Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Wrong color from seed packet again...

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

"buttery yellow" - yeah, right. I see fiery orange. :( Actually the bloom was suppose to be soft yellow with an orange throat, maybe I'll still get some yellow blooms before fall but darn it.

{{gwi:739998}}

{{gwi:740000}}

Comments (14)

• Annie
    12 years ago

That is so irritating!

But, it is a lovely combo. Very Victorian!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I know it's not what you had in mind but I like the orange. I think the yellow might have been hard to see or sort of non-descript against the white.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

True, the yellow may not have showed up as well but I think I'll write the seed company. Will send photo,too. I know it's only $2 and something but heck - when you plan your color scheme and this happens,grrrr. I sent an empty pack of Martha Stewart seeds back once complaining the color of the flowers were no where near as stated. I got my money back!

• DYH
    12 years ago

I hate it when that happens (like my 'Prairie Sun' rudbeckia seeds). What I hate even more is buying plants at a nursery (not in bloom) and labeled one color and they turn out.... yep. Orange, not yellow!

Cameron

• natal
    12 years ago

I love orange and purple. If you really don't like it just pick the flowers and put them in your salad.

I've grown tomatoes from seed that weren't as listed. That really ticks you off!

• cardwellave
    12 years ago

Most nasturtiums are orange or a shade of orange right?

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

Really bugs me, too. My pom-pom style English diasy seeds turned out to be normal petaled English daisies. AArghhhhh! They were Livingston seeds. Were yours a vendor or a trade? List the vendor.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pack was sold as "Strawberries and Cream" nasturtiums by Burpees. Here is a pic of what they should look like, I've grown them before with these results. The link is to another vendor's site however. I went to Burpees site and they don't have the straw/crm. listed.

Nasturtiums come in a variety of colors. I especially love the rose color, but it is hard to find now days. I used to plant that every year, it bloomed a dark rose-pink, not red.

Here is a link that might be useful: color of nasturtiums

• teakettle2
    12 years ago

I planted some hollyhocks last year=mixed colors. As they bloom in the 2nd year I waited patiently dreaming of pink and yellow blooms...they were all WHITE! Looked like wadded up kleenix. Pulled them all out. So I understand your disappointment.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Oh wow schoolhouse! No wonder you were bummed with the orange. Those strawberry & cream nasties are really gorgeous and would have looked beautiful with the salvia.

I ordered gorgeous double ruffled CA poppy seeds that have been a complete disappointment--the plants didn't grow even 3" tall and thinking they'll ever bloom this year is strictly wishful thinking. Some garden lessons we just have to learn the hard way.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update. There is now one bloom resembling the photo at the web site, looks like perhaps they bloom orange and then the edges begin to fade to yellow? Never experienced that before when I planted them in the ground.

Oh gardenweed, that's another thing that bugs me is when the height is misrepresented. The scabiosa I planted around the mailbox is much shorter than expected, but then I didn't thin the plants as much as I should have which might have made a difference.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Take pictures and show us!
    We wanna see!

• Annie
    12 years ago

I looked them up and found several images that look like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Nasturtium - Strawberries and Cream

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Here's a pic of the CA poppy I fell for from Hazzard's. Would have been a nice filler between perennials if it grew.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA Poppy Thai Silk Appleblossom Bush

Sponsored