Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Friday blooms

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

Snapped several pics today.

Sorbet Phlox behind some "Magic Lilies":

{{gwi:738797}}

The Corkscrew Vine finally got going towards the middle of July and now the tendrils are reaching out and twining before my very eyes it seems:

{{gwi:738799}}

Some of the purple blooms of the Corkscrew Vine:

{{gwi:738801}}

Comments (11)

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

Very pretty!

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pics.

I have never seen a corkscrew vine. Are thet easy to grow?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is my first Corkscrew Vine. I planted three small plants in late May, and they were slow to take off. Realized after awhile that it doesn't seem to like too much water, and when the temps rose and it was so hot those days it seemed to relish in the heat. I didn't bother to water them. Blooms didn't really begin until late July, now there are quite a few with new buds appearing once a week or so. No fragrance.
    Didn't fertilize and I planted them in ordinary soil, no amendments.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Very pretty! I had a corkscrew vine one year from Jackson and Perkins and really loved it, but didn't get as snaily looking as I'd thought they'd might. :)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Pretty blooms, Schoolhouse.
    kay

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Very pretty, I'm a little green eyed though, second year for my corkscrew vine no flowers yet:(.

Annette

• DYH
    12 years ago

I don't know corkscrew vine either. Like the blooms! Your phlox and lilies are so pretty together.

Cameron

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Love those mauve/lavender colors! TFS

• Annie
    12 years ago

So pretty!

Magic Lilies - they are called Naked Ladies here. Mine have been blooming - staggered. Some bloomed in late July and some in early August and a few days ago some others. Not sure why they did that, but it is nice. They last longer. They are great as cut flowers. The chickens broke some off, so I brought them in and put them in a vase. They last and last and they go ahead and make seeds.
    I love those lilac colors. Nice cool colors on hot days = perfect!

• gardenwitchery
    12 years ago

The corkscrew vine is also known as a Snail creeper, Vigna caracalla. Over here, it dies down completely in winter and re-shoots in spring and grows about 15 feet. It smells beautiful. Mine has been in a large pot for about 5 years now. It gets a very hard shiny black seed pod and apparently you can expect 85% germination success. Beautiful photos!

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I have been missing from here for a long time. I started a Blog and I seem to spend way to much time there!

I have missed this forum.

I had to comment about the caracalla vine. I grew it a few years ago and it smelled wonderful. The bloom was a mix of yellow and lavender and was very corkscrew. It never set seed and the seed then was hard to find so I didn't grow it again. I may try it again next year. It is not hardy for me.

I am enjoying re-visiting old gardening friends here.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath