Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deadheading bee balm & mallow

Posted by aubade nj, 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 11:36

I have a lavender bee balm (monarda fitulosa) and a red bee balm (monarda didyma) growing for their 2nd season this year. They grew huge, and had lots of wonderful blooms. But now all of the petals have fallen off, and the plants are left with just a bunch of round pom-pom looking heads. Should I cut these off? Will anymore blooms develop if I do?

Also, I have a purple mallow plant (Malva sylvestris 'Mystic Merlin') that was beautiful in the early summer, but now it is this nasty tall straggly brown thing. What should I do to help this plant?

Thanks for any advice on taking care of these perennials!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deadheading bee balm & mallow

I'd like to hear to about what others do with their bee balm too. I had read on some previous posts that it can be cut back so I did. There's a few new blooms and leaves. It definitely looks better.

I also cut back my lemon balm and catmint since they were taking over. Catmint is reblooming and the lemon balm is just about as big as it was before.

o

I can't say for sure about the mallow, but most books I've read on the subject say Bee Balm benefits from being cut back after blooming. You can deadhead to the next buds that are forming. I've even read that if your Bee Balm is looking a little ratty after blooming or has powdery mildew, you can pretty much cut it to the ground, give it a good helping of compost and water well, it should re-sprout a new crown of foliage, which, even if it doesn't re-bloom, will at least look fresh for the rest of the season.

o

I grow mallow also and i cut it back every year when it gets too straggly looking and it comes back every year,and believe me we aren't kind when we cut it back.It has come up in other places other than where we originally planted it.We have a small one that came up recently in a potted plant with calla lilies and petunias.I really don't think you can kill it!!
Kathi

o

Bee balm was beautiful this year! After it was done blooming, though, the foliage was pretty bad. Powdery mildew, etc. I just cut mine back nearly to the ground. So... we'll see. I'll just be happy to see it again next year if it doesn't care to make a reappearance this year. ;-)

o

Any perennial can be cut back pretty severely after blooming. Some will bloom again and other won't but they will send out new clean foliage. I just use my hand hedge shears. I just did shasta daisies, rudbeckia and mondarda. The shastas had already sent up new bushy leaves from the base before I got them pruned.

o

Great, ok, I'll cut them back. Thanks all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here