Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trovesoftrilliums

Planning for continuous color

trovesoftrilliums
12 years ago

I'd love to hear people's suggestions on planning for continuous blooms in their gardens. I find I need to plan the succession of blooms better as I end up with a lot of gaps after a group of plants has finished up. This happened with my spring bulbs, foxgloves, annual larkspur and biennial campanula -- these all did great, but when the finished up as the heat hit, I had big gaps in the garden. I filled in with annuals, but for a while it was pretty grim. Now my daylilies and lilies are done and I need things to take over.

SOme things I plan to do next year:

Plant siberian bugloss and forget-me-nots over spring bulbs.

Interplant anemone sylvestris with foxgloves--hopefully the anemone foliage will fill in the gap left by the foxgloves. Also, interplant the foxgloves with woodland plants.

Start up warm weather annuals from seed BEFORE I need them in the garden so I can transplant larger plants instead of waiting for them to germinate after I've taken out the larkspur, campanula & sweet williams.

Interplant more late bloomers such as asters to take over when the early bloomers begin to decline.

Work on better placement making groups of plants with similar bloom time so the focus can shift throughout the season.

Use more shrubs and greenery to carry the garden throughout the season.

Christopher Lloyd has a great book on successive planting, but boy, he sure does allocate a lot of time and effort into achieving a flawless appearance throughout the seasons. No greenhouses or garden work force here, just me and my deck. :D

So what do you all do for color throughout the season?

Comments (7)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I've been working toward that goal for a few years and am slowly, gradually seeing more color every month and fewer weeks of just foliage. This year I added a new chapter to the garden notes I keep--I'm tracking what's in bloom on a week-by-week basis so I can look back and see where I've got gaps. I'm actually doing better than I thought! I started tracking the things in bloom the last week of May so I won't have a full year picture until next spring.

One thing over which we have no control is the weather and I expect things bloom at slightly different times every year if there's an early warm spell or a late cold/rainy spell.

Last year I added toad lily in my shade bed and it bloomed right up into October, right beside the black snakeroot. It was great having something in bloom that late in the season.

{{gwi:635734}}

{{gwi:635735}}

{{gwi:635736}}

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

I did that by buying whatever was blooming every month in the nurseries. It has worked pretty well over the years.

• irene_dsc
    12 years ago

I've been gradually working on this, and in some ways, it is easier as the garden gets bigger. So, even if one section doesn't have anything in bloom, another section does. One thing I haven't managed to keep up with is cutting things back as they are done blooming, to keep it looking too shaggy and forlorn. ;) But, in general, I try to group 2-3 things that bloom at the same time in the same area, and then something else that blooms later in between in that area, so each area gets a couple bloom times. Sometimes it works better than other times, of course! One thing that worked well was planting bulbs between some of my late-summer/fall blooming plants (agastache and boltonia). The tulips, alas, got munched by the deer, but the alliums (caeroleum - sp?) were perfectly visible as the agastache was still relatively small, and now that they are done, they are completely covered up.

I also try to plant things with good-looking foliage, so I don't have just a bunch of bare stems something is done blooming. Tho I do have some plants that I need to cut entirely back at some point, of course. And I'm sure Christopher Lloyd does, too - he just doesn't show those parts in his books! Every plant goes through a scraggly or awkward transition stage, pretty much.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Gardenweed,what are those pretty white flowers?? Those are gorgeous!!
    TFS
    Kathi

• Merilia
    12 years ago

I'm on my first year with my garden, but so far my strategy has been to pick flowers with a loooonnnnnngggggg bloom time. If the flowers last only a month, forget it! Here are some of the plants that have been blooming for months on end:

Lupines -- yep, still blooming, even with my halfhearted deadheading
    6 Hills Giant Nepeta
    May Night Salvia
    Roses
    Dollar Princess Fuchsia (I'm really hoping this is hardy in my microclimate!)
    Zonal Geraniums
    Snapdragon

The lupines and snapdragons are going downhill now after a whole season of continuous blooming, but I've got dahlias and hydrangeas to continue the show. If you're going for a strictly herbaceous perennial border then this approach might not work so well, but I'm sure you can still find plants that will bloom a long time and still have something closer to an actual cottage garden. I think next year I might skip the geraniums (I got them this year because I just wanted some color, fast!) but the snapdragons have been such workhorses that I plan to winter sow lots of them for next year.

I suppose I could care more about what the garden will look like come winter, but really? At my latitude in winter it's still dark when I leave for work and dark again by the time I come home, and I don't really care to be outside on weekends either when the skies are almost permanently covered with low dark clouds. I'd rather have masses of blooms all spring and summer.

• silvergirl426_gw
    12 years ago

The plant in the pic with the toad lily is black snakeroot, otherwise known as cimicifuga, aka bugbane. It's a wonderful plant for the shade. I want to post on this topic -- just don't have the time right now.

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

Merilia, the Six Hills Giant Nepeta is one of my all time favorite perennials through the years. I have found that I can cut it back when it gets to tatty looking and it will bloom again in the fall (though much shorter plant).
    Self seeding annuals are great for filling in gaps both in time and spacially in the garden. I adore the asters, black eyed susans, helenium and other plants that work so hard for us in the fall. I have also found that being real slow about cleaning up the fall garden leads to some interesting garden views, especially if you plant some roses (for hips) or other structural plants. Autumn Joy sedum I never cut back, love the way it mounds up with snow in the winter. The same with the coneflowers/B E susans and the like. I have always found the fall interest in the garden to be the most challenging all the way around. This year it is going to be particularily hard because many of my old standby's do not do well in Alaska. It is quite confusing to me having "spring bloomers" blooming in July. It looks like the main garden season here is pretty much July and August when it is a veritable explosion of blooming growth. Lot's of challenges and exciting experiments ahead for me!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting