Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

A Room With a View....

schoolhouse_gw
10 years ago

.....from my bedroom window this morning. The last roses of summer, purple iron weed, last of the hydrangea blooms, and some sunflowers.

Comments (14)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

What a beautiful view to wake up to!

• frogview00
    10 years ago

I have always loved that fence. Don't you grow sweetpeas on that fence, or was it morning glory. Sigh,....so relaxing. Now, where's my gin martini?

Jim

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

The color on that iron weed is just incredible. I've planted some, but it won't bloom until next year, probably. Thanks for sharing.

Martha

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all.

frog, I normally grow Heavenly BLue morning glories on the fence but for the past two years I have not. I'm trying different annuals planted along the inside of the fence and the MG would just entwine themselves on the flower stalks.

This year something happened I can't quite believe. One time many years, don't know how many, I planted the dreaded Grandpa Otts. Since then I pulled out any and all babies every Spring until a couple years ago I was satisfied when I saw none. This year two young MG plants sprung up. I was curious. Could they be Grandpa's or the Heavenly Blues I had been planting? So I let one grow and it did so vigorously, and even tho I was pretty sure I recognized the leaf shape of GO I let it climb and bloom - a dark purple Grandpa Ott! After all these years??? Incredible.

As to the Ironweed, I love the color and even its height. Just as someone here warned me, you do have to keep seedlings pulled as they thrive everywhere except where I would like them - in the orchard with the other wild flowers and weeds. lol

• luckygal
    10 years ago

What a lovely peaceful scene to wake up to! TFS

• nulty
    10 years ago

Fantastic view from your bedroom,..your garden blends in with the fields beyond,..i imagine if i were to look at that view each morning breakfast would be long gone cold,..very pretty.

Philip

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Schoolhouse- That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

Now, I really want to do something pretty, outside my bedroom window!

• frogview00
    10 years ago

yes, I remember now about the GO. That has been a few years.
    I'm retired now and living in south Florida. I check in on this forum rarely but have many memories of your sculptured boxwood teapot. Do you still have it? Oh, and the stone bench. You have a strong will (and back), not to mention talent.

I'm learning the flora here and have fallen in love with plumeria. I've got cuttings all over the place.

Cheers!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lav Lass, you always reach for the stars and dream of projects like me! mostly I dream. Sometimes they come true. Currently I have in my mind to build a pavilion down in the orchard, a simple wooden platform and using four old porch columns I've saved over the years. It's so frustrating because it seems so simple to build yet I'm hesitant to try. Now give me stone, that's no problem. But a tape measure and drill? forget it.

Yes frog I still have the teapot, and the tea cup is fully formed now and looking pretty good. I trimmed my boxwood hedges four times this season - normally only do that twice. I don't know if it was all the good rain we had in the Spring or what but they grew as fast as I snipped. The stone bench is still there in what I'm calling the "little walled garden" now instead of "the sunken garden", since I have another older small sunken garden.

Speaking of strong backs. I need to unload two bags of mulch from the trunk of my car that have been in there for a week. So hot and humid here I don't care to do anything.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Soooooo pretty. I really like the plants you chose for that area because it looks like Mother Nature planted them to blend with the fields beyond. Such a great setting and you really hit the nail on the head with the plants. It's so natural.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Your view has me longing to leave my suburban yard for the countryside. Or perhaps on the edge of a city/town. TFS.

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

What a lovely space. You have the most beautiful garden..makes me feel relaxed to just gaze at the pictures. c

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

How lovely! Your view immediately reminded me of western Pennsylvania where I grew up, then I noticed you live in nearby Ohio. Practically neighbors.

Rosefolly
    (now in California)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Such kind remarks, thanks everyone. Well we can still pretend we are neighbors Rosefolly. ;)

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!