Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Agastache favorites?

natal
13 years ago

On the "one plant that has really WOW'd" thread Cameron mentioned a couple agastaches. Made me realize it was time to update my new additions for 2011 list to include a few. I'll probably place an order with Lazy S's Farm late winter so I'm starting to fill my wish list now.

I'd love to know your favorites!

Comments (19)

• scottyboipdx
    13 years ago

Hmmm...that's a tough one...I have a few that are recently planted, so won't really know how they do until next year. For this year, though, I'd have to say I'm loving Golden Jubilee, Summer Sky and plain-old Rupestris, great, great plants!

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

This is a great thread idea. I have never grown them, always wanted to, more ideas, please!

• neverenoughflowers
    13 years ago

This is my first year with Agastache Pink Pop which I wintersowed. It has a lovely fragrance and the flowers have been in bloom for over a month. They are about 24" high and don't seem to be bothered by any pests. The butterflies seem to like them.

I really hope to grow more varieties next year if I can find the room.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

My favorite one so far is Agastache Sunset Hyssop. It's prettier than
    Tutti Frutti.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Can you take cuttings of Agastache, or do you collect seed, or divide?

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

I had read somewhere that Blue Fortune was one of the few that could survive east coast winters, so that's the one I bought. I can't say I'm overly impressed with the color (it looks sort of grayish in my garden most of the time), but it attracts so many butterflies and bees that I guess I'll be keeping it if it makes it through the winter. I was also impressed that it was able to right itself fairly well after being flattened by a pounding rain. So many of my plants are sprawled on the ground this year.

Totally Confused

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've only seen two of you mention ones I've put on my wish list ... Blue Fortune and Heather Queen. I'll have to go back and look at the others.

Anyone have these?

Honey Bee Blue, Red Fortune, Globetrotter, or Raspberry Summer?

• DYH
    13 years ago

I have Raspberry Summer (gorgeous) and Red Fortune (too skinny). First year for Raspberry, so I can't say how it will overwinter yet, but it seems robust.

Blue Fortune held its color better this year -- but, it's the first time that I've given it supplemental water! It can take deadheading for repeat blooms. It is absolutely a butterfly favor.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Blue Fortune looks just like my Anise Hyssop. The bee's love it.
    I don't deadhead mine because the finches eat the seeds.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I like Apricot Sprite and the Blue Fortune - right now I have single plants but next year I plan to do a drift of each of them - finches love the Blue Fortune and hummingbirds love the Apricot Sprite - bees love both - it is a good species with a lot of varieties to play with .....

Lynne

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Just checked out your blog Cameron, very nice and beautiful pictures.
    Where did you get your plants or seeds for Heatwave? I would like to
    grow that one next year.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

That's a very pretty 'Blue Fortune' too, roper. :-) I have Honey Bee Blue and although I love the root beer fragrance, I like the look of yours better. I'm going to have to try adding that.

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be saving this thread.

Cameron and Roper, how many plants are in your pics?

• DYH
    13 years ago

I bought Heatwave at Southern States garden center in Carrboro as a plant.

There are six different varieties of agastache in my photo. I usually plant 3 of each, but do mix singles for foliage variation.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Thanks Cameron. Natal, I think it's only 1 plant. I can see if I can
    get some of the seeds for you, if you want. It is very easy to grow
    from seed.

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roper, thanks for the offer. Check your email.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Cameron I just LOVE that photo of all your agastaches growing together, so airy and colorful!

I need to research which ones are hardy to z5. Based on your enthusiastic praise, I got cana to add to Blue Fortune. Both do really well here in z5. So much so I want to find some more.

• natal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I stopped at Lowe's today not expecting to find anything on my list. The garden yard was pretty much empty. Surprisingly I did find the Purple Diamond lorapetulum I wanted and as I was getting ready to leave I passed a table with a couple dozen Heatwave agastache. I only picked up two, because I couldn't remember if that was one mentioned on this thread, lol. I'm going back in the morning for more. They were only $1 each. I don't know if that was a mistake, but I didn't say a word.

Roper, I'd be more than happy to send you seeds.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!