Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Rose Campion and Cypress Vine, with a pic

Nell Jean
15 years ago

Note to Faye:

At bottom left is Rose Campion just under the 3 red caladium leaves. It has really good drainage.

They bloom here from the end of April through most of June. Deadheading helps.

Somebody wanted to see the Cypress Vine when it bloomed.

Like a morning glory, to which family it belongs, each blossom lasts only one day.

Nell

Comments (8)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

What a pretty little scenario!! Is the grey in the centre rock?

Nancy.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is a big rock, Nancy, with lichens and fern and moss. I'm very fond of ancient stones.

Here are clickable thumbnails that connect to large photos of the rock and its companions, from late April and June, before I made the wattle trellis.

Rose Campion in bloom, April 28

Late June

Nell

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Nell, Ohhhhhhhhh just love that Cypress Vine.

The bad news: I planted two seed packets of Cypress Vine and only had 1 transplant from the bunch that I could put in the ground. I carefully planted it at the base of my arbor. Within 2 days a stinking rabbit had eaten the tiny plant.

The good news: I had also started seeds of Amaranthus and put the few that were viable out in the corner of a bed. Guess what?? I discovered a Cypress Vine growing up one of the Amaranthus plants. I've since moved the vine and the amaranthus to the base of my arbor. Both plants appear to be doing well, except something is eating the amaranthus leaves.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you if I should expect blooms on the Cypress Vine this year? Yours looks so pretty!!
    Vikki

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You should see blossoms in about 5 weeks or so, Vikki.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

How do you go about dead heading the rose campion? Do you do it individually or use clippers. I didn't and mine are finished for the year. I had never grown them before and love them but didn't know how to maintain the plant. I sure hope they reseed for me.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deadheading individual florets is tedious. Mostly I just let them set seed.

When they're totally finished blooming, just cut the bloom stalk all the way back to the basal leaves.

The seeds are coarse, easy to save some to sprinkle about later.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice on the rose campion. While cleaning up the flower beds this morning, I saw mine so ratty looking and remembered I had asked about them!

• linda_jo
    13 years ago

Can I plant the Rose Campion Seeds right away for more plants the same year or do I have to wait until next Spring? Beautiful garden you have and I love the old stones. Thanks for posting the pics.

Sponsored