Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need some colour....

Posted by misobento z5 WI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 9:55

Hi all....I was looking at our front yard this morning and it is all green, green, green. Blah. The flowers have all finished for the most part and the toad lilies still have a ways to go until they bloom. Any suggestions for something I could plant that would bloom end of August/early September that would tolerate high shade? Zone 5.

(plants in that garden already: rhododendron, astilbe, coral bells, hosta, hellebore, fern, toad lily etc). )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need some colour....

You could try some of these..... Japanese anemones. They come single and double, white and pink.

o

...or turtleheads (Chelone obliqua speciosa) or Cimicifuga (now Actaea) racemosa.

tj

o

Many of the Hydrangea paniculata are at their peak now - Pinky Winky, Pink Diamond, The Swan, etc. and would be happy with bright shade. I have one of the dark red leafed Cimicifugas/Actaeas, maybe 'Brunette', which adds color from the foliage as well as the tall wands of flowers. I know you asked about flowers, but often in shade I count on foliage to provide much of the color - chartreuse, gold, and white from hosta (along with their lavender and white flowers), variegated leaves from some of the shrubby dogwoods, Brunneras, and Solomon's seal, and a whole bunch of different colors from Heuchera and Heucherella: chartreuse, gold, reddish, maroon, frosted and everything in between.

o

I love my anemones! They are just about ready to bloom. Hydrangea are also a wonderful choice. My pups ran over my cimiicifugas, so I can only say I wish...!

o

Right now my Kiss Me Over garden Gate look pretty. Hummers sitting in them to wait their turn.

o

koszta, could you post a pic of your KMOGG? I planted Love Lies Bleeding and I thought the two plants were very similar, the LLB being an annual. Mine didn't get very tall on account of dry conditions but are blooming finally.

o

If you like periwinkle blue you could try Perennial ageratum and the Sedums often bloom now ( Autumn Joy,etc)

o

Coleus come in a huge variety of colors and patterns, and they keep going as long as it's reasonable warm. And they do great in all light levels.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here