Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntyara

My ditch garden up date.

auntyara
10 years ago

I've been redesigning this garden for a few years now. As you can see, it's got a long way to go.
before

after

The side I'm planting now has very bad soil. It's 3" of age mulch on top of shale. Not much grows there but weeds.
It's hard to tell the difference. lol
I put in
1 mock orange, 2 mophead hydrangea, 1 peegee hydrangea, 1 dwarf lilac, 1 dianthus, 6 red mums, 6 creeping veronicas, 6 mother of thyme, 1 clematis, 3 lavender, 2 russian sage, 1 clump liatris,(sp), and 5 or 6 clumps of assorted sedums. and a few annuals.
I like to use small plants when planting in not so great soil. 1st reason, small plants have small needs and adapt better.(IMHO). 2nd reason, if they don't make it, I wont cry too much.

:) Laura

Comments (9)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Nice choices, Laura. That is going to be so pretty when everything grows up!

We will all be looking for regular updates on progress! ;)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I can just barely make out a nice bed just in front of the house. Can we see a close up of that bed? If the new one turns out anything like the one by the house, it will be beautiful. Even from far away, the colors are very cheerful and rich.

Martha

• auntyara
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone,
    here is a picture of the garden near the house.
    I put in a row of globe arborvitaes. I planted some California poppies, sun flowers, malva, and a few other annuals to fill up the space while the shrubs grow to block out the cement wall. I also planted some tiny mophead hydrangeas, a bunch of cone flowers, and some other perennials to grow to potting size.

• louisianagal
    10 years ago

Herbs would do well in that ditch garden area. They do well with poor soil and sun.

• auntyara
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LG, I put in a few herbs, cause like you said, some herbs do great in poor, well drained soils. I'm toying with the idea of adding more culinary sage. I'm not a fan of cooking with it, but I love the flowers, and that deer wont eat it.
    thanks

• t-bird
    10 years ago

I think the herb idea was a good one...maybe creeping thyme for a ground cover, some sages. I have some weedish oregan going on - it s beautiful blooming and needs no care. Not good for culinary use - but so far keeping it for ornamental.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Your ditch garden is rocking it ! Can't wait to see the updates !

• luckygal
    10 years ago

My, you must have more energy than I do! :) However, it does give your property great curb appeal.

Have you thought of planting hardy wildflowers that usually grow well in poor soil? At least they would require less watering than some of your other choices.

• User
    10 years ago

Hi Laura,
    that is a lovely setting in front of your house,..very pretty,..i can see you will have that section near the road looking just as well,..great choice of flowers for near the house area.

Philip