Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID, please?

Posted by sweetannie4u midOK_z6b/7a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 14:51

Someone sent me seeds for the dark purple Beautyberry, but this is what they turned out to look like:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Is this a White Beautyberry, or what?
I love it, but just want to know what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID, please?

This has grown into a small tree, maybe 9 ft X 5 ft.
In early summer, it has tiny pale yellow flowers. When the flowers drop off, these tiny green berries develop and grow. This picture is what they look like now and that is as big as the berries get to be. But, in late summer and early fall, the berries turn to a powder white like little pearls. Lovely.

Do you know what it is?
~Annie

o
is it a white beautyberry?

This has grown into a small tree, maybe 9 ft X 5 ft.
In early summer, it has tiny pale yellow flowers. When the flowers drop off, these tiny green berries develop and grow. This picture is what they look like now and that is as big as the berries get to be. But, in late summer and early fall, the berries turn to a powder white like little pearls. Lovely.

Do you know what it is?
~Annie

o

My purple Beautyberry begins with the same green berries, but they change to a dark lilac color later.

o
more pics

Another picture, showing other branches:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

There are about ten plants growing in the pot I sowed them in. I have never planted them out, so the roots have grown through and down into the soil.
When would be a good time to dig it up and divide it - late fall, this winter or early spring?

o

Annie, that's a beautyberry. You can divide them anytime when the weather cools down a bit.

o
White Beautyberry

Cool! I didn't know it came in white.
And I certainly didn't know the cultivar grew so big!!!
Our native Oklahoma ones are but a small bush, maybe three ft at most. The leaves look very different too.
I love it.

Glad to know I can dig and divide it. Will do if and when it ever cools down and we get some occasional rains.

Thanks GGG!
~Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here