Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

A few pics from yesterday and today

hosenemesis
11 years ago

Hi all,

It has been so lovely here in Southern California for the last few days, cool and slightly overcast at times. Great weather for taking photos. So here are a few I took of my garden, which still looks green in July.

Here is a link that might be useful: July pics

Comments (15)

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Looking good Renee,I love all your different walkways,wish i was younger so i could tackle walkways like that.That last picture of the yellow brug/datura sure grows fast,doesn't it?? We got one from a friend maybe 3 weeks ago and that thing has taken off.

I love that pinkie rose,climber right??Enjoyed my tour of your gardens.TFS
    kathi

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I love all of those paths and walkways too, they give so much definition to the gardens. And the roses are gorgeous.

I also love your user name and think of it every time I get tangled up with my hose or drag it across a plant accidentally :)

• scully931
    11 years ago

I LOVE the cobblestone paths!

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those paths will break your hips just as fast as a hose will. As soon as I get them level a gopher pops up and I have to re-do a whole section. Ugh.

That's funny about the name, mandolls. Every time I get Argentine ants crawling up my legs I imagine socalgirl saying "the ANTS! it's the ANTS! Oh, the ANTS!

Renee

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm just stopping by but would like to say Renee I love love love your garden.

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Renee,
    you have a very beautiful garden,..i toured twice and enjoyed both trips,..is that a yellow "Brugmansia".

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

As always, just beautiful.
    What did you use for the "wooden" path.
    I was given a cutting of a white brugmansia. When it finally bloomed this year, it was another pink.

It has been pretty nice here. It has rained a bit every day of July, except today. We will be getting dry air and high temps tomorrow or so. :^(
    Kathy

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    11 years ago

Renee, always beautiful!

I wanted to ask you about your path. My fieldstone path when I inherited it was only 3 feet wide because the rest of its 6 feet width was covered by grass, irises, and neglect. One path was completely invisible and I didn't even know it was there until I began weeding after our purchase and kept finding more rocks.

I was very motivated to grow a beautiful ground cover between the rocks, but I am finding out that grass continues to pop up EVERYWHERE. I'm assuming it is because there are still healthy grass roots underneath the stones that continue to send up shoots despite weeding and Round Up.

So, what's the secret to getting grass and weeks out of the places where your ground cover is growing? I can keep dirt between the paths through just weeding, but it's the ground cover that challenges me!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Always enjoy touring your garden too, love the variety of blooms and colors. Thanks for sharing.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    11 years ago

Inspiring!

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Ahhh, a lovely tour!!!

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have the same problem, Deanna. I have gotten frustrated and sprayed everything with Round-up. Now the paths are full of oxalis. It's an endless chore, and I'm losing interest in it. I think cement is a good solution.

Plantmaven, those are railroad ties, cut down with a chain saw. They have just about rotted out after six years.

I like the yellow brugmansias the best. My white and pink ones do not have nice shapes, but the yellow ones are easy to prune into a pretty umbrella shape. I prefer the white flowers and the scent of the white ones, but the yellow are a much better plant for me.

Thank you all for the kind words. Today I pruned off all of the spent roses and pulled out most of the annuals. It's so bare now!

Renee

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

I love the refreshing look of your garden. It always looks cool and inviting.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    11 years ago

Well, it's nice to hear there's not somethings unusually frustrating about my paths. If you can't keep the weeds out there's no way I can. I think I'll be keeping the dirt between the rocks for a while then! All those magazines with such lovely ground cover between the rocks--you've got to wonder if they redo the whole path just for the photo shoot!

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!