Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Garden Blooms, early August.

Garden is starting to get interesting!!

This is the first of the red Sunflowers - I could kick myself now cause I didn't keep the package!! This started out black - amazing.

This one has yellow stripes on it.

I love the red/black veining on the foliage and buds.

Another colour variation.

Another shot of the red one - this was the first out.

Another shot of the stripy one.

Cynthia - thanks - thought you like to see where Bobbo is!!

Another decorative birdhouse!!

This is our oasis - the back deck. Lily the Cat approves!!

Another shot of the deck.

No kudos - I bought it like this - lol.

Thanks for looking!!

Nancy.

Comments (10)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, I love your garden and deck! Birdhouses are so much fun! Glad you had a place for Bobbo. I really like your other one, too. I am going to hang several this year for sure. Did you get tenants in yours? I need to find a place outside our fenced part or the pups will get the fledglings, I'm afraid. They don't quite get the difference between rodents and birds. ;). Lily is so pretty. I love orange cats.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lily is a happy girl - she loves the back deck. It is her favourite place for a nap! No tenants yet, but they look cute. We really use and enjoy that space..

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I meant to add that I really really like your beautiful dark blooms! They are so cool. Lovely.

I think I will try to put up a house or two this fall, so the birds get used them and maybe investigate them before the time they are ready to build a nest.

Cynthia

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

What beautiful sunflowers you grow ! That is a first for me . Will they still give you seeds ? Next year I plan on trying a bunch of different kinds . Looking forward to it already .
    Beauty of an orchid as well ! I have one similar to that . Not sure if you know anything about them, but they are way easier to care for than I imagined. :)

• ianna
    9 years ago

I love your photos and that really cute birdhouse. I also own cats, 2 cats. One named Midnight and the other Cupcake.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Ianna - I had a Midnight, as you may see. He was my baby, and I loved him dearly - lost him a couple of years ago, sadly. My girls now keep me amused with their antics.

Lilyfinch - I have no idea whether the seeds will 'come true' or not. I grew Russian Giants there last year and the stalks could not support the heads. I switched to the Reds and to another type of yellow. When I had bird feeders in the country the black oil sunflower seed was profuse, and I selected which would grow and weed the rest.

• ianna
    9 years ago

Nancy, so sorry about your cat. I had wondered about your username.. My kitty joined us when our other kitty Sushi passed away at 16 years early this year of an aggressive form of cancer. She's the very first black cat I ever had and quite a fat one now. Ironically our other kitty Cupcake has been losing weight since her arrival.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Uh-oh - someone may be hogging the kibble bowl - lol. My boys got fat even though they got diet vets food. I eventually gave up and just gave them nutritionally good food, but they were fat and happy. Black cats are so intelligent, but my ginger girl is pretty smart. As I said, they keep me amused!!

Nancy.

• ianna
    9 years ago

I can only say that when my black cat had to have diet food, I was pestered to no end because she hated it. She so funny and so loving.. hard to stay mad at her.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy,

That is a very impressive Sunflower,..the one with the stripes is also a beauty,..so you also have a cat lol i presumed i was the only cat lover here,.."with 9 cats",..oh i love your Bird House its like a Dolls House,..has anything taken up residence in it,..i note your cat Lily likes the decking which brought to mind i am looking for a Coffee Table with legs not made of wood.

Philip

Sponsored