Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

Argiope Aurantia (aka Yellow Garden Spider)

ogrose_tx
12 years ago

or at least that's what the internet is saying after looking up "large yellow spider with stripes", it's got a huge web draped over my Climbing Pinkie rose, big long ugly legs. Never seen one before, supposed to be non-poisonous and very beneficial in the garden.

Glad she's beneficial, but will give this big girl a wide berth!

Comments (14)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

You mean the one that is black and yellow? This is interesting because I always have several of these in my garden, this year - not one. Unless it's too early for Ohio, but it seems not. I agree, scary. I weed very gingerly around her.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

Does it make a "script" in its web?

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it's black and yellow, and it does have the "script" in its web, so I think that's what it must be.

My brother lives in New Mexico "at the end of the ditch" right next to the border. When it rains, tons of tarantulas come out, he says they're gorgeous. And he wants me to come visit? I don't think so!

• Annie
    12 years ago

They are VERY beneficial to your garden and yard in general. They eat a lot of flies and mosquitoes, moths and etc. I always call mine, "Charlotte". Beautiful spiders. Not aggressive to humans in my experience. I love them.
    Love that little lightening shaped zigzag "script'. Looks like a zipper. :)
    I toss mine bugs and they love it. They are very attentive mothers. Like Charlotte, they will die taking care of their egg, their offspring never knowing their mother who sacrificed for them. :(

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sweetannie, thanks for that post. I've made myself go out a number of times today to just take a look and think I may just get used to her. Got to admit I was horrified at first, but it's time to get over this phobia of spiders. (little spiders are okay, it's the BIG ones that creep me out...). The web is well built, amazingly organized and interesting for sure and as long as she doesn't jump out and bite me I think I'll be okay!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I had two that built? egg sacks. I never saw them hatch. I think maybe the hard freezes might have killed them. One sack is still on the shrub.
    I usually have several around, but also, none this year.
    I have always enjoyed watching them.
    If I remember correctly they eat their web every night and rebuild it the same night.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'WRITTING

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed that article, Plantmaven, very interesting, thank you, what an interesting spider!

It's weird that you and schoolhouse haven't had any this year; I've never had them before that I know of.

Now that you all have me getting interested, perhaps I'll just become a spider addict in my old age. I called the two young kids from next door to come take a look; Bella, 7, absolutely loves bugs and such, she had never seen one before, neither one of them read "Charlotte's Web", but I'll bet Bella does now!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

ewes welcome :)

• bouquet
    12 years ago

Ewwww - I found this Jewel Spider in my garden last year

• brpinson
    12 years ago

I have seen at least 3 of them in last week around my deck..I feel likes it's early for them to be showing up. Loved the article...interesting, literary, and witty...made me go out and look at the ones around the deck with a new viewpoint! Can't decide if my husband will find the male spider's fate appalling or amusing...

• Annie
    12 years ago

I have seen the baby spiders hatch out and fly off into the great big world. In spring, one a warm sunny day when their is a nice breeze blowing, if you are lucky, you can see them hatch out all at once. There are hundreds, if not thousands of t-tintsy spiders, hardly more than a speck of dust to the naked eye. They shoot out thousands of silken threads and ride off on them in the wind. Birds and frogs gobble them up, but some live and grow and the next year, in late summer you will see them again in your garden - giants by comparison.
    ogrose,
    I have quite literally, but certainly by accident, stuck my head into their webs while gardening many times. The spider just scoots over and waits for me to exit. Never had one become aggressive with me. My children used to love them, giving them names. They were greatly influenced by Charlotte's Web. I always taught them to be curious about Nature, but cautious. Look but don't touch. Study it, observe and learn from other creatures. Of course, they often DID touch. :)

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm finding she's becoming part of the garden, am quite enjoying going out to check on her every day, she's still there doing her thing. It will be interesting to keep up with what she's doing...

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

I found this crab spider on a yellow lily and was smitten. Can you believe how pretty it is? Two weeks ago I saw a crab spider with the exact same markings on a white zinnia, except this time it had a white body with an azalea pink stripe. It was gorgeous! Hope to see it again and snap a picture.

The crab spider's camouflage certainly works well because it snagged a pretty butterfly while it was on that lily. I would rather have seen it catch something like a Japanese Beetle, to be honest.

• ginnier
    12 years ago

We used to have the black and yellow garden spiders in our veggie garden too. Our kids were intrigued. If you find a web that is 12 inches or so, try this. Get a stick or long stemmed piece of grass and prod her very gently...just barely touch her. She will start rockin' that web like a wild woman!!! It's interesting...maybe that's how she gets an insect to get stuck to her web!!!!

Sponsored