Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Mary lu...Rose Question

Oakley
13 years ago

I don't wanna go to the Rose Forum. You can't make me. hee.

Mary lu (or anyone else who can help), I'm dipping my feet into Rose Growing.

I've got quite a few Knock Outs & Carpet Roses, which led me to "graduate" to another easier Rose which is the "Floribunda, Easy Does It."

It's a multi-colored Rose, peach and pale orange, and I just love it! It's grown at least a couple of feet this summer and is always in bloom. It's about 3.5' tall now.

Do I need to prune this Rose in the Spring? And if so, how far down should I prune it? I don't have to prune the other Roses.

My only concern is where it's located, although the other Roses in the same area thrived.

It's planted on the north side of the house which gets morning to night sun. Well, the Rose starts getting shade about 4 o'clock.

Come winter, this flowerbed is ALL shade. Not one drop of sun except maybe in the early morning hours.

Which means when we get sleet or ice, it sits on top of the plants for days and days because of no shade. Will the sleet and ice effect this Rose? It doesn't effect the other Roses though.

Next year I want to grow other Floribundas and someday graduate to Tea Roses. :)

Comments (4)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Hi Mary Lu, glad you are enjoying your roses. For pruning, you can probably just wait until the rose branches start leafing out in the spring and just cut off any dead or almost dead tips. Ice can hurt roses if it weighs down the branches and cracks them, similar to what it does to trees. Another way ice can hurt roses is if you get a late ice storm and the ice coats the branches as the rose is breaking dormancy. Then you will get more than usual dead branch tips, but it won't kill the whole bush, just knock it back a bit.

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

I'll take a stab at it, but remember my zone is quite a bit different than yours.

As far as pruning, I prune here mostly because of winter die back. But this summer I learned that some of my roses get too big if left unpruned in spring. They have been in the ground 5 years and have probably reached maturity. Next spring they will be cut back in spring, whether they need it or not. This past winter was a cold one, but with all the snow cover most of my roses had little to no winter die back. Hence little pruning in spring. Lesson learned.

I would suggest a light pruning in spring if no winter die back, then see how big the bush gets. It will be trial and error for a few years until you get to know your bush, in your climate, in your yard.

As far as north side and ice during the winter...do you do any winter protecting? How cold do you get? One concern would be ice breaking down the canes. But as it is shaded in the winter, at least you would not have the freeze/thaw cycle nearly as much as if it got sun for part of the day.

What I suspect will happen is that the plants/roses planted in the winter shade area will just be later waking up than those planted in sun/shade areas. The ground will not warm up as quickly as that in a sun area. If the ice has not affected other roses in that area, and if this rose is rated for the same zone as the other roses, I suspect it will do just fine. Lots of variables. Sorry.

Keep in mind.....I'm no expert. :-) Just someone who has/is learning by trial and error! Also someone who likes to push the zone occasionally!

Anyone else want to chime in??

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

One more thing....as my DH told me the first year I started planting the garden room "If it doesn't work, just buy another and try again!" That first year I was paralyzed by indecision.....not wanting to make a mistake I was afraid to buy/plant anything!! I have replanted many of my roses through the years. Ones that I decided I didn't like, ones that didn't do well, or just ones that didn't do what I wanted them to! I have learned that it's ok to try and fail and try again!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I can control the ice on the branches before it does any damage.

But we get a lot of sleet storms and the ground ends up having an inch of packed sleet. It's like an ice rink. So the packed ice will be on top of the ground.

I add more mulch to the roses each fall. My piddly Hydrangea made it through last winter so hopefully my Rose will too.