Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardwellave

Mums and asters

cardwellave
12 years ago

So last week I saw Meijer had mums with open buds at their garden center, today at a local produce market, row after row of gallon sized mums with buds opening, and across the street at Lowe's, a huge display of BEAUTIFUL asters, purples and blues, all open.

Is it me or is it too early? I confess they tempted me, but it's August 2nd! I planted some mums and asters last year, probably mid September (I remember it was much cooler than it is now). Out of the three mums I planted last year, one came back, and of two asters, one came back. I have some asters I got early this year and I have pinched them back a few times (last time around July 4th) and they are just starting to develop buds. Not a trace of a bud on the mum.

When is the ideal time to plant these guys and ideally how long should they bloom? I don't want to buy them now and have them bloomed out by the time it actually is fall! Zone 6b Detroit Mich.

Comments (7)

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I have some mums that come back every year,and i just came in from cutting them back,they were in full bloom and had been that way for a few weeks,There are lots of buds below where i cut them so i'll still get more blooms again.
    I pulled out all my aster cordofolias 2 years ago and so far they havn't come back.They just got to out of control and i couldn't get in that garden because of all the bees,so out they went.
    Kathi

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Here in Ohio in my garden the mums are nice and green and full, but no buds yet. I agree, a little early for them; but that's the way big box stores tend to merchandise anymore. As far as asters, I never could grow them beyond the first season. Either they froze out or rabbits were attracted to them like magnets in the Spring.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I had one stubbon mum that came up year after year until I shovel pruned it back in May. No matter if I pinched it or not, it always grew too tall and flopped over so I repossessed the real estate where it was growing and planted persicaria and tall garden phlox in its place. About 4 ft. away from the mum there was a perennial aster that got shovel pruned a couple years ago after growing to a staggering height of 10 inches every year and putting out less than a handful of small, barely noticeable flowers. There's stokesia growing where the aster used to be.

I simply didn't find the mum or the aster provided blooms that were worth the bother.

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    12 years ago

Mums are tuff to get thru winter here. I've got 5 0r 6 hudge clumps, there all the same variety, differant colors. I got them from my Mum, hahaha little joke there. I find some years they don't bloom till mid to late Oct. Asters are out of control. I had a short variety that crossed with a tall red again from my mum. haha. I've got 20 or so 3-5 ft all sorts of colors. They are just starting to bloom now. Peak is mid to late sept. I've always planted new mums in early june my sister gets them for me at her work. Asters I plant in the spring. It depends when I can find them..

Mark

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

Yes, it is early, but that's what the stores and greenhouses want - a longer selling season for themselves, so yes, if you get mums that are blooming now, they will be done very early - like by September. On the other hand, now is an ideal time to plant the mums in your garden because they will have a longer growing season before frost and will get their roots established better. I believe that is why most people have trouble with mums wintering over - they are planted late in the season and never get a chance to get a good root system before freezing. So, if you want mums next fall, buy them now and plant them, keeping them watered good in this hot season. Then next year, keep them trimmed back until the first week in July (mine will bloom in June if I let them). I just cut off the entire tops with pruning scissors several times. Mine are lush and green right now and forming buds, but won't be blooming for several weeks, probably.

The only asters I have are purple dome asters and they are vigorous growers also. Again, plant early in the season so roots can get established before winter. My clumps have grown so much I have sold so many starts off them - they get rather LARGE in girth. I never pinch them back, and they will bloom toward the end of August here in Ohio. They are gorgeous in large clumps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Dome Asters

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

My mums aren't blooming, have very immature buds, were pinched before mid-June. Aster was also pinched, also has immature buds, but maybe farther along than the mums. I'm on the 5/4 border.

Even though it's only in the upper 70's now, it's too hot for mums. Seeing mums in this weather would be like hearing a dog meow. Just doesn't work for me.

• DYH
    12 years ago

I kept my mums pinched back through July 4. Now, they are budding up. Have planted them with my Encore Azaleas (that repeat bloom in fall), heuchera, stachys 'Big Ears', sedum, ice plant, Persian shield. Hoping for a nice fall color blast of pink, purple and silver next to my front porch. First year for this area, but all of the mums were rooted from the mother plant, during the spring. I just stuck bits into the soil and boom-- got plants!

Cameron

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?