Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa33_gw

How much shade can tiger lilies tolerate?

lisa33
14 years ago

A neighbor with beautiful gardens dug out all of her tiger lilies and gave them to me. I have a soft spot for them, because they really remind me of summers in my childhood. I'm trying to decide where to put them. I know they can do well in damp spots, but I can't really say that there is any difference in my yard on that count.

I have lots of choices since I'm still just really getting started on my side and back yards after buying this place a year ago. I recently posted some pictures of my newly-terraced front yard and my efforts at cottage gardening ("Cottage Garden Neophyte...").

The three primary options are to plant the tiger lilies along an east-facing wooden fence that gets morning sun and afternoon shade, or along a west-facing hedge/fence that gets largely afternoon sun, but it can also be dappled in spots because of the plantings along the fence. The third choice is in a bed along the west side of the house where the would get only about 2 hours of sun, max, because of the proximity of the house next door.

My preference would be to plant them along the west-facing hedge/fence because there's nothing there of much value right now--just a hodge-podge of stuff that was intended to create privacy, and most of that is on the neighbor's side of the fence. The east-facing wooden fence is lined with what I think are Siberian lilies that did not produce a single bloom this year. Not sure if they aren't getting enough sun or if it's because they are ancient and haven't been divided in eons. I have a separate post in the lily forum about that ("Total Beginner with Questions"), but I haven't gotten a lot in the way of responses.

Thanks so much if you can help me make a choice here!

Lisa :)

Comments (2)