Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agastache favorites?

Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 14:14

On the "one plant that has really WOW'd" thread Cameron mentioned a couple agastaches. Made me realize it was time to update my new additions for 2011 list to include a few. I'll probably place an order with Lazy S's Farm late winter so I'm starting to fill my wish list now.

I'd love to know your favorites!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agastache favorites?

Hmmm...that's a tough one...I have a few that are recently planted, so won't really know how they do until next year. For this year, though, I'd have to say I'm loving Golden Jubilee, Summer Sky and plain-old Rupestris, great, great plants!

o

This is a great thread idea. I have never grown them, always wanted to, more ideas, please!

o

This is my first year with Agastache Pink Pop which I wintersowed. It has a lovely fragrance and the flowers have been in bloom for over a month. They are about 24" high and don't seem to be bothered by any pests. The butterflies seem to like them.

I really hope to grow more varieties next year if I can find the room.

o

My favorite one so far is Agastache Sunset Hyssop. It's prettier than
Tutti Frutti.

o

Natal - in my zone 7b garden...

longest blooming 'Cotton Candy'
best show in midsummer is 'Salmon & Pink'
best purple is 'Black Adder'
most intense pink is 'Heatwave'

I love so many, it's difficult to pick just one!

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Agastache for August Blooms

o

Can you take cuttings of Agastache, or do you collect seed, or divide?

o

I had read somewhere that Blue Fortune was one of the few that could survive east coast winters, so that's the one I bought. I can't say I'm overly impressed with the color (it looks sort of grayish in my garden most of the time), but it attracts so many butterflies and bees that I guess I'll be keeping it if it makes it through the winter. I was also impressed that it was able to right itself fairly well after being flattened by a pounding rain. So many of my plants are sprawled on the ground this year.

Totally Confused

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 14:18

I've only seen two of you mention ones I've put on my wish list ... Blue Fortune and Heather Queen. I'll have to go back and look at the others.

Anyone have these?

Honey Bee Blue, Red Fortune, Globetrotter, or Raspberry Summer?

o

I have Raspberry Summer (gorgeous) and Red Fortune (too skinny). First year for Raspberry, so I can't say how it will overwinter yet, but it seems robust.

Blue Fortune held its color better this year -- but, it's the first time that I've given it supplemental water! It can take deadheading for repeat blooms. It is absolutely a butterfly favor.

o

Blue Fortune looks just like my Anise Hyssop. The bee's love it.
I don't deadhead mine because the finches eat the seeds.
Photobucket

o

I like Apricot Sprite and the Blue Fortune - right now I have single plants but next year I plan to do a drift of each of them - finches love the Blue Fortune and hummingbirds love the Apricot Sprite - bees love both - it is a good species with a lot of varieties to play with .....

Lynne

o
RE: Favorites

Just checked out your blog Cameron, very nice and beautiful pictures.
Where did you get your plants or seeds for Heatwave? I would like to
grow that one next year.

o

That's a very pretty 'Blue Fortune' too, roper. :-) I have Honey Bee Blue and although I love the root beer fragrance, I like the look of yours better. I'm going to have to try adding that.

o

Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 17:09

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be saving this thread.

Cameron and Roper, how many plants are in your pics?

o

I bought Heatwave at Southern States garden center in Carrboro as a plant.

There are six different varieties of agastache in my photo. I usually plant 3 of each, but do mix singles for foliage variation.

o

Thanks Cameron. Natal, I think it's only 1 plant. I can see if I can
get some of the seeds for you, if you want. It is very easy to grow
from seed.

o

Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 13:33

Roper, thanks for the offer. Check your email.

o

Cameron I just LOVE that photo of all your agastaches growing together, so airy and colorful!

I need to research which ones are hardy to z5. Based on your enthusiastic praise, I got cana to add to Blue Fortune. Both do really well here in z5. So much so I want to find some more.

o

Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 20:34

I stopped at Lowe's today not expecting to find anything on my list. The garden yard was pretty much empty. Surprisingly I did find the Purple Diamond lorapetulum I wanted and as I was getting ready to leave I passed a table with a couple dozen Heatwave agastache. I only picked up two, because I couldn't remember if that was one mentioned on this thread, lol. I'm going back in the morning for more. They were only $1 each. I don't know if that was a mistake, but I didn't say a word.

Roper, I'd be more than happy to send you seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here