between the bright green trees. How old is yours? They grow so fast don't they?

Vikki

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Vikki - that one is about 5 years old and yes they do grow fast - all you have to do is pick a couple of sturdy stems when it is young and trim everything else away and each year limb it up till you get the branching you like - you will always have suckers around the base to keep cut back but I just love the look and what a pleasure to see the pink blossoms in late January/early February.....

Lynne

• blondiesc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Irene - Lorapetelum is a beautiful, burgundy colored shrub.
    Has a pink bloom early in the spring. Foliage remains nice year round. I have thought about hydrangea as that is one of my favorite shrubs, however these southern summers are too much for them unless they are in mostly shade areas. This area is too little sun for roses but too much for hydrangeas.

Lynne - Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to try to make a lorapetelum tree after seeing yours. I have an area of my yard that would be perfect for that. Thanks for the inspiration.

Vikki - Yes, lorapetelum is the winner. I'm daydreaming of fall when I can make these (and a whole slew of other) changes to my garden.

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Blondie...my Lorapetelum blooms twice a year for me. Once in the spring and again in the summer. It blooms less in the summer but I can still see a few blooms on mine now.

You have more patience than me. I'd be out there now making the changes. If you make sure you water well you can really plant or move plants anytime of the year. At least that has been my experience
    Vikki

Sponsored