Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Please Identify - grass-like bamboo

Annie
12 years ago

Found this plant on a sunny, high & dry bank in Tennessee. Took a tiny piece and it has really really grown. It is in a large pot in the shade by the patio.

Is it some kind of bamboo, or is it some kind of grass?

2 Close-ups

~Annie

Comments (8)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Annie, one of the Panicums? Yours looks similar to Panicum clandestinum (deer tongue grass) just guessing ;).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Looks like the crabgrass in my yard!

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for trying to help me ID this plant, Annette.

I did a little research on the web and I believe I have discovered what it is - Japanese Stiltgrass. It is considered an invasive plant in 14 states and areas where it is moist. Not a problem here on this rock! I have had it two years. It is growing, but hasn't bloomed.

I need to do more research and decide whether to kill it or not. I sure hate to though. It is so pretty and my property is dry, even in a wet year. I can't see how it could spread kept growing in a pot.

Ironically, I put it in my Japanese corner garden by the patio with a little Snow lantern, 2 ceramic snails, a Mugo Pine, Snowball Bush, Nandina, and a small Japanese Red Maple. How ironic is that?

I have more reading to do on this plant.

~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Stiltgrass images and info

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was hoping it was the Native, Leersia virginica, 'White Grass', but it isn't. From what I have discovered, one of the most obvious differences between the two is a tale-tell way you can see which is which. The Japanese Stiltgrass has a silver vein down the center of each leaf; the White Grass doesn't.
    Mine has the silver vein. :(

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

Annie - I know plants grown differently in different parts of the country - here in NC it is massively invasive - it will seed out of the pot - we do everything we can to eradicate it from the landscape ... homeowners, nurseries and farmers alike. In your climate it may be more controlled but I would definitely keep an eye on it......

Lynne

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lynne, I will DEFINITELY keep an eye on it - both eyes!

Dayflowers are a major pain for gardeners here in Oklahoma. Pretty blue flowers, but even if you pull them out, you can never get all the roots, Once they go to bloom, it is hared to be rid of them. My yard is so dry though, that they aren't the problem other folks have with them in lowland areas where the soil is deep and rich and stays moist. I guess there are some good things about living up on this old dry hill, huh?
    But I will watch this grass and keep it trimmed in the pot so it doesn't start babies down in the soil. :) (And burn the trimmings!)

~Annie

• Matt Jans
    8 months ago

That looks like Japanese Stiltgrass to me. We have a bunch of it in MD. I thought the same thing...looks pretty and pillowy. But it takes over natives really quickly.

Anyone reading this know how to distinguish between this and Deertongue? I found the article below but it's not a great comparison of those two. Guess I need to keep looking at images.

https://www.pecva.org/land-conservation/managing-your-land/to-remove-invasive-species/wavyleaf-basketgrass-in-virginia/section-2-wavyleaf-or-an-imposter/

Related, does anyone know if Stiltgrass ever has little (tiny) purple/pink flowers at the tip of the stalk? We have stuff in our yard that looks like that. Similar leaf, but a little darker and stalk is thicker. Wondering if this is Deertongue (native) or somethign else. Will try to get pics.

• Jillian Tibbett
    6 months ago

Stiltgrass doesnt have pink flowers, but smartweed can have a similar appearance and does have pink/whitish flowers. We have both on our property, and the smartweed seems to flower whether mowed fairly short or allowed to grow.

Heres a link about one smartweed species: https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/persicaria-pensylvanica/

Sponsored