Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From the Garden to the Table, what's in your Vases?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 14:01

We picked a few flowers for the table this weekend and it was such a welcome addition that we'd like to do more of it. Would love to see more examples of flowers that are ending up on your table.

Here's ours...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From the Garden to the Table, what's in your Vases?

Prairiemoon, that is such a sweet and pretty bouquet! I love the yellows with the deep pink! The vase is very cool. Is it an old one? I don't have any pictures to share-not enough pretties to cut. I hope TM shares some of his. He makes such lovely ones, too.

Thanks for the picture. I hope we get to see lots more from everyone else. Right now my vases have only ferns and hosta leaves. Sigh.

o

Hi Cyn, thanks! :-) The vase is just a frosted pink glass square that came with an arrangement someone gave me once. It's just the right size for the table so you can see over it to everyone at the table.

I rarely cut blooms for the house either. I really like having as much blooming in the yard as possible. Ferns and hosta leaves, I always forget about that. I need to add those to the vase too. Good idea! Supermarket bunches of flowers with those hosta and fern leaves sound good too. :-)

I thought the Cottage Garden forum would be the most likely to have gardeners who fill their vases. Is it a little slow here right now?

o

I am surprised no one has posted a picture. This will keep it bumped up and maybe we will get some. I will take a pic and add it, too. It won't be nearly as pretty as yours though!

o

I just ran out and cut three Hydrangea paniculata 'tardiva' to add to this. That helped a little. :)

o

Those are both gorgeous - I am inspired to cut a bouquet tomorrow morning!!

Thanks for sharing!! Nancy.

o

Cyn, you are SO wrong! Your arrangement is prettier than mine. :-) Really lovely. I like the variegated hosta leaf in the back and what a great combination of the white vase, the lace curtain and the white Hydrangea. I've enjoyed our bouquet every time I walk past the DR table. I suppose because we so rarely do it, it's still special.

Looking forward to yours tomorrow, Nancy. :-)

o

photo cutflowers003_zps31c2294f.jpg

o

Peg, those are some huge zinnias! Very pretty and colorful! I like your pitcher. :-)

o

I'm loving my dahlias at this time of year.

Linda

o

Love the arrangements.

I'd have to crawl down the woodchuck hole to get some blooms to bring in. I'm sure he's been bringing them home to his girlfriend each evening. Their burrow must smell delightful with the scents. I DO hope they have enough vases available to hold all the flowers! LOL!

PM2, which rose is in your bouquet? That is such a nice yellow.

Cyn, I love the lush green and white. I never think to cut flowers from shrubs, or even use hosta leaves or other large leaves. I was at a local nursery for an open house a couple weekends ago and they had a gorgeous HUGE arrangement. They actually curled and stapled large hosta leaves and the grasses in their arrangement had knots tied at the ends. So simple and quite ingenious and cool looking in the arrangement.

Peg, love those vibrant colors with the white pitcher.

Linda, I'm loving your dahlias too! I've never seemed to have luck with them. Do they winter over for you?

o

Aw, thanks, prairiemoon. Very sweet of you. The vase is an old French enameled pitcher.

Peg, great colors and the teapot is a terrific idea. I am trying to think of creative ways to use various things like that rather than leaving them unused in a cupboard. I may steal your idea!

Linda, dahlias are just the most marvelous flowers. I need to plant some, but I am not sure I have enough sun anywhere plus we have very heavy clay. I love the colors you have.

Nancy, I also will be checking tomorrow to see your picture!

Thyme, your description of your woodchuck is too cute. I will go to sleep tonight with that delightful paragraph in my head. We had a woodchuck once. Adorable. I fed him Granny Smith apples. I think the nasty raccoons drove him out. :(

So glad people are sharing their pictures!

Cynthia

o

Thyme2, now that’s a funny image…lol. I think you have the makings of a children’s book there, with your woodchuck adventures. :-) That rose is Julia Child, which I can’t say enough good things about. I understand they called it that because they thought the color looked like butter and she was a very big fan of butter. Aren't we all! - - and that is truly a new idea with the arrangement to knot the grasses and how do you mean they ‘curled and stapled the hosta leaves’?

Linda, now that’s what I need to grow more of, Dahlias! Gorgeous bouquet and I think you chose a great vase to go with it. Very vibrant colors! What are the names of your dahlias and are they tall?

I would be curious to know how long everyone's flowers will last in the vase? Today is Day 5 for my little arrangement and some of the rose petals started to fall yesterday and the deep pink cosmos started to look a little old. We did use one of those florist envelopes in the water. I forgot to add, my daughter takes credit for putting the arrangement together. She had fun doing it too.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 4:13

o

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I have been growing dahlias for about 10 years and I love them. I dig up the tubers in the fall and store them in my garage which does not freeze. It's usually around 40 degrees in the garage.

The dahlias in the picture are from the top: Unknown Gold, Holly Hill Starburst, Wyoming Wedding and Wildwood Marie. Most of the dahlias that I grow are between 4 and 5 feet tall although I do have a few that are around 3 feet. They do like sun and don't do very well if they get too much shade. I have mine planted in a raised garden.

I love dahlias because they start blooming mid-july and continue until we get a hard freeze which usually is late Oct or early Nov. Most of my other perennials are done blooming and these give me something to enjoy for quite a long time.

Here are a few more of my big ones. From the top-Pennhill Watermelon, Vassio Meggos and Mango Madness. I mostly grow flowers that are 8" to 12" flowers.

Linda

o

Here is one more bouquet. This is Hot Tamale and I adore this one in the fall!

Linda

o

Swoon. Question on digging up the tubers-do you store them in peat moss or something, or just sit them out? I would dearly love to give them a try next year.

Cynthia

o

Hi Cynthia, I store mine in vermiculite. I divide the tubers in the fall and put one variety per gallon bag and store the bags in a cardboard box with the bags unsealed. I have tried peat moss in the past and found they dried out too much. You may have different results than I did though because I am sure your climate is different than mine. I have also used the saran wrap method where each tuber is individually wrapped in saran. That worked pretty well, only lost a few, but it takes more time and I am kinda lazy at that time of year. Occasionally I have stored the whole clump together in a plastic grocery bag with a little vermiculite thrown in and that also works. Then you have to divide them in the spring, which is a little harder because you can't see the eyes as well. If you dig in the fall about 10-14 days after a killing frost, you will be able to see the eyes easier and it makes dividing much easier. They need to be stored in a frost free area that is not too warm. My garage works great as it is usually between 37-40 degrees in the winter.

If you would like, I would be willing to send you some tubers next spring for postage. I always have extras and would love to share some with you. You can email me your address if you like.

Linda

o

PM2, I thought maybe that was your Julia Child but I didn't realize just how yellow it was. She did love butter, didn't she! Yummy!
My woodchuck has of course now moved on to the fall blooming plants. He seems to move very methodically through the garden eating whichever plants "should" come into bloom 3-4 weeks later. I'm quite certain if I don't catch him there won't be a single anemone bloom in the garden. It has been interesting and yet exasperating to see just what he likes as the season progresses. I wonder if he'll like the green apple and broccoli I'm going to bait the trap with today! Although no joking, I'm quite certain he's too big to fit in the trap. We've named him Summer Squash.

Linda, your dahlias are absolutely gorgeous! Do you greatly amend the soil each year in the raised bed? Or do you use a granular or liquid fertilizer during the season? What are the tricks, besides full sun to get them as beautiful and large as yours? Seeing your pictures really makes me want to try them again.

o

beautiful bouquets everyone! :)
this is mine from a quick trip out just now

o

Wow, Linda, you really have a great batch of Dahlias there! You’re lucky you’re able to over winter them. Our garage is a stand alone and it just gets too cold to do that. I have tried growing a few bulbs of the short 3ft varieties in containers a few times and use them as annuals.

Hi Thyme, Oh….I just had an idea! What IF, you used a dog crate to trap him in? You could get one large enough I would assume and try baiting that!? :-) You just have to figure out how to automatically close the door when he gets in it. You named him? Oh no, :-( now you have to write a children’s book…lol. Summer Squash? He sounds more like a Blue Hubbard!

Very pretty Grey Lady - Rudbeckia and Salvia? I like the addition of the Hosta flower and your clear sparkly vase and white doily are so cheerful!

Our little arrangement has bit the dust. Lasted a good five days looking good and went downhill from there.

o

Thanks so much for the tutorial, Linda. Goodness, what a lovely offer. I will certainly send an email. Thanks!

Cynthia

o

Thyme, I don't amend the soil every year. When I plant the tubers, I throw in a small handful of bone meal and mix it in the planting hole before placing the tuber in the hole. Dahlias don't need a lot of fertilizer and in fact too much nitrogen fertilizer will produce weak stems and tubers that don't store well. You can give them some tomato fertilizer that has low nitrogen. In my opinion the secret to growing nice big plants is lots of sun (the more the better) and lots of water. I never let the soil dry out in this garden. You should not water the tubers at all after they have been planted but once they are up and growing they like a lot of water. Mine get hit by a sprinkler system but that is not enough. In the heat of the summer, I water them every night with hose. We don't get much rain in the summer but If you get a lot of rain, then you wouldn't need to water as much. Just don't let them get dried out. The stalks are as big as broomsticks and they need a lot of water to support the plant.

Cynthia, you are welcome ;)

Linda

o

Had to come back and look at those dahlias again! Sure couldn't pick a favourite, but kind of leaning to the 'hot tamale' :)
I commented on a neighbour's beautiful yellow dahlia that came up in their yard every year and was told that they never dug it up but it came up every year because it was planted up against the foundation of the house. I received several dahlia tubers so this year I planted one against my foundation and am going to leave it there over the winter to see if it will survive. It is doing the best of all that I planted (they are all same kind....NOID tall red ones). I will dig the rest because I wouldn't want to lose all of them. I would hate to lose that one either, but I am fairly confident that it will survive since my neighbour's did. I will remember to use a handful of bone meal in each planting hole next year tropic_lover.

pm2--thank you...surprising how a few random flowers can look so pretty together. Rudbeckia lanciniata hortensia (golden glow), and I 'think' that is a blue salvia type...can't remember! :( along with Japanese anemone, daisy 'snow princess', a couple of stems of German statice and the hosta flower is from Krossa regal.
I love having a bouquet in the house, but am always sad when they die.

thyme2dig--I have a groundhog this year also! It is eating so many plants down to the bare little stubby stems! Seems to love pulmonaria, violets, balloon flowers, cosmos and purple coneflowers in my yard (so far) although I haven't seen him in about four days....I hope he got sick of me shooing him out of the yard every time I saw him, and moved away....very timid....all I had to do is say "hey" and he ran like crazy. :) So cute but so destructive!

cyn427 and peg08 I love your combos!

This post was edited by greylady-gardener on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 22:49

o

GreyLady, I have a Krossa Regal that hasn't bloomed until this year. I've been eyeing it out the kitchen window, the scapes are really tall! Yup, when they're done, it's a sad sight.

o

Greylady, I also am a fan of random blooms! Your are lovely! Should have said that earlier.

Does anyone know if plumgago blooms will last in a vase? I love them in my containers, but have never cut them.

Cynthia

o

Linda, thanks for the info on the dahlias. So it sounds like water, water and more water! I'm going to try them again and will be sure to treat them like annuals in pots with a daily watering.

I finally cut something from my garden. This is Crocosmia 'Walcroy'. I couldn't decide what to put with it so I opted for a narrow vase and just those blooms.

o

thyme2dig, that is just perfect with the leaves and the blossoms of the crocosmia. Looks nice in your pretty vase.

o

Very pretty Thyme and I think the blue foot of the vase is perfect w the color of the flowers. I like arrangements with one variety of flower too. Like a whole vase of lilacs or roses.

So I take it Mr Summer Squash doesn't like Crocosmia? I haven't tried growing those yet. I guess they're hardy then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here