Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

What colors do you repeat over and Over in your Gardens?

organic_kitten
13 years ago

For some reason, while I use many colors, I find certain tones repeated over and over again:

Zinnias and salvia:

Phlox:

Rose:

Even the vinca (seen behind Linda Beck daylily:

I do have many other colors, including white;

Rose of Sharon(this is tough - it's been cut down repeatedly)

and even a (very) few gardenias in August:

Admittedly this Purplish pink color is not soothing, but I love it and it is all through my garden in many different plants. I loves pinks and purples. What color or colors do you use through out your garden? Or do you have any special favorites?

kay

Comments (11)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Kay- Very nice color combinations. You have a beautiful garden :)

All my gardens have purple, lavender and white and most have light pink. I like to add some blue and yellow in most areas and even orange and red in the kitchen garden.

Most of my roses are pink or white, so the lavenders and purples go very well with them. One combination I love is purple butterfly bushes with pink/lavender coneflowers. The bees love them, too!

My favorite 'new' combination from this year is in each corner of the kitchen garden (sorry, no pictures, yet). I have a John Cabot rose (dark pink/red) with a purple butterfly bush on each side and catmint in front of the rose. It's a nice combination and I also like the snow pavement roses (white with lavender tones) with the purple clematis. I've got to go out and take more close-ups of the flowers! LOL

Good thread :)

• finchelover
    13 years ago

mine are pink,purple,red and white. Lately I fell in love with the Salmon colored roses.

• token28001
    13 years ago

Purple and yellow. Blooms fade in and out especially in a hot summer. Beneath the perilla are dead plants. This fall and next spring, I'll be replacing things from other spots in the yard and wintersowing. I'm really looking forward to making this garden very hands off.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Before I pulled out all those ugly orange Cosmos, lol, now I'm left with mostly pink. Not by choice though. When I shop locally it seems they only have pink in everything.

Next year I'll be seeding a lot of white to compliment the pink.

I do have a few large patches of blue Salvia which are nice. But it doesn't compliment the pink.

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

Pink,Purple,and grey.
    Kathi

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Pink, blue and white. Love those colors together. And although I didn't aim for and don't really have a cottage garden, those colors are very popular in cottage gardening. I also try to mix in some silver foliage - looks great with the pink/blue/white.

tina

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Oakleyok- What about yellow with the white and pink? That's a pretty combination :)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Screaming orange, yellow, hot red-violet, and saturated orchid. And white, so that people don't go blind when they visit.

Renee

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I like pastels. Pink is the most prominent this year. I never use oranges, golds, or reds. I just jerked up a volunteer hibiscus that turned out to be the red Texas Star. I do think hot colors have a place in certain gardens.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Spring - Green, blue, yellow, white
    Summer - Green, pink, purple, mauve, burgundy, lilac, white
    Autumn - As for summer
    Winter - Green and any other colour I can get!

My garden is microscopic so I have to restrict the palette. I think if you are going to do bright garish colours you have to do them boldly and within a suitable palette, not as random splotches. Also it depends a lot on your climate. Under grey skies and drizzle luminous salmon and shocking pink just look sad to me. Under bright sunshine they can look terrific.

Currently the summer palette is being disrupted by a clump of magnificant yellow sun flowers which seeded themselves under the bird feeder. I don't have the heart to pull them and they'll provide winter entertainment from the birds when the seed ripens.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Purple, Pink, White, with a touch of pale Yellow. No Reds, no Oranges.

I have one penstemon that is orange, but I enjoy it so much I can't bring myself to pull it. Fortunately, only purples are in bloom at the same time and it's finished by the time the pinks start. Except in the fall, when the pumpkin chrysanthemums chime in.

Sponsored