Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cow bird

Posted by plantmaven 8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 15:48

Cow bird baby begging papa cardinal for food.
The Brown-headed Cowbird is a stocky blackbird with a fascinating approach to raising its young. Females forgo building nests and instead put all their energy into producing eggs, sometimes more than three dozen a summer. These they lay in the nests of other birds, abandoning their young to foster parents, usually at the expense of at least some of the host�s own chicks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cow bird

Surrogate parenting in the bird world!

Part of me admires the cowbird for its clever tactic, and the other part thinks it's reprehensible for shirking its parental duty.

TM

o

I think they are diabolical. The cowbird chicks are bigger and stronger than other chicks and will almost always out compete their "siblings" for food to the point they starve them. The poor adoptive parents end up caring exclusively for the cowbirds. On the other hand, how amazing that the instincts of the cowbird are so different from all other birds (that I know of) and they have no nesting behavior at all.

Martha

o

The cowbird is now larger than the cardinals and very demanding. I feel so sorry for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here