Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanna see my pretties?

Posted by mcr1968 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 10:51

I don't really have many plants this year. Hopefully next year it'll be better. I would like to share what little I have though:

These are flowers from my Rose of Sharon bush? It has pink, lavender, and white colored blooms on the same bush and blooms non-stop for a really long time.

pretty in pink2

augblooms3

augblooms2

Sunny Knock-Out Rose still blooming and budding. It's been blooming every since I planted it this summer. I love the colors and the fragrance of this knock-out rose bush:

sunny yellow knockout rose

Bloom from my Nanho Blue Butterfly Bush. It doesn't seem to be getting much bigger than when I planted it this year, but it continuously puts off blooms. Maybe next year it'll grow?:

nanhobluebflybush

one little patch of marigolds...in my favorite colors:
marigold

and if you've already seen this hosta bloom in the "one plant that wow'd you" post, too bad...you're going to see it again...lol...
augustlilyhostabloom

augustlilyhostabloom2

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully the mums I purchased from Bluestone will put on a show soon and I can share those with you as well. Thanks for looking...catch ya later!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanna see my pretties?

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 11:32

My MIL loved Rose of Sharon. One of her sons took a few cuttings from my FIL's largest shrub and transplanted them at their grave site.

Love the color of your Nanho Blue. How big is the bush? I was thinking about one for next year and I like that it's supposed to stay more compact.

o

Very pretty mcr, I love those hosta blossoms!!

o

natal: I also love the Rose of Sharon bushes. I dug up a few sprouts from under this rose of sharon in the summer of 2008:

101_1211

and here's what the sprouts look like this year:

roseofsharon2010

It already reaches every bit of 5.5 to 6 ft tall and has been covered in blooms for most of the year.

As far as the Nanho blue bfly bush, it was just planted July 4th weekend, so it hasn't got much bigger than what it was when I get it. Approx. 2 ft tall, by maybe 3.5 to 4 ft wide. But the majority of the branches lay towards the ground. There are maybe 2 or 3 branches on each bush that are standing "sort of" upright. Not sure if this is normal or not for a butterfly bush, but that is all I'm getting out of it this year so far. Here's some pics to show you what I mean:

This is the bfly bush on the right side of the flower bed:
rightbflybush

Here's the one on the left side of the flower bed:
leftbflybush

o

Oh that butterfly bush will grow like crazy next year! Youll love it even more. Very nice start to your garden!! I have a blushing bride rose of sharon that was 6inches tall last year when i bought it. This year its 4foot tall and so pretty i cant wait for it to grow up!!

o

They are pretties! I love that hosta, now I have to go back to the other post and see if you gave the name.

Rose of Sharons are wonderful shrubs. They bloom and look good no matter the weather. I had the attack of the killer Japanese Beetles all season and they are still blooming and looking good.

o

Very nice photos! I love my rose of sharon. Such a nice reliable shrub in the garden. What zone are you in? I really like that Sunny knockout rose but I don't find them to do too well in my zone.

Gldno1, the hosta is H. plantaginea. Late-blooming with large flowers and a very beautiful smell.

o

Thanks gldno and tyme2dig. thyme2dig...I'm in Z6KY. So far (knocking on wood) it seems to be doing great. Not sure how well it will overwinter. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

o

Rose of Sharon are like weeds around here. I swear I must chop down over a dozen every summer. That said, I leave a lot of them because they are very nice. The forest that backs up to my yard is edged with them and I remember when I first saw them bloom... sooo pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here