Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneestauffer

English bluebells, or Forget-Me-Nots?

reneestauffer
13 years ago

I have a small area in my yard under a group of five maple trees that I've mulched (the entire area, not just around each tree). Currently all I have growing there is some hostas, foxglove and lilies of the valley. It's a work in progress. I would love to have a beautiful drift of blue in the spring, but can't decide between bluebells and Forget-me-nots. Is there a benefit to one over the other? Do either of them stay green all summer? Is one more raggedy looking than the other after the flowers fade?

~Renee in NY

Comments (7)

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

I don't grow the English Bluebells (Scilla Non-scripta/Endymion Non-scripta), but I have countless thousands of Scilla Siberica which produce large drifts of blue as soon as the snow melts. Followed up by drifts of forget-me-nots (Myosotis Sylvatica) in all the garden beds.

Truth be told, I couldn't pick one over the other since they've always been here - brought in with loads of topsoil maybe? Neither of them will stay green all season.

The scilla in the grass just get mowed down; the ones in the garden beds will get hidden by hostas, lilies of the valley, ferns, the emerging perennials etc. while they're dying down and eventually disappearing.

The forget-me-nots are pretty well finished blooming by the 4th. of July here, the parent plant is starting to get pretty ratty and turn black. I pull them up making sure to drop whatever seeds haven't dropped naturally. By the end of summer, I have scads of next year's blooming plants.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

Another sheet-of-blue bulb that spreads easily and beautifully and blooms earlier than the above is glory-of-the-snow, Chionodoxa luciliae. It's a small bulb but if you plant just 25 or so, you will be amazed how they spread.

They are true blue and come right after the snowdrops for me. Foliage is short, like wide-bladed grass and quickly matures and disappears. Not sure how they'd do in maple roots tho...very tough conditions.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

I vote for all of the above!! imo, while I love forget-me-nots, the foliage does get ratty after flowering, while the others just melt away. Another great Spring blue is Jacob's Ladder, but it is taller!!

Nancy.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

forget-me-nots bloom for a lot longer than bluebells

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

For shade I think a better blue flower in brunnera.

• silvergirl426_gw
    13 years ago

I love bluebells -- very cottage-y -- but they bloom early and they're taller certainly than scilla and forget-me-nots too. After they're done blooming they are just a nondescript green leaf. I have all of the above in z 5. Scilla are so special because they're so early. So welcome after the long winter. And great spreaders.

• reneestauffer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! The verdict is: undecided! :oP
    I may do some of each, in different areas of the yard. I have to check the budget. I'm trying to be good.

Sponsored