Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Confessions of a Lame-O Gardener

Calamity_J
12 years ago

Yup, I confess, I am so lame, I have perrenials in tubs/planters all over my deck, cuz they didn't get a new bed to live in this year...well, the year isn't over yet, but I feel so lame! Sheesh! Just a flop year for all my gardening projects. I wanted to share some pics tho: Got 2 kinds of phlox blooming, orange and a variegated?(Aftermidnight has given me 3 plants that are still living on my deck...oh and orange phlox is in a tub with huchera and yellow foxglove), Momma Mia rose did good, got it in the ground. and another planter with a hollyhock in bloom, carnation that bloomed and liatris and violets blooming! Just a wierd year all the way around...even the weather?! Sheesh!

Comments (13)

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Lol. That is an awesome title! However, I totally love your plants in pots, especially the gorgeous hollyhock and your liatris combination. You have some really cool things on your deck- what is the shimmery tile in the first pic? I like the square-ish terra-cotta jug in the background, too
    :)
    Ctc

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Lol. That is an awesome title! However, I totally love your plants in pots, especially the gorgeous hollyhock and your liatris combination. You have some really cool things on your deck- what is the shimmery tile in the first pic? I like the square-ish terra-cotta jug in the background, too
    :)
    Ctc

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

.... and there will be more plants to be picked up in the fall beside the joe pye weed, another climbing rose for one, an ornamental grape if you want it, that is if we can get it dug without wrecking it. A couple of siberian iris (one I don't think you can find for sale now) and..... LOL

Annette

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

That hollyhock is gorgeous. Save the seeds, LOL!

• Annie
    12 years ago

What is that variegated Phlox? I didn't know there was one like it!
    And that Hollyhock? Wowie Kazowie!

I love it all. I don't see any reason why you should think yourself even remotely lame. Pish posh!

~Annie

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Love that glass/tile!
    I had to cram irises into every nook and cranny because I didn't get dig the new bed, so I sympathize. Next year.
    Renee

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Isn't it always next year? I love this forum! Every one of us is such a proud addict! There are many worse addictions, trust me!

Calam ~ You wanna see my deck! and I don't have near the size of deck you have! I have pots of daylilies and irises all over the yard. Then there is the liatris, lilac, dogwood, and asiatics that have been overwintering in pots for about 3 years now! If this was a Lame Gardener contest, I would win hands down! And I have a name to live up to! LOL So long as no one complains, don't worry! Personally, I love the look! True cottage style!

And that goes for Crackingtheconcrete too! Your pics of the 4 seasons are awesome! I love what you have done in such a small NY garden!

I so enjoy the rapore on these garden forums. Keep it up ladies.....and gentlemen..... I love it and need it! :)

Ginny Garden

12 years ago

PS I have the same Phlox growing out back. Can't remember the name off hand but will see if I can find an ID. It's beautiful!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I feel so blessed to have a Cottage Garden Forum Member so close by! So here is a few more pics of the hollyhock blooming, the volunteer glad in the walkway, the sign behind the orange phlox and last yrs pic of the deck...it is so sad looking this year...and of course the grass is fried as we are on severe water restrictions(even the water pressure is really bad!)Oh and a blooming cactus!?

12 years ago

That is such a cute sign! My many dogs don't use their inside voices very well so neither do I most of the time! Your deck looks fabulous! Oh I so miss my glads! Something I ususally plant a lot of. I came across a quote I thought appropriate for my life at this time. Perhaps others can relate. My life situation is such a mess right now and so is my garden. Oh well, this too shall pass.

Gardens are a form of autobiography. ~Sydney Eddison

12 years ago

Wow, You've got a lot more color then I have and sooooo very pretty. We finally cleaned out the goldfish pool yesterday and covered it over to catch all the falling leaves for the next few months. Now just have to get the tree service in for an estiment to take down that ugly old cherry tree up by the koi pool. Hopefully next year the garden will look like it's old self again. I'm loving the job my weed torch is doing on the gravel paths. Fingers crossed for a nice fall, so much more to do.

Annette

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Oh Jane, not lame at all! Thanks for showing your lovely container plants and deck. Your deck reminds me of when I was working away from home and rented a house with a large deck. Couldn't garden in the yard as the landlady had roses she had someone else tend but I had 2 dozen containers with roses, lavender, and many other plants. Made for a very enjoyable garden as there were no weeds and only pretty blooms.

This year I still have potted plants that need to be put in the ground. They are doing well in the pots so I've ignored them but must get them done soon.

Honalee, I like your quote "Gardens are a form of autobiography. ~Sydney Eddison". I'm also in a "this too shall pass" place in my life!

Annette, are you using a propane torch for your weeds on the gravel paths? I must do that on my patio and driveway as I can't seem to keep ahead of those weeds.

12 years ago

Lucky Gal, I had a couple of weed torches over the years, Lee Valley has one version but I use the one you just have to screw a propane bottle on the end and away you go. The last one I bought at Canadian Tire, much cheaper. I've even used it in the lawn on dandelions and such and.... other spots :) our city has a ban on pesticides. I always have the hose ready and soak the areas I've burnt just to be on the safe side.

Annette

Sponsored