Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcr1968

Wanna see my pretties?

mcr1968
13 years ago

I don't really have many plants this year. Hopefully next year it'll be better. I would like to share what little I have though:

These are flowers from my Rose of Sharon bush? It has pink, lavender, and white colored blooms on the same bush and blooms non-stop for a really long time.

Sunny Knock-Out Rose still blooming and budding. It's been blooming every since I planted it this summer. I love the colors and the fragrance of this knock-out rose bush:

Bloom from my Nanho Blue Butterfly Bush. It doesn't seem to be getting much bigger than when I planted it this year, but it continuously puts off blooms. Maybe next year it'll grow?:

one little patch of marigolds...in my favorite colors:

and if you've already seen this hosta bloom in the "one plant that wow'd you" post, too bad...you're going to see it again...lol...

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully the mums I purchased from Bluestone will put on a show soon and I can share those with you as well. Thanks for looking...catch ya later!

Comments (8)

• natal
    13 years ago

My MIL loved Rose of Sharon. One of her sons took a few cuttings from my FIL's largest shrub and transplanted them at their grave site.

Love the color of your Nanho Blue. How big is the bush? I was thinking about one for next year and I like that it's supposed to stay more compact.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Very pretty mcr, I love those hosta blossoms!!

• mcr1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

natal: I also love the Rose of Sharon bushes. I dug up a few sprouts from under this rose of sharon in the summer of 2008:

and here's what the sprouts look like this year:

It already reaches every bit of 5.5 to 6 ft tall and has been covered in blooms for most of the year.

As far as the Nanho blue bfly bush, it was just planted July 4th weekend, so it hasn't got much bigger than what it was when I get it. Approx. 2 ft tall, by maybe 3.5 to 4 ft wide. But the majority of the branches lay towards the ground. There are maybe 2 or 3 branches on each bush that are standing "sort of" upright. Not sure if this is normal or not for a butterfly bush, but that is all I'm getting out of it this year so far. Here's some pics to show you what I mean:

This is the bfly bush on the right side of the flower bed:

Here's the one on the left side of the flower bed:

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Oh that butterfly bush will grow like crazy next year! Youll love it even more. Very nice start to your garden!! I have a blushing bride rose of sharon that was 6inches tall last year when i bought it. This year its 4foot tall and so pretty i cant wait for it to grow up!!

• gldno1
    13 years ago

They are pretties! I love that hosta, now I have to go back to the other post and see if you gave the name.

Rose of Sharons are wonderful shrubs. They bloom and look good no matter the weather. I had the attack of the killer Japanese Beetles all season and they are still blooming and looking good.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Very nice photos! I love my rose of sharon. Such a nice reliable shrub in the garden. What zone are you in? I really like that Sunny knockout rose but I don't find them to do too well in my zone.

Gldno1, the hosta is H. plantaginea. Late-blooming with large flowers and a very beautiful smell.

• mcr1968
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks gldno and tyme2dig. thyme2dig...I'm in Z6KY. So far (knocking on wood) it seems to be doing great. Not sure how well it will overwinter. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• scully931
    13 years ago

Rose of Sharon are like weeds around here. I swear I must chop down over a dozen every summer. That said, I leave a lot of them because they are very nice. The forest that backs up to my yard is edged with them and I remember when I first saw them bloom... sooo pretty.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!