Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Pee-a-boo!

schoolhouse_gw
10 years ago

(I tried to Edit and correct it to "Peek-a-boo!" but it wouldn't let me. lol)

I was sitting at the table on the back porch having tea. My cat, Pretty, thought she'd squeeze through the Cup and Saucer Vine and join me. She couldn't quite make it. :)

This post was edited by schoolhouse on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 16:20

Comments (18)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Oh! What gorgeous eyes! Most humans would kill to have that eye color. She's a beauty.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cup and Saucer, cup and saucer, and teapot.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ha, ha. Had me wondering. Peek a boo kitty. Also like the photo of both cup and saucer items.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

What a perfect way to start my morning! Both pictures are wonderful, Schoolhouse. Your still life is lovely and the flowers on your tea cup echo those on your vine and the darker pot sets everything else off perfectly-worthy of an impressionist painting. Of course, Pretty is as pretty does and she made my morning. Beautiful. I giggled imagining her wriggling her way back out of the vines! Now, off to have my second cup of tea and post today's trivia question on the conversation side. You have inspired me to use a real tea cup instead of my usual mug.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Schoolhouse, you do take the prettiest pictures and your Pretty is adorable! Still life is lovely also. I always enjoy your pics.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Yes and that Pretty is always up to something, that's why I try to have my camera handy.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

What a great photo. Pretty's expression says it all!

• User
    10 years ago

Love that picture of the cup and saucer and the tea pot,..i can just imagine you taking a tea break during your gardening chores,..hopefully someone else was the bringer of the tea.

Pretty is an attractive cat,..cottage gardens are a wonderful playground for cats,..i have five wandering among my flowers,..thankfully they respect my blooms.

Philip

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If only Pretty could carry a tea tray. No, it's me from the filling of the kettle, to the listening for the whistle, to the filling of the pot, to the brewing, and to the pouring of the Yorkshire Gold.

Now if only I could break the habit of needing a muffin or cookie to go with those cups of tea!

• Nancy
    10 years ago

What an adorable photo, & how pretty she looks with those wonderful blue eyes. Is it true that a white cat with blue eyes is deaf? I've been wanting to get a few pretty teacups & saucers to have my tea in elegance like you.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Pretty is deaf. My vet said 99% of white cats with blues eyes are deaf. I use hand signals to get her attention and one signal in particular that means "Come and eat!". However, I've been noticing lately that she seems to react to high pitched noises or very loud ones while indoors.

In regards to the teacups, I'll dare to repeat a story I often tell here. I've always collected and used teacups for tea and occasional coffee. A friend joined me once and when handed a fancy teacup and saucer blurted out, "Can I just have a mug?". hee hee

• florauk
    10 years ago

As a child I was given a white kitten. It had one blue eye and one yellow and I was told that was a good thing because she could hear.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Your story reminds me of the one of the British comedies Keeping Up Appearances with the overbearing, pretentious Hyacinth. She serves tea in her delicate china cups when the neighbor comes, makes the neighbor so nervous she always spills. She has to have tea in a "safe" mug.
    Florauk, I had a white cat like that too & he had no problems either. Rather odd looking though. He was always sweet with me, but absolutely loathed my husband. DH wasn't fond of him either when the cat peed in his shoe.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wasn't it her "Royal Doulton with the blue periwinkles" that Hyacinth always tried to give Elizabeth? (think that was the neighbor's name). But she would request a "beaker". lol

This past Monday Pretty had to have FIVE teeth pulled! She went in for a cleaning and was found to have "resorptive lesions" on five teeth. The vet said it was best to remove the teeth now before they became infected and painful, the lesions would eventually destroy the whole tooth. And she's only 3.5 yrs. old. The vet said she is just one of those cats with genetically bad teeth, and her other teeth will probably succumb to the same disease at some point in time and need pulled also. ugh. Poor thing. Cost me $379 too, but it had to be done.

The vet clinic called Tuesday morning to see how she was doing. I told her "so far, so good", she was eating and acting like nothing really happened. After I hung up I went outside and here she was -coming across the yard with a big chipmunk in her mouth! Just had five teeth pulled and she's hunting chipmunks. Fortunately I was able to rush her and chase her down so that the chipmunk was dropped, and he took off for the hills.

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

Love your picture! That cup and saucer vine is beautiful. Did you grow it from seed this year? I've always wanted to try it. Was it difficult to get started?
    Joann

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ghoghunter, I planted three plants not from seeds. Normally, my C&S vine is late to bloom - sometimes not until the end of August. Which must be common because I've heard a couple people make that comment at the nursery when I buy them. "It just blooms too late in the season". This one started to bloom towards the end of July. But I like it because once it gets its roots established it will grow like crazy and eventually bloom profusely. Well this year - look at it! It went completely nuts. Never have I had this vine grow quite like this, but I did manage to plant earlier this year. I think it was mid-May or at least around Mem.Day. Plus there was lots of rain this Spring.

Look how it entwined itself over and up through the metal mesh top table, even tried to climb the side of the house until it fell upon itself, then decided to go horizontally along the window. I knew all along I shouldn't allow it to cling to the siding but I'm curious as to just how much further it will go. The ends of the tendrils do not seem to have those really sticky pads like some vines that stick like glue.
    Plus bees are always swarming over it. So far I still sit at the table and they seem intent on the flowers and not me! I think I'll have to encourage the vine away from my chair tho. ha.

• ghoghunter
    10 years ago

OMG! That looks fabulous! I may have to give it a try. I knew it takes a long time to grow but I didn't realize it could be so vigorous! Only problem will be finding a site with full sun. A lot of my yard gets shaded from trees and shrubs.
    Joann

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The back porch gets only full sun in the morning up until 1pm or so. And I might add that there used to be a tall poplar tree right in front of the porch up until two years ago and the vine still grew in the dappled sun very well. Come to think of it, that's probably why it's growing so much better now - no tree. Duh. :)

Sponsored