Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Anyone grow lisianthus?

mary_lu_gw
12 years ago

I was in a nursery the other day and saw a plant labeled Lisianthus Mariachi Blue. It was gorgeous! Deep purplish blue flowers that almost looked like a rose. I am guessing that in my zone it would be considered an annual. I am wondering how hard it would be to grow?

When I did a search on the name I came a cross quite a few varieties/colors. Would like some input from anyone who grows this plant and how difficult it might be to grow. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I don't grow it now,but i have in the past and they were gorgeous,came in several colors if memory serves me correctly.I don't remember having any problems with them either,then again our weather here in S.calif is totally different than yours.I'd say give it a try!!
    Kathi

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I bought some Lisianthus seeds (cinderella yellow) from Parks this year. They are really really slow growers. From what I read some types can take up to 9 months to bloom. I hadnt read that before I purchased the seed or it would have put me off.

I sowed them them in late March, and grew them under lights until the end of May. At that point they were only about 3" tall with 2-3 leaves. Someone on another forum suggested that I grow them in pots. Since they are actually perennials it makes sense, so I potted them up, 3 each in 6" clay pots.

They are starting to make bloom heads now. Mine are smaller than expected, which works well for the pots. THe info said 18-22", 10 inch wide. Mine are 12-15 and not wide at all. I did pinch them back once, which branched them out a bit, but the are still on the spindly side. Still I think the foliage is elegant and I am looking forward to the flowers soon.

I plan to over winter them inside and see if they will come back stronger next year.

{{gwi:737677}}

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

Gorgeous plants, Mandolls. The farmer's markets here in zone 4b are loaded with people selling cut Lisianthus flowers and potted plants. They seem to be common, thus fairly easy to grow. I saw the Mariachi blue and did a double-take. I had to turn around in the crowded market to go back and get another look. Wow.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. Sorry I haven't responded sooner but I was out of town.

From the research I did it seemed that most thought it hard to grow. That is why I was wondering.

sprout, I too was absolutely astounded by the blooms. They were so beautiful.

mandolls, thank you for the picture. The ones I saw were much more compact. Please post pictures when the blooms open?

Kathi, I am thinking I am going to give them a try next year.

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Mary_lu - I'll bump this post when I get blooms. I am sure mine would have been bushier and more compact if I had pinched them earlier and moved them into full sun sooner. When I found out how long I was going to wait for blooms, they fell towards the bottom of my priority list of garden tasks.

There are a couple of threads about growing them in the Cutting Garden forum. Those folks start the seeds in January, which I may try next year.

• janroze
    12 years ago

Beautiful flowers, easy to grow. I had it planted on the west side next to my peonies with varying sizes of plants, but the morning shade didn't seem to slow it down.
    I saw a border of bi-color of deep magenta and white yesterday at a friends. Talk about a show-off. She also had a deep red that seemed much less vigorous. gramma jan

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner