Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Hurricane Prep

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

I am a newbie gardener.

I have a question about my vegetable garden. I just planted some bush beans I had started from seed. They are about 10"+ high, in raised beds in a fenced garden.

We may see a hurricane along the coast here (im about 12-15 miles from the coast). Is there anything I can or should do to protect my veggie garden?

Comments (12)

• natal
    12 years ago

Take anything that could become a projectile in your yard and move it to a shed or garage. As for the garden ... hope for the best. If I remember correctly your garden has privacy fencing on a couple sides. That might help break the wind a bit. I'll never forget Hurricane Andrew. He made a mess of our yard and veggie garden. We cleaned up for days.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Goodness, I can't believe you remembered my garden. Yes, its a wood fence on three sides and deer fenced on one side (prior owner did this, I think for the views in and out?).

Thanks for your advice, certainly makes sense.

• louisianagal
    12 years ago

I and my extended family have been thru many hurricanes. Unfortunately there is not alot you can do. This is one of those big weather events like a drought or an unusual freeze or ice storm, you are at the hands of Mother Nature. I agree with natal, follow the usual hurricane preparedness advice and secure/pick up loose objects like bird feeders, chairs, windchimes, etc. If you don't get a direct hit then you might benefit from staking your plants to some extent, maybe cheap little chicken wire fencing or peony rings around them. There is something to be said for actually removing a board from the fence every few feet (not sure exactly how I would do this) because a solid wall of fencing can often come down in a steady strong wind or gust, but when there are holes (removed slats) the wind could pass through. What I am saying is that more damage might occur if/when the whole fence came down on the garden. Excess rain and flooding might be a bigger problem. Again not much you can do about that, but perhaps don't water or improve drainage if you can, for example move objects that might block the flow of water of cause water to dam up. Even though such an event, when it damages the yard, fence, and gardens, is a very disappointing event, it is not worth it to go out in the storm to try to save a bean plant, as some of us would be wanting to do. Debris will be flying, lightening, etc. That's all I can think of for now, not really wanting to remember alot of it. I don't have to say that personal safety is the most important thing. Heed all the warnings, is the bottom line.
    Laurie (been there, done that).

• merindah
    12 years ago

Should I dismantle my greenhouse? I live in South NJ.

Thanks!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Let us know how you make out. I am praying for everyone in the path of this monster. We only have tornadoes here. Here for one minute, gone the next. I can't imagine going through hours of such a storm.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I'm in the process of carrying over 150 winter sown pots of perennials inside my garage and out of harm's way. The bird feeders, bird baths, birdhouses and wind chimes are stowed, I bungee'd a few things to the breezeway railing and set out large plastic storage bins to catch the rain that will overflow my gutters. The more those catch, the less I'll have in the cellar when it's all over.

I just read that Irene is following a path similar to the one followed by H. Diane in 1954. I remember that one--I was six years old. The devastation was terrible--roads, bridges & homes were washed away. I hope this one doesn't end up a do over.

• Annie
    12 years ago

I sent this info to some of my friends and my daughter, and posted it on my FaceBook.
    . You may already know all these things, but in case you don't or maybe just need a reminder, I thought I would post them here.

Here are a few tips I learned for hurricane preparedness when living in Louisiana:

* Fill up your sinks and bathtub(s) with water. You might need it. If not, you can always use it to water you plants or something afterward..

* Make sure you have lots of new batteries for flashlights and radios.

* Bag up some extra clothing, towels and blankets in case the wind damages your roof or windows, so you have some clean, dry towels and blankets.

* Make sure you have an emergency medical kit with any prescriptions you have, aspirin, band-aids, triple antibiotic ointment, and etc. Sanitary napkins and duct tape make good emergency bandages for big cuts or gashes.

* Unplug all unnecessary appliances to protect them against storm-surges in the power.

* Put canned food and ready-to-eat foods in plastic tubs with secure snap on lids. Have plenty of bottled water to drink. Bagged fruit. Bag up seasonings, like salt and pepper, matches and emergency candles, toilet paper, and Duct tape. Plastic drop clothes are good to keep in your emergency kit too. They come in handy.

* Include a can opener, spoons, butter knives, forks, &etc., and put them in the plastic tub. Paper or plastic plates and bowls too. (extra storage baggies, paper towels, baby wipes, and trash bags as well.) Bath soap, dish soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes and a bottle of chlorine bleach are good to have in an emergency too.

* Board up windows with plywood and screws if you can or have someone do it for you. It is worth the cost! This is so flying debris doesn't come crashing through the glass.

* Stay as far away from all the windows as you can get when it hits.

*Remember, it comes in bands, not just one big storm. So there will be a band of storm and winds, followed by a clearing, and then another band, and so on. Then the eye of the hurricane comes over and it looks so calm, you might think it is over, but don't be fooled. The back half will shortly start to cross over you, and exit your area also in bands like it came into your area.

Also, make sure you charge up your cell phones ahead of time.

Hope this helps.

Annie

- I keep thinking of more things to add :)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Thanks Annie!! Those are all good tips for weathering a hurricane.

So far...

cell phone battery charged - check!

flashlight batteries changed/charged - check

prescription meds - check

matches/candles/TP/duct tape - check

bathtub/bottles filled with water - tomorrow.

It's not supposed to get nasty here until tomorrow night so I've still got a little time to finish everthing on my to do list.

Last time this happened my kids were still in school. We whiled away the stormy hours playing Uno and Monopoly. My son reminded me this afternoon about us lobbing tennis balls at a hornet's nest under the rain gutter during a lull in the storm...and how he got stung!! The eye passed directly over us that time. It sure was strange seeing blue sky and knowing it was the middle of a hurricane.

• DYH
    12 years ago

There's going to be so much rain -- for so many hours! The hurricane won't hit North Carolina coast until tomorrow morning, but it's been raining for hours already. Some eastern counties are starting to lose power and have flooding.

I'm far enough inland that we should just get some rain and tropical winds. Power outage at the worst is expected. We're prepared... generator, gas grill to cook, MiFi for internet connection. That said, if you don't hear from me for a few days, just assume a power outage!

Stay safe everyone from NC up through the northeast!

Cameron

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again. We have a generator that kicks on when the power goes out. We only moved in a few months ago, but it has already kicked in once, seamlessly, during a t-storm. And we have well water and our own septic. We are on a large pond but the house is on a rise above it. We have moved all furniture and pots and stuff into buildings.

I just hope we dont lose too many trees, i just love every leaf! I still recall vacationing in North Captiva a few years after Charley had hit them, and it was a mess!

• natal
    12 years ago

It's so sad losing trees, but you can always replant. We have ... many times.

We put in a whole house generator too after Katrina. It makes things bearable and we're able to share power, freezer space, and laundry facilities with neighbors.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Just a reminder for those who have pets to remember to pack pet food. :) Good luck everyone! I hope it peters out quite a bit.....

Sponsored