Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

For Rita: Garden pics from June 2011

Annie
12 years ago

Everyone is welcome to look as well. :)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2219422206552.2135200.1277573260&l=331d752860&type=1

The year-long drought and 2011 extreme heat were just beginning to go to "extreme mode" when I took these.

I was watering everyday, but the temps weren't as yet in the furnace mode.

Not too shabby.

~Annie

Comments (12)

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooops! Need to post it below on the link spot.
    Trying again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Summer Country Garden June 2011

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I agree, 2010 was a good year for me too. Thanks for reposting the pics.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are from this year - June 2011.
    But, yeah, last year was much better in some respects.

Thanks for looking!

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

Love the lush look of your gardens despite the heat and dryness.

Those double decker echinaceas are NICE! So hard to tell from a pic in a catalog how they'd look in the garden, but from your pic they look like real winners.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I think I need my eyes checked. Sorry - I swore it said 2010.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No need to say that, schoolhouse.
    Golly gee bum!

After you wrote that, I wasn't sure I posted the right link myself, so went back and checked it. No problemo, mi amiga!
    I am constantly still writing 2010 on my checks. I have to say to myself, "Get a grip, woman! It's 2011 for cripe sakes!"
    ~Annie

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I'm sneaking on here to look ;)
    I love those Fannick Phlox super much!!! And your ivy-covered house and pretty paths. Thanks for sharing - so lovely!:)
    I laugh whenever I see trumpet vines, because I always drove my mother nuts, giving in to temptation to pop the little orange buds like balloons. They were so fun!

• tressa
    12 years ago

Annie, I love to look at your gardens - and it is great to be able to put a face to your name! I want to know who keeps that vine trimmed on your cottage. I love to see vines covering a house but my DH would just hate it. It so reminds me of my home as a child. We had an ornamental fig that had attached itself to the entire brick house. I have fond memories of my mother saying to my dad "Bob, it's time to trim the house"!! I just love that look - it is so enchanting....

Tressa

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tressa,
    My husband trims the "Verge" on the house. He seems to like doing it. He loves the ivy on the house - reminiscent of his grandfather's cottage in Scotland. :)

It does get carried away and grows over the windows and anything else too. Shades our bedroom in the summer though. We like it on the house, not only for the way it looks, but also because it helps keep our house cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

Thanks for asking!
    ~Annie

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Hey, I just came on here today and saw this post. I have to say WOW, WOW, WOW. What a beautiful garden. It just looks so green and inviting. I love the full look and the way the path draws you to want to go explore. And so many plants, I love the fact that so much grows there. I can never manage the mixed garden look myself. I love your garden. You really have done a fabulous job.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much Rita.
    By the 4th of July, the triple digit heat was on, and all those pretty flowers and green grasses went to hell in a handbasket. I am so frustrated, because after having two weeks of descent Oklahoma temps and rain, the temps are back up into the triple digits. It's 109 out there right now! I'm having to water all day long again. So many flowers were beginning to bloom again and new leaves popping out on plants. And now the heat is back. I got sick to my stomach and had to come inside.
    Glad I took all those photos while the garden was half-way descent. I lost so many plants last winter to the extreme cold and drought combination. And then to go through all this too.
    I was planning on driving over to Perkins to the Spider Dome (a Hippie bar out in the sticks) and getting some of their sandy-loam and oak leaves that the owner, Bill, bulldozes up into piles every week. It's really good stuff. He;s glad for me to get it. Holds moisture, as crazy as that might sound. I may try to go early in the mornings. I sure need it, especially now.

Thanks for taking the time to look.
    ~Annie

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

With temps and weather like yours it is a good thing that you have gotten interested in daylilies. Not all daylilies are super hardy but many are. Once they get established they cope with the worst of mother nature.

Sponsored