Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

replacing old wisteria with 3-time blooming var?

aimeekitty
13 years ago

Hey folks...

so, this past January when I started my yard from scratch, I didn't know that much. The landscapers put in about 4-5 decent sized wisterias along one of my walls. I love wisteria.

buuut... now I find out that there's a wisteria that blooms 3 times a year. (Wisteria macrostachya Blue Moon). It makes me tempted to pull out the "normal" wisteria planted this January.

but... I feel like it's somehow wasteful to pull out those plants.

What should I do? What have you done?

Comments (9)

• ianna
    13 years ago

why not add the new wisteria to your grouping of old wisteria. A combination may not be too bad. i suppose the developers put in plants that will bloom sooner than 10 years.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

I dont know what kinda building you have this on...but the wild wisteria is truely a monster and if you switch to blue moon it may be easier to control. Also , i always think its not a waste if something else would make you happier! Id rather see something bloom 3 times than one myself. Good luck!

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it's a fence wall basically, a big stone wall, but it's not attached to any building.

But, even so,... maybe easier to control would be a good thing.
    One of my other reservations was that I heard various other varieties don't smell as strongly as the normal wisteria...? but perhaps they still smell nice enough and the less vigorous quality + repeat bloom would make up the difference?

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Native wisterias don't really smell much at all, but they are not invasive and do not become pests. Here you need HUGE thick trellising for Asian species of wisteria, they bloom, and create seeds scattered by birds, they spread quickly on runners and head into neighboring yards. Not very friendly! I know some folks who have them and they are so frustrated with the upkeep, constant pruning, mowing or removal of runners etc. It's like bamboo, or Kudzu because of the fast growth!!

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

girlgroupgirl is so correct.

Asian wisteria is beautiful and smells so good. But
    after being a slave to an one for nearly 10 years, I am trying to get rid of it (and several other types of demanding plants).

I plan on enjoying wisterias in other people's yards and trees. If you really must have one get the lesser aggresive type.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks you guys. I think I'll remove the ones I have then and just "suck it up". The wall is about 40 feet long. Most estimates say that Blue Moon will get up to about 25 feet in a few years...

so can I really get away with just getting two Blue Moon? Or would it be nice to get 3 so that they fill in a bit faster?

I'm going to remove one of my other wisteria, too, and just replace it with one of my roses that I was looking for a spot for. It sounds like it's too dangerous to keep the wisteria on the wall with other roses... that they might get eaten.
    But they'd be ok on a wall by themselves I imagine, especially if I get the Blue Moon variety instead.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ps, should I go ahead and remove them NOW so that their roots don't get further established even though I probably shouldn't plant their replacements until the spring, right? Most sites say to plant wisteria in the spring.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

ive smelled blue moon in a nursery and it still smells wonderful!

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks lilyfinch!

The nursery said I can plant in fall, so I guess I'll pull them out now and replant soon.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville