Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trailing perennials

Posted by token28001 zone7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 14:27

I want something for the top of that wall. Below are daylilies, coreopsis moonbeam, lantana. Above are knockout roses (pink and red), salvia (blue bedder and Mystic Spires), some artemesia (maybe a groundcover variety?), grasses, and veronica speedwell. I need something that can withstand very dry soil as this slope tends to just funnel the water straight off. It gets morning sun til about 1pm. Hard packed clay that I have been working to amend with little success. Nothing invasive, please. I already have vinca major and English ivy.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trailing perennials

Oh, and I have lavender in there too.

o

How about creeping Thymes, Pinks, Veronica umbrosa 'Georgia Blue', Lithadora 'Grace Ward' and 'Heavenly Blue' there's even one with a variegated blue and white flowers. Helianthemums (Rock Roses) they come in shades of pink, yellow, white and red, don't see these used much anymore but they look nice tumbling over walls.

Annette

o

I like Annette's sugestions. I also thought of lantana or verbena.

o

I have a similar site, and dianthus works well, but so does the low groundcover variegated abelia - it's evergreen and has year round interest. Never fails me!!!

Lastly, thrift or phlox would also do you straight!

o

What a wonderful area! I truly adore walls with things cascading down them.

If you go to Seattle in the spring you will find a wonderful sight of rock walls with plants trailing over them. Often times you will see, along with trailing plants, mounding plants they put close to the edge to sort of drape down. Some things often used there are Bergenia, Rockcress, Candytuft (Iberis), Basket of Gold (Aurinia saxatilis), and Heather. Euphorbia, Saxifraga, Sedum ('Red Cauli' is beautiful), and Helianthemum (like Annette said) are beautiful too.

Unfortunantly I do not have a rock wall. Instead I resort to putting cascading plants close to the edge of my rock-lined pathway. They grow up and over the rocks and trail on the path.

My favorite is Oregano 'Kent Beauty'. It has sort of cone-like flowers that weep beautifully. I adore this plant. It isn't a weed like its culinary relative.
CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Oreganum rotundifolium 'Kent Beauty'

o

I agree with Annette - there are some fabulous thymes and creeping thymes.

Nancy.

o

girlgroupgirl, did you find the variegated abelia groundcover locally at garden centers? or did you order it or get it from a cutting?
My regular abelia (have Francis Mason, and Edward Goucher - not sure I spelled this right) do very very well. I would love to try the groundcover.
Laurie

o

I'll have to check out the abelia. But I like the idea of dianthus. Nell offered a suggestion of Bath's pink, which I don't have. I do have these, Pink Maiden dianthus.

o

I think Bath's Pink would be a great choice. They have another variety I have been wondering about for a long time called 'Itsaul White' but have never grown it myself.

Here is a link to take a look at it.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Dianthus

o

hmmm, hard packed clay... sounds familiar :0) and not so sure Dianthus is the best choice for the clay. It would look beautiful, though.

I love the idea of the evergreen, groundcover abelia - I have abelia shrubs but didn't know abelia groundcover existed. Also, abelia does so well in any type of soil (I have found).

I had creeping thyme - first year, beautful but second year, I pulled it all out - creeped into everything and some of it started turning black from too much rain (I think) It's pretty but spreads really fast!

Carrie

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 13:09

How about hardy iceplant? (Delosperma cooperi)
I just picked up a $1 plant at lowes on impulse -- the leaves are so pretty. It's for dry areas (succulent leaves).
Not quite sure where I'll put mine.

o

And, token - I will supply you with some when I see you in October - if you want to try some of that...

Carrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here