Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Need ideas for new garden area :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Next year, I'm planning to put in a vegetable garden. I know this is the cottage garden forum, but I really need some good ideas and I know a lot of you grow vegetables. I am including flowers and herbs :)

While I put in a kitchen garden this year, it's turning into more of a fruit/flower/herb garden with lots of perennials and a few annual beds for smaller vegetables (kind of a mini-potager for the younger nieces and nephews).

The new garden will be for potatoes, broccoli, pole beans, squash, melons, pumpkins, tomatoes, larger root vegetables, and maybe some corn. I need ideas on how big the beds should be and how much will grow vertically. I prefer beds to rows, but some beds can be large (maybe 8' x 8') if that will work for squash, etc.

I'd also like to incorporate some metal arches (which should be going on clearance this fall) for cherry tomatos, cucumbers, peas, beans, etc. The garden should be large enough to hold the sprawling vegetables, but still easy to weed and get around in.

I want this garden to be planned for me and the 10+ year old nieces and nephews, who like to help in the garden. I will probably still add some Peter Rabbit accents and maybe a scarecrow, bench with gourds growing over it, and other fun things for the older kids. Also, planning to have sunflowers, marigolds, nasturtiums and other annual flowers and a few annual herbs in the garden. Again, I would appreciate any ideas and especially pictures of what works in your space.

The smaller veggies, such as cabbage, peas, bush beans, mini-carrots, lettuce, and spinach, are going in the little kids' area of the kitchen garden. If you have ideas or pictures for that space, I'd love to see those, too. Thanks, again :)

Comments (6)

Sponsored